cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns?

Our items say no returns. Someone wants to return something. Claims defective. First why do I have to. Second why do I have to refund shipping and pay to have it returned

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Returns?

@stumpj79 wrote:

Our items say no returns. Someone wants to return something. Claims defective. First why do I have to. Second why do I have to refund shipping and pay to have it returned

Now imagine you are the buyer of a defective item and explain why your seller should NOT have to do the above?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 16 of 36
latest reply

BE4A9668-9AE1-44A9-AE9A-7D25B0FDFCA5.png

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@stumpj79 wrote:

BE4A9668-9AE1-44A9-AE9A-7D25B0FDFCA5.png

Sorry, not sure on the message you are trying to get across here?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 18 of 36
latest reply

If the buyer returns the wrong item back or is not returned in the condition that you shipped it out in, you can file a internet fraud case through your local police department online. then file a claim through ebay and get your money back. i have had someone return his old damaged mirror off his truck, & a sim card instead of a headlight. had to file fraud case on both to get my money back. it didn't matter what i told ebay they forced me to refund my buyers back. once i submitted the police report to them then ebay refunded me, but buyer still got there money.  

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

@stumpj79 wrote:

First:  You have to because it is the not merely eBay policy but the law of the land.  Check the eBay Money Back Guarantee for buyers.  Check the "Perfect Tender Rule," United States Uniform Commercial Code. 

Second:  The above answer plus  take ethics and morality into consideration:  Would you think it right if you bought something that was defective but you had to pay to get it back to the seller?  You would feel you were being penalized although you were the injured party.  And you'd be right.

If you are in retail, you are going to have the occasional transaction that doesn't go well.  Sometimes it will be your fault.  Sometimes it will be the buyer's fault.  Sometimes it will be no one's fault, really, but "just one of those things."  But whatever happened, it's just business, nothing personal, so be calm and professional and deal with it and move on.

-

-

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

Some people choose no returns and kind of expect the sale to be final.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Expectations of some are not based upon fact.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then why give the option to not accept returns?

-----------------------------------------------------------

That was answered at least 4 times prior to your post. 

Under some circumstances, I have denied remorse returns via eBay.

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

@stumpj79 wrote:

You have to because if you did not have to then anyone selling can sell broken items and say they work and not allow refunds. How would you like that as a buyer? You do not have to pay to have it returned. You can just refund instead. If it is broken, some sellers will not want a broken item back.

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

I do agree the "No Returns" policy is quite misleading, not sure why ebay doesn't spell it out clearly.

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

Because at least some of the people who understood it more clearly would choose not to sell their items here, and that's bad for eBay.

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

There basically is no such thing as "no returns." A buyer can literally return anything they want & the seller is stuck with accepting it/paying for RT transit or issuing a full refund and letting them keep it. All any buyer has to do is claim some kind of random flaw - even make one up or cause it after receipt. The only "advice" I've ever gotten is to accept it as a cost of selling on ebay and be grateful it doesn't happen often. 

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

You don't have to pay it's return shipping. You can issue a full refund and let them keep it for free.  That can save you some money.

No returns does not apply to defective , arrived damaged or not as described items.

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

Hey @stumpj79 , 

In every listing you post, your listing states:

Seller does not accept returns. This item is covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

That is a direct link to the MBG. Click on it. It is a must read for buyers and sellers.

Posting ID
Message 27 of 36
latest reply

@harafkac0 wrote:

I do agree the "No Returns" policy is quite misleading, not sure why ebay doesn't spell it out clearly.

But what makes it valuable to some sellers is that some buyers believe it, so they don't even try to open a claim even when they would be just in doing so.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 28 of 36
latest reply

@824gump wrote:

There basically is no such thing as "no returns." A buyer can literally return anything they want & the seller is stuck with accepting it/paying for RT transit or issuing a full refund and letting them keep it. All any buyer has to do is claim some kind of random flaw - even make one up or cause it after receipt. The only "advice" I've ever gotten is to accept it as a cost of selling on ebay and be grateful it doesn't happen often. 

That isn't completely correct.  There are a few reasons that a buyer can choose when opening a claim which would make it a Buyer's Remorse Claim.  If they do that a seller with a No Return policy can deny those claims if they choose to.

For sellers that have a 30-60 day return policy with buyer pays shipping, that means on a properly filed buyer's remorse claim, the buyer has to pay return shipping.

For sellers that have 30-60 day return policies with seller pays shipping, then no matter the reason for the claim, the seller will pay for the return shipping.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 29 of 36
latest reply

@djvp53 wrote:

Because at least some of the people who understood it more clearly would choose not to sell their items here, and that's bad for eBay.

Oh that's right, profitable little scam they have going there.

Message 30 of 36
latest reply