cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding the charity donations in listings

Hello I was wanting to know for book keeping purposes (as i made a spreadsheet for taxes and want to program it correctly). When selling an item and 10% goes to a charity of my choosing. Is it 10% of everything (sale price, postage, sellers fees) or 10% of my earnings not including the postage and eBay seller fees? And will the 10% be removed before I get paid, or will I owe it in a lump sum at one time (weekly, monthly,or quarterly)? Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It’s 10% of everything that you charge the buyer (item, your fees, shipping). I’m not sure if it includes 10% of the sales tax the buyer pays, because that goes directly to eBay and not you.

ebay will send you an invoice for the donation periodically. I forget if it’s once a month or what. But they’ll also give you a grace period for when that payment is due. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Be aware that since eBay handles it as an invoice after the sale, if a buyer files a return for refund the 10% doesn’t go back to you when you refund the buyer. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@nanotankmates 

The fund is actually run by PayPal.

To the best of my knowledge the 10% applies to the selling price of the item only

but I could be wrong they might calculate it buy the total the buyer pays.

Charity listings policy

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/charity-listings-policy?id=4286&st=12... 

eBay for Charity Seller Terms & Conditions for Community Selling

https://charity.ebay.com/terms-and-conditions/ 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

My last two invoices were for a percentage of the total collected (not inclusive of the sales taxes). And I can verify that what bigdeals.etc said above is correct - the donation amount isn't recalled from the charity if you refund for any reason.

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 5 of 5
latest reply