cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return requested - wrong item sent

Buyer opened a request without contacting me first. Accused me of shipping the wrong item. Demands prepaid return label. Must have me confused with another seller because the item they said I shipped, I've never had in stock.

I ask if they can check the package to make sure they are contacting the correct seller. They aren't responding.

This is why I hate the return process. At this point, they can just ignore me, once the date is past, they can just escalate at any point. If I'm not at my computer 24/7, it can get closed in their favor 5 minutes after they escalate. If they had just messaged me and realized they had the sellers mixed up, they could have just let it be without any further action.

Is there some way I can win this if they never reply back?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Return requested - wrong item sent

As the recipient of TWO wrong shipments this week, I can empathize with your buyer.  Maybe she has you mixed up with a different seller.  You really have to respond with a label.   Just make sure and tell her that this is "the label for X".  If she's mistaken she won't use it and you can get credit for it.  Not responding will give you a defect if eBay gets involved.  You can't risk that.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

the item they said I shipped, I've never had in stock.

If that's in Ebay messages, I would call them .........

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Unfortunately at this point the only thing you can do save any defects is to accept the return which will send her a label.  I just hope you are dealing with an honest who is maliciously trying to send you something inexpensive back that she knows isn't from you or worse yet a bag of sand.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Accept the return to generate a return label, and if anything other than the item you sent, be sure to report her for every violation. If she is confused by sellers, the label will expire and you won't be charged.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@macman4623  Hi macman...if it were me, I would call eBay and ask if there is a way to find the listing number for the item that the buyer wants to return and then compare that with the listing numbers that you have sold.  At that point it should be obvious that the item in question wasn't sold by you.  Please let us know how this gets resolved and good luck!

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Now that I look at it, I sent them something thats worth about $40 and they claimed I sent them something worth about $65. (The items look virtually identical other than slightly different part numbers)

I'll just take the return.

If they do send me back the item that I did ship them, can I withold a restocking fee for a "improper return"?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Now that sounds scary.  It's not worth $65 if they're playing switcheroo with an item that is damaged or non-working.  Maybe you better contact eBay now, with proof in your messages.  Restocking fees will never fly.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

It sounds like they're waiting to escalate as soon as it becomes available for them to do so, to get a quick refund because you didn't send the label. If you do send them a return label, you will most likely get back whatever it is they bought your item to replace. You have been targeted by a scammer, and you have little chance of winning because it is your word vs theirs about what you sent them. You can try to call eBay but we've had little luck in the past with this sort of situation. I'm so sorry that this happened to you. Good luck.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

the item they said I shipped, I've never had in stock.

If that's in Ebay messages, I would call them .........

This^^

I would pull contact info and call them now:)

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@macman4623 wrote:

Now that I look at it, I sent them something thats worth about $40 and they claimed I sent them something worth about $65. (The items look virtually identical other than slightly different part numbers)

I'll just take the return.

If they do send me back the item that I did ship them, can I withold a restocking fee for a "improper return"?

If you receive back the higher priced item, refund and sell it and make more than the original sale.