cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return issues

Just made a sale of one of my refurbished cassette recorders along with a brand new unopened cassette tape of high quality.  The seller requested a return with the reason being that, they just weren't a fan of the machine. In my estimation, they should have done their due diligence prior to purchasing it. They also opened the new tape cassette which now cannot be sold as new. I tried to contact Ebay to perhaps do the refund minus the cost of my new tape that was opened and used; however, the site would not allow me to address my concerns, at least not while processing the return. Even worse, when I called Ebay to get some help the automated voice only redirected me to the less than adequate return page.  I have been a Ebay member for over 20 years and I have never seen such lameness in all those years. I'm thinking of shutting down and trying some other means of continuing my hobby.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Return issues

Did the seller request a return via messages or did they open a return request through Ebay?

If there is a return from Ebay open, did you have any options on the return?

Refund amount

Decline

I have sold many vintage radio/cassette players and in the beginning i would experience similar issues from buyers. What i ended up doing for many was either listing them for parts / repair or when selling the radio, or I would over communicate (Ebay messaging) with the buyer. I would send messages explaining the condition and type of technology and what to expect. If there is no reply from my messages, i would consider cancelling the sale and refunding them. I have had great success selling items like this but i have also added a lot more messaging and follow ups so buyers remorse can be reduced. That being said, i have sold items with a lot of communications back and forth and the buyer still wanted to return the item. Sometimes it is unavoidable when selling online. IMHO

Good luck

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Id be more upset about the open cassette.  You can take the player back.  The buyer said the didnt like it which is buyers remorse unless they declare not as advertised and then they would be lying.   Still out shipping.  Take the machine back and I think you can charge a stocking fee on an item not returned in its original state.  The cassette is open and not sealed anymore.   Weird all around.  Hopefully the OP can get something back.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@antjenni 

Evidently you are not aware that sellers cannot leave negative feedback for a transaction.  Why would the seller initiate a return? Did you mean the buyer? 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Yes I did mean the Buyer. Thanks for catching that.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply