cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reselling concert tickets

I thought this was illegal especially ticket scalping? I reported it, but the listing still is still there. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155164979735?hash=item24208db217:g:MnUAAOSwLSNjI7Hy&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsC...

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Reselling concert tickets

You thought wrong, only a small number of States have "anti-scalping" laws, Texas isn't one of them.

If it was illegal everywhere, StubHub would not exist and the worlds biggest "scalper" TicketMaster would be out of business.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/PS98/rpt%5Colr%5Chtm/98-R-0382.htm

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Cant be illegal because alot of 3rd party ticket selling sites would never exist. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Scalping can be illegal on the premises of the event, but that's a local issue and really the extent of most scalping laws. At two different events last year (Cubs game at Wrigley and Michigan football game in Ann Arbor), I, along with friends, were detained for short periods and questioned about possible scalping violations. Both times, it was just friends settling debts because one person used a credit card to buy the seats together, so we weren't kept too long either time. Beyond local, there are tons of ticket brokers, big and small. I have used them numerous times for concert and game tickets. There's big money in reselling tickets (I had friends make a bundle selling Adele in Los Angeles tickets earlier this year). All legal, though I'm sure a couple neglected to pay the required taxes.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

If it offends you, I suggest you not buy the tickets.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Who did you report it to? eBay, the authorities? The listing is still up because you incorrectly identified it as being illegal. However, while it is legal to sell,  it does look like the listing might violate eBay’s additional rules of conduct that are outlined in the Event Ticket policy. It states

”I agree not to sell, trade, produce, or advertise tickets that I do not have in my possession”

Since the listing advises that the ticket is not available until it is electronically delivered in mid-October, technically the ticket is not yet in the possession of the seller. The policy is a bit vague on whether such a technicality is indeed considered a violation.

Below are two links to eBay’s policy on event tickets and Electronically Delivered Goods policy.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/event-tickets-policy?id=4309

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/electronically-delivered-items-policy...

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I'm talking about Ebay allowing the listing...not about the states.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Yep. I was talking about Ebay allowing this listing. It had nothing to do with the states. I am aware some states don't care. I had reported it to Ebay and there was an event ticket policy like you stated that i saw.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

eventresale.JPG

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I guess Ebay doesn't have a problem with ticket reselling on its site. Even electronic delivery 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

This is a floor seat ticket! This is a listing for only ONE TICKET BUT I do have two in total; please let me know if you would like two! They are in the same section just not together - a few seats apart”

Now THAT is definitely against eBay policy.

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Zlovernow,

Just curious do you even care? 

I have never  had an issue paying above face value for a ticket to a event I wanted to go to.

I have been blessed to be able to go many major sporting events in my lifetime but I still have a few on bucket list before I depart this planet. I have no problem paying a scalper if I have to. You only live life once. 

Still on my bucket list

1. Kentucky Derby

2. Final round of the Masters

3. Indianapolis 500

4. World Cup soccer championship game

5. Final round of the Ryder Cup

6. Superbowl 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@nocoolnamejane wrote:

This is a floor seat ticket! This is a listing for only ONE TICKET BUT I do have two in total; please let me know if you would like two! They are in the same section just not together - a few seats apart”

Now THAT is definitely against eBay policy.

Which policy? Unless there is an explicit offer of an off eBay transaction I don't see the issue.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

If they want to sell two tickets, they should list two tickets.

I don’t think the policy requires a seller to explicitly spell out they’re willing to go off eBay for the 2nd ticket, implying it is enough.

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@zlovernow wrote:

eventresale.JPG

But it does have something to do with the states (or local entities).  Under "detailed reason" above, it clearly points out that the event has to be "in regulated locations" and found to not be following the "guidelines for that location." So the assumption is that you did due diligence and checked the event location and the state and local requirements for that venue. So I guess the question has to be, did you research the event venue location and the applicable regulation and guidelines before reporting the listing?

Message 15 of 17
latest reply