cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repercussions for accepting a return?

I'm having trouble finding this information, if someone could please help.
A buyer requested a return on an item that they claim was not as described.  I disagree on this point, as I have clear pictures and a detailed description.  I have a "no retrun" policy, but offered to take the return if they pay shipping.  They refused.   I can tell this person is gearing up to give bad feedback, and since shipping will prpbably only cost $4, I offered them the return anyway, as long as they select "Changed their mind" for the reason.

I have a wierd feeling they will probably do the return as "not as described" anyway, as they are being particularly spiteful about the whole process.  

My inital question is if I do accept a return that they claim is "not as described" do I get some kind of bad marks against my account?  Are there repercussions?

Follow up questions:
would you dispute the return in that case or just accept it?

If they do select "changed my mind," there *is* a way for me to pay the shipping fee instead of them, correct?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Repercussions for accepting a return?

Just accept the return as is stands now.  The buyer isn't going to change their stance.  More than likely they know the ropes to getting free returns.  Report them for abusing the MBG policy.

Once you get the item back call ebay and tell them what transpired and state your case.  Ebay may very well reimburse your return shipping fees if they find in your favor.  You won't get the return removed from your account but, join the club of sellers who have to put up with false NAD returns as well.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

If the buyer opens a Return Request for Changed Mind or any other not-the-seller's-fault reason, the seller can click DECLINE and the request is closed.  Alternately the seller can click ACCEPT and the buyer has to pay for return postage and IF the seller charged for shipping as a separate fee (vs free shipping) then when the item comes back and the seller goes to refund, the seller can refund the shipping or not.  I never do.

If the bueyr opens a Return Request for NOT AS DESCRIBED or any other the-seller-is-at-fault reason, the seller can only

1. offer a partial refund (seller offers a fixed $, the buyer accepts or declines, and if the buyer accepts then the $ is automatically issued and the buyer keeps the item

2. accept the return (buyer returns, label is printed by the buyer on eBay if the buyer and seller are both in the US, and the cost of the label, when used, is charged to the seller) when the item is returned, the seller must refund the entire payment the buyer originally made, including shipping and handling originally charged by the seller to the buyer

3. ignore the return request (buyer can escalate to eBay after a few days and eBay will automatically find in the buyer's favor, refund the buyer in full, buyer keeps the item, seller gets a transaction defect from eBay.  )  bad decision - don't do this

4. seller can ask eBay to step in.  eBay will almost always find in the buyer's favor so unless there's a huge $$$ at stake, this is another bad choice with the same outcome - seller loses $, item, and gets a defect

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@retrohalloweenhorror wrote:

I'm having trouble finding this information, if someone could please help.
A buyer requested a return on an item that they claim was not as described. 

Generally when a return request is opened for not as described, the request is auto accepted by eBay regardless if you have a no returns policy.  You will not have a say in a not as described return request eBay will send the buyer a return shipping label charged to your account.

You will not necassarily get a bad mark, but you will have some history showing in your service metrics, but one will not hurt you in any way.

I would not dispute the return request.  Things happen right or wrong, you just have to bite your tongue and get through it and then move forward.  Block the buyer and do not look back in spite.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Pro-Tip;

No matter what your return policy, if the buyer wants to send it back, and they are bound and determined to send it back, you are going to end up with the item sent back.

The no return is great for the buyer that doesn't know eBays policies or has some scruples. You can sent a NIB mint item no return and if the buyer says it has a scuff from the packaging process it's not as described if you didn't describe it - or they can just run a sharp blade against your item and Poof - not as described

See how that works?

Make your life easier. A buyer contacts you not happy with something you set - simply say, send it back.

If they say it's not as described; tell them no problem, sorry for the issue, go ahead and send it back here is my return shipping information and let them figure out how to do that because 99% chance they already know to file a SNAD and you are going to pay for the return anyway. If they have not been trained up in the SNAD, if your lucky, they'll pay to send it back.

If it is sold with a 14/30/60 day return policy, help the buyer with whatever information they need to send it back.

If you manage both professionally and with courtesy, in most cases you will come out of the transaction unscathed.

The minute you start arguing with the buyer though - you pretty much are asking for a neutral feedback and if you really make them salty, you are gonna get pegged. Even doing everything right - sellers get dinged - I mean courtesy, respect, helpfulness, etc.

I am sure there are peeps that will disagree with me and I respect that. 

Cheers

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thanks so much for the ehlp everybody!  Well, looks like I'll just roll with the punches and do the return when they request it.  I may have already screwed myself by arguing a bit (I wasn't mean or anything, but I definitely contratidcted his complaints and tried to explain why the item was as described).  Going by his tone, I'm sure to end up with nuetral or negatvei feedback no matter what I do now.  Oh well, that's pretty lame.  I appreciate all the help!  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

He still never respionded after my last message.  I went ahead and sent another reply trying to smooth it over, offering whatever return procedutre he'd prefer.  Again, thanks all!  This was very helpful.  I've really only had to deal with a handful of returns over the years, and the ebay system has always confused me as to what effects my ratings, and what I'm required or not required to do. Happy holidays! 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply