cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replica Coins used in other items. Legality?

I hope someone can provide advice. I have already searched online, with no answer. So, I bought several copy/replica Silver Walking Liberty coins. They didn't have the word copy on them. They are still great looking, so I made some into belt buckles. Anyway, I was practically threatened with legal issues if I sold them. However, I'm not selling the coins, I'm selling items with the coins as a decorative centerpiece. 

My question is, can I legally sell items that include these coins, like belt buckles and ornaments?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I see you use 'style' rather than replica in your listings, is that the problem? The ones I see for sale on the net use replica.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

"Practically threatened"     By who?

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I see you use 'style' rather than replica in your listings, is that the problem? The ones I see for sale on the net use replica.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I already reported the user and they do t contact me anymore. I had another person kindly let me know it was illegal to sell them in buckles because it still contains the coin. I have taken down the listings I had, because I don't want to do anything legally wrong.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

The OP Might want to read the Hobby protection act.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

A quick and not in depth google search reveals.   

It is illegal to sell fake silver coins UNLESS they are marked "COPY"

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Yes. That's why I turned them into part of other items. They are not listed anymore, but I made some belt buckles with them. I wasn't selling them as coins themselves. Just can't decide if they are okay to sell in thst form.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Not sure myself. 

Before ebay days I had a belt buckle that had 2 fake silver dollars on it and replaced them with real silver dollars. Just can't remember where I got the buckle from, flea market maybe? sounds right for the timeline and I don't know what I did with the fake ones that came out or if they said copy on them.  Shoot, I don't even remember where that belt is now with the real silver dollars in it, must be in the bedroom someplace. I used to where it everywhere for many years.  wore it up to when I got the money belt and started using that one. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Hi, i was nosing around looking for information regarding replica coins in jewelry, as a start. I did find the replica coin policy for eBay, see below. 

I’d say it is a risk listing your belts. Ebay doesn't allow replica coins under any circumstance.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/replica-coins-currency-policy?id=5042

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

eBay has over 5,000 listings when I do search for "Coins, replica"

Some,   Listed in a category "Fantasy issue coins"

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

You called them "Walking Liberty coins" and I'm assuming you mean the 1 OZ American Eagles and I would think since they have "United States Of America", date & denomination on them they are defined as coins which would make them counterfeit not "replica" if they are not stamped "copy"

Problem is this stuff has been coming out of China for decades and infesting the market

American Eagles, Silver Dollars, silver bars & more, all can be had for $1 or so each in bulk and they look good, I looked into it

There's a ton of sitting around in collections & surely lots here

That's the reason I no longer buy such things

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Mark them replica.

Only way to say YOU are not scamming some one.....

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Yes you can sell them but you have to make it known that they are Replica coins.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

It is not Illegal to sell them as long as you make it known that they are not real and that they are Replicas

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Who threatened you?
EBay?

Don't try to sell them here ever.

Some rando?

Ignore him.

The US Treasury?

Probably a good idea just to trash them entirely, or melt them if they are silver and not plated.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply