cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: eBay is "broken"

Like many of you, I saw a dramatic drop in sales/impressions/views around May.  At the beginning of this month, I decided to run a little experiment.  I decided to do something crazy; I doubled my daily listing habit.  That's right, I started working twice as hard.  

The results were about what I expected.  My sales/impressions/views are now all higher than they were pre-slowdown.  Now I understand that doesn't definitively prove anything as far as the functionality of the eBay site.  There very well could be something wonky going on.  But my point is that working harder did pay off.  

If eBay truly is "broken", there's not a thing any of us can do to change that.  The only thing we can do is change how we run our businesses.  We can only control what we can control.  For me, that means working twice as hard.  For you, that might mean something else.  

But I can tell you with 100% surety that trying to figure out what's going on behind the scenes at eBay or sitting on our pitty pots will not solve anything.  In fact, it will just make things worse.  

Just thought I'd share that for what it's worth.  Hopefully, it provides some motivation or insight to someone. For the rest of you that have decided to dig your heels into the negativity,  go ahead and call me a cheerleader or teachers' pet or whatever else.  And go ahead and look at my store and tell me how oversaturated used clothing is and how I'm wasting my time.  My kids ate well this month, my mortgage is paid, and my gas tank is full.  

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

So what people are saying here is "Don't quit your day job?" There's NO guarantee. Lamens terms

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

I wholeheartedly agree with your calculus.  I've seen it play out IRL way too many times to be a fluke.  The more you list, the more traffic eBay feeds you, and the more likely ALL of your items (even older items) are to sell.  Whether that's "fair" or not is open to debate, but it's definitely a fact.

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

I think it's just a function of search - our listings are treated as a sort of cohort, so if one specific type of item sells, like items are raised in search.  Often I'll sell a certain brand/type of computer mouse, and then right after another mouse sells, even if it has been listed for months. Fresh listings have a similar effect.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 33 of 33
latest reply