cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refunding Item When Auction is Older

I sold an item to a buyer on October 11th. She just contacted me last week to let me know the item doesn’t work (although I was able to get the item working when I received it back).  I typically accept returns on all of my items although this one had no returns for some reason. I may have used a template from another auction. Anyway, I had no problems accepting it back. I’m trying to refund her and she wants it done through eBay and I can’t figure out how to process it. Even under eBay’s Money Back Guarantee, it states the item must be returned within 30 days (which this wasn’t). She doesn’t seem to want to accept any other refund methods. Any ideas? Thanks. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

After 30 days, don't believe a refund can be issued.  Why not just write her a check if you want to refund?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

After this amount of time, you can't refund through ebay. The buyer should be ecstatic that you're willing to issue a refund because you aren't obligated! 

In order to refund, you'll have to send money through PP or another venue. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I wouldn’t mind sending her a check at all. But she wanted payment issued through eBay. So I just thought maybe I was missing something on my end. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thanks! Yeah, I offered to issue it through PayPal or Venmo but she wanted it done through eBay.  And the answers I’m getting confirm that it can’t be done. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Tell her to contact ebay to confirm what you are saying.............that you can't refund on ebay..........

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I did confirm with an eBay representative. He said the only option is to refund outside of eBay. Good to know! 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

If the buyer is not open to payment electronically other than by eBay, I would be inclined to use a USPS money order.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Make sure you keep a receipt of the refund, she could still do a charge back

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Put her mind at ease by telling her that as long as your conversation is documented through eBay's messaging, she will be protected if she doesn't receive payment in the manner you described.  Just make sure you can document whichever way you pay her, whether it's though paypal or another way.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

when I received it back).

It was returned?

Refund.

How much?

Less your shipping costs and fees.

Since you cannot refund through eBay, tell her you will send an etransfer and ask for the email address she uses to send payments to her bank.
(I'm not sure if US banks are set up for etransfers, a kind of wire transfer that has been available here in Canada for about  decade and overseas for much longer.)

Or ask for her Paypal address and send to that.

Or as @soh.maryl suggests, baffle her with the offer of a cheque sent snail mail. You have her name and address after all.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@bobbie1 wrote:

I did confirm with an eBay representative. He said the only option is to refund outside of eBay. Good to know! 

I realize YOU did.........but from what you are saying it sounds like she doesn't accept your answer....which is the reason why I suggested you tell her to contact ebay to confirm it. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply