cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remind me again - FREE RETURNS & SHIPPING - INCREASED POSTAGE CHARGES - INCREASED PAYPAL & ebay fees

FREE RETURNS - FREE SHIPPING - INCREASED POSTAGE CHARGES - INCREASED PAYPAL FEES - INCREASED EBAY FEES.

Remind me why I started selling here again.  BTW, I started in 1998...

Why did I buy stock in a company that does everything it can to screw the seller - bought 2006....

Remind me why a couple of years back I decided to pay ebay to establish a store.....

Remind me why I lied to my customers and said they were getting FREE S&H, when really it was me eating into my small margins.

Free Returns, no even I am not that stupid - good try ebay...  I wonder if they charge those sellers that offer than an additional 10% fee on that return shipping - if they don't yet (watch out fools).

Remind me why I worked so hard to keep 100% feedback (or at least until some moron didn't like an item last year, gave me my first negative and won't do anything about it, even when I offered him a refund minus my S&H costs)...

Please, somebody, remind me... Because I just took my second loss in two days on items (due to the increased S&H, which in turn increased my paypal & ebay fees, and along with my non-existent discount as a TRS.  Please, I need someone to explain to me why I do this...   I really used to love getting unique items or that special item that I found and sold it to get it into the hands of someone that had a memory that connected to it, or just needed something they couldn't find somewhere else.

I wonder if the P.O. understands without internet sales, they will not last for long - no matter how bad they screw the rest of the folks that actually use them.  Ok, I admit we send out 15-20 Christmas cards and some birthday cards - no more heavy cards shipped to New York - just paid $4 to ship one - reminder to self, they now get electronic cards.   Another nail in the coffin of the P.O.

I wonder at what point ebay will flip the switch and go back to helping Sellers as much as they do Buyers....  (or will Facebook or Google decide to take them on.)  Amazon is not any better... 

Remind me again...  I think tomorrow I will sell some stock.  

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Remind me again - FREE RETURNS & SHIPPING - INCREASED POSTAGE CHARGES - INCREASED PAYPAL &am

It isn't unusual to get upset at your workplace for one reason or another.  Many of the things you have stated give all sellers pause from time to time.  But not all of what you state is the fault of Ebay.  So you may lessen your load by being able to separate the issues between what is or can be controlled on the site and what is cause from outside influences and not within the control of Ebay.

As much as I would like to have my costs stay the same over the past 20 years, that just isn't reasonable.  As our cost of products increase over the years, so does the cost of doing business.  So it is unrealistic to think that the fees on Ebay today would be the same as they were 20 years ago.  Annoying to be sure, but it is just part of any business.

USPS and other carriers typically raise prices every year.  Some years more than others.  Not something Ebay controls.

Free shipping was a program that Ebay did NOT name.  It was a Marketing firm [I think of Target, but I could be wrong on that] that came up with the name for including shipping into the price of the product.  Ebay adopted the name when they started allowing sellers to offer Free Shipping, not because they created the name but because it was a widely accepted name for this type of policy.  It was widely used on the internet for a few years before Ebay ever allowed it on the site.  Many sellers pleaded with Ebay for a long time before they finally allowed us to use this type of option.

I don't know why you are eating into your profit margin to allow for Free shipping.  That isn't how it is typically done.  Shipping is just another cost that you add to your other costs of selling any given product.  All those costs plus the cost of the product times whatever profit margin you have chosen for yourself helps you to arrive at what your selling price should be.  You shouldn't be taking your shipping costs out of your profits.

Ebay has always had Free Returns.  It is the same thing as 30 or 60 day returns with seller pays shipping.  That has been an option for sellers for years.  It is just that recently Ebay renamed it to Free Returns.

I love having a store on Ebay.  It has been a good source to save me money on fees for years.  It is a good economical choice to help keep some of my Ebay costs down and I find it to be a very good value.

The return system on Ebay is all messed up.  Got to agree with that.  It just doesn't matter what the buyer claims, the seller is always wrong in Ebay's eyes.  I do hope there is some relief in the rules on this VERY soon.  This is beyond frustrating and extremely expensive for many sellers.

This can be a very difficult site to sell on, there is no doubt.  You get use to a rule and then it changes.  The rules are so fluid that it is really hard to stay current so that you work within the rules or operate the best you can within them.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Re: Remind me again - FREE RETURNS & SHIPPING - INCREASED POSTAGE CHARGES - INCREASED PAYPAL &am

If you bought eBay stock in 2006 you are up about 300% plus you made a huge bundle on the PayPal spin-off if you held those shares that eBay "gifted" to you.

Selling tomorrow isn't a bad idea but you should probably hang on a little longer because the current upswing isn't finished yet.

As far as the rest........

I'd guess you did all those things because you made money doing it. If you didn't I have no idea why you would continue doing it.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

There is no harm in venting a little bit; in fact, at times I think that is almost a necessity of selling here these days thinkingunamusedgrimacing My husband occasionally gets a that-darn-Ebay earful from myself (thankfully, he is a good listener!). The frustration passes eventually, then it's back to the business of listing, and hopefully selling, in spite of it all. At least for now. 

You've been here longer than I have OP (almost 16 years myself) and I'm sure have seen a lot of change in Ebay policies. I know some categories/items have gotten worse for returns and/or scams. It pains me to see the discouragement & damage from often unfair, slanted policies that my fellow sellers are going through these days. I keep my head down and try to sell relatively low-value items now. And mostly have nice-to-very nice customers. But I am also conscious there could be trouble around the next corner with a dishonest buyer, or even a conniving competitor (been there unfortunately, done that). 

Perhaps the recent changes (and possibly more to come?) of some of those in charge will lead to eventual good news & more support for sellers. I'm not exactly counting on it, but one can (perhaps naively) hope. Just looking for that silver lining I guess.. rainbow

OP, I hope you keep going in spite of the present frustrating circumstances. I understand only you can decide what is best for your business. However, Ebay (whether they choose to recognize it or not) still needs great sellers like yourself, who take care in offering those unique & special treasures. That's what brought me to Ebay as a collector of nostalgic collectibles, and a part of what has kept me here as a seller as well. I wish you all the best in the near (& far) future. 

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

@avid.auctions wrote:

"FREE RETURNS - FREE SHIPPING - INCREASED POSTAGE CHARGES - INCREASED PAYPAL FEES - INCREASED EBAY FEES.

Remind me why I started selling here again.  BTW, I started in 1998...

.........."

Ahhhh, because, when you started, it was fun, profitable and an adventure?  And, after that 'flush' was over, because you, like many of us, are a closet, infernal optimist with the deep down secret thought/hope that things will get better?

Sorry, I don't know how the story turns out - that part of the script is still in re-write.  Smiley Sad

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

I started selling on ebay years ago. It was fun,  easy and profitable. I never had any major problems or unhappy buyers.   eBay has changed so much over the past few years that I am now fairly sure this will be my last year selling here. Just as you said, free shipping and returns, higher costs ( you forgot to mention the promoted listing fee increase ) and ever changing policies have pretty much eaten away a decent profit margin I once had. There are quite a few other sale outlets to be investigated. I suggest that you look around. You found eBay years back and you can find another outlet today. It is irritating to me to have to "start over" but that is exactly what I am going to do. I will still use eBay for odd or unusual items that can absorb eBay's fees and wacky policies.  Nothing lasts for ever I guess. Too bad.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Whenever something about eBay gets me down...

I just focus on the thousands of dollars I've spent on booths in antique malls,

finding that after averaging my sales for the entire year, I've barely broke even.

(not to mention the huge cost of time in stocking and physically maintaining those booths)....

... and all the weekends I sat at some flea market venue, from sunup to dinner time, sometimes for less money than I spent in gasoline to do that venue.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Why did I buy stock in a company that does everything it can to screw the seller - bought 2006....

Because you chose to.

Remind me why a couple of years back I decided to pay ebay to establish a store.....

Because you chose to.

Remind me why I lied to my customers and said they were getting FREE S&H, when really it was me eating into my small margins.

Because you chose to.

BTW, I started in 1998...

I started in 2000, and I did not choose to do any of those things.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

I see you have a feedback seller score of zero for the last year. Have you ever sold on eBay?
Message 9 of 31
latest reply

USPS and other carriers typically raise prices every year. mam

Yes and that fact keeps  hurting  our businesses  here . I  normally ship  just small packages and the going USPS rate WAS always 2.66  no matter where I shipped to within the U.S . Now the rate depends on where the customer is located  and it can be as high as 3.00 or more .  Most of us have had no choice but  to either raise our shipping fees or incorporate the extra cost into our pricing  and from what I can  tell customers have taken notice . My own sales have dropped dramatically  since the rise in shipping  fees . Now tack on the extra seller fees and  what we get are a lot of sellers  [like the op] wondering if it's  all worth it. As for myself I'm actually afraid to crunch the  numbers  for fear of finding out  it's actually costing me money to stay . Tulips 

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

"I see you have a feedback seller score of zero for the last year. Have you ever sold on eBay? 

----------

eBay allows users to have more than one account.

Many of us use different ID's to post here, which is different from our main selling or buying accounts.

Thanks
Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

@turquoisetulips wrote:

USPS and other carriers typically raise prices every year. mam

Yes and that fact keeps  hurting  our businesses  here . I  normally ship  just small packages and the going USPS rate WAS always 2.66  no matter where I shipped to within the U.S . Now the rate depends on where the customer is located  and it can be as high as 3.00 or more .  Most of us have had no choice but  to either raise our shipping fees or incorporate the extra cost into our pricing  and from what I can  tell customers have taken notice . My own sales have dropped dramatically  since the rise in shipping  fees . Now tack on the extra seller fees and  what we get are a lot of sellers  [like the op] wondering if it's  all worth it. As for myself I'm actually afraid to crunch the  numbers  for fear of finding out  it's actually costing me money to stay . Tulips 

It is a problem on ALL sites, not just Ebay.  They don't just raise the rates for Ebay sellers.  Which was the point.  It affects us all on any and all sites we sell on.

It is always a learning curve for buyers.  I find that after a carrier increase sales drop a bit as buyers aren't liking the increases.  But in a short period of time, they come to realize that it is everywhere, not just on a few sellers.  It is all sellers and other sites as well.  it will smooth out, it always does.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 31
latest reply

>>I see you have a feedback seller score of zero for the last year. Have you ever sold on eBay?

fonzsharkjump-300x300.jpg

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

infernal optimist

Freudian slip?  I thought it was eternal optimist!

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@bmor3 wrote:
I see you have a feedback seller score of zero for the last year. Have you ever sold on eBay?

This seems to come up a lot lately.  It's called a posting id.  Thus the feedback count means nothing.  

Message 15 of 31
latest reply