cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote control returns "Doesn't work or defective" when they almost always work

Almost every single remote control i get returned with the reason "Doesn't work or defective" works fine after i get it back and test it. I will end up selling it again and the next buyer has no issues.

The main reason is because people buy the incorrect remote for their device. Secondary reasons were they used dead batteries or inserted them incorrectly.

Every remote return that gets opened is "Doesn't work or defective" after i get the return notification or if they message me before a return is opened i always message them and explain how to test the remote to to verify its putting out a signal etc.

Sometimes they fix their issue by just inserting working batteries correctly.

But the ones who don't respond or have purchased the incorrect remote for their device almost always send me back a working remote and i get a defect.

I wish there was another return option , not compatible or something. I guess "ordered by mistake" would fit but not a single buyer has ever used that return option after i demonstrated to them how to test it and the remote worked fine.

I started reporting buyers that send back working remotes. Not sure what else i can do..

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Thats the perfect  thing to do...report them.  Every time

Judge not others by your own limitations
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Not much you can do.  I deal with this feces on a regular basis.  Just gotta assume buyers don't have a clue and eBay will take advantage of that to screw you out of more money.  Just had a buyer tell my today that the CPU I sold them was bad just to find out they had no technical knowledge and were trying to put an incompatible part in the wrong system.  I will be getting a strike on my account and probably a buyer damaged part back.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Ya i know there is nothing i can really do, just venting i guess...

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@remote_controls_and_more wrote:

Almost every single remote control i get returned with the reason "Doesn't work or defective" works fine after i get it back and test it. I will end up selling it again and the next buyer has no issues.

So going forward, for each remote control, just cancel its first sale, then ship when it sells again, and it won't come back.

Or since you're a top rated seller with 30-day returns, you can

- deduct 50% when it comes back used, and

- get $6 for the return shipping if the buyer's "Doesn't work or defective" reason is a lie.

Top Rated Sellers who offer 30-day-or-longer returns can deduct up to 50% from the refund for the lost value of the item that has been returned after it has been used or damaged.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Maybe i mis-worded what i meant. Out of all the returns i get from remotes they use thee  reason  "Doesn't work or defective". I didn't mean every single remote is returned on the first sale lol

Just talking about the remotes that are actually returned, they are usually  working fine.

Also the remotes are 99% used when i sell them, but i did start reporting them for using the incorrect return reason.

I hope i don't get in trouble with eBay for reporting almost all my remote returns.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I don't know anything about remotes............but is there anyway to explain which ones will work on what devices?.........you have absolutely no information on the listings I saw that would help a buyer determine that.......

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

The buyers are choosing "Doesn't work or defective" so they don't have to pay the return postage. If they chose any other reason, they would have to pay the return postage.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I don't know anything about remotes............but is there anyway to explain which ones will work on what devices?.........you have absolutely no information on the listings I saw that would help a buyer determine that.......

Some remotes works with hundreds of different model numbers, some work with only one.

If you have a device and you need a remote for it, i'm guessing most people would use google to determine the model of the remote they need for their particular device. Or if they have a remote that is broken, they will buy a replacement with the same model number, some remotes actually do go bad, contacts under the rubber buttons get dirty and cease to function unless you take the remote apart and clean it. But i test all my remotes before i list them to verify they are working.

A lot of my listings have compatible device models listed but also some don't.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

i'm guessing most people would use google to determine the model of the remote they need

Then one thing you can do is put that in the listings........  I never depend on what I think buyers might do......give them as much info as possible......  l, 2, 3 things to prevent disappointment......

1 .  Check to be sure this item is compatible with your device:  go to google (whatever) and put in whatever

2.  If the item doesn't "light up" (whatever), even tho you put in new batteries, try another set of batteries.....new batteries can be bad.

3.  Whatever else they can do..........

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Just be grateful your getting back a remote that works  instead of the one their dog chewed up and the "buyer" just wanted a free replacement.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

*******general  reply*******

This is what makes me sick to death about society today. Many people will not even try to learn anything.  As advanced as we are today in technology, it seems mankind is moving backwards rather than forward. Too many people depending on others for answers when many of those answers are so easily obtained by using this technology given just for such purposes.

The biggest thing that turns  my stomach is these same people with the faculties about them  to learn wont, but those who dont have the faculties to learn  so easily are cast aside, ridiculed, and made to fend for themselves, not ever asking to be in that vulnerable position. What the  hell is wrong with THAT picture?

With today's  technology, there is no excuse for the amount of ignorance that plaques society 

When its said, "the strong need carry the weak" didnt mean the strong need carry the lazy, entitled, and slothy bunch

Judge not others by your own limitations
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@remote_controls_and_more wrote:

Just talking about the remotes that are actually returned, they are usually  working fine.

Just curious: are you using an infrared detector card to check that every button on the remote will trigger the LED properly?

Reason I ask is that the remotes for my older devices will start to fail beginning with the buttons that get used multiple times in daily use: Power On/Off, Volume Up, Volume Down, Channel Up, Channel Down, etc. The little carbon pads on the button sheet inside that contact the underlying board will get dirty or worn away, and you end up having to press extra hard to get any response. All the other buttons will be fine.

So a quick test of fresh batteries and mashing random buttons on the keypad will probably work, but one or two specific buttons may test flaky or dead, and they will be the same buttons that have died on the remote that the buyer is looking to replace.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I have been frustrated with this exact thing for many years, not only the defect but in many cases I also waste time having to test the device and money in return shipping.

The one solution that has helped me:

- Make an instructional Youtube video going into all of the details on setup and useage of your remote and explain the whole device piece by piece, then create a small blurb of text that states:

"Dear buyer,

In order to ensure your project goes smoothly your remote was tested and passed as fully functional before shipping. We also provide this instructional video to help if you should need it:

(Paste a QR code image here)

"

Then include a piece of paper with that blurb in every order, like a little instructional sheet, the QR code links to your youtube video.  I did this with a part that I sell and I can fit about 12 of those blurbs of text on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper, I then cut those out individually and slip one in with every order.  It has reduced the returns somewhat, it is worth it to me... And it will take some time originally to create the video and do all that, but once that is setup the time and effort investment for each order would be minimal.

Oh and don't forget to include a link to your ebay item in the Description section of your Youtube video.

win win

Message 14 of 14
latest reply