cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: eBay is "broken"

Like many of you, I saw a dramatic drop in sales/impressions/views around May.  At the beginning of this month, I decided to run a little experiment.  I decided to do something crazy; I doubled my daily listing habit.  That's right, I started working twice as hard.  

The results were about what I expected.  My sales/impressions/views are now all higher than they were pre-slowdown.  Now I understand that doesn't definitively prove anything as far as the functionality of the eBay site.  There very well could be something wonky going on.  But my point is that working harder did pay off.  

If eBay truly is "broken", there's not a thing any of us can do to change that.  The only thing we can do is change how we run our businesses.  We can only control what we can control.  For me, that means working twice as hard.  For you, that might mean something else.  

But I can tell you with 100% surety that trying to figure out what's going on behind the scenes at eBay or sitting on our pitty pots will not solve anything.  In fact, it will just make things worse.  

Just thought I'd share that for what it's worth.  Hopefully, it provides some motivation or insight to someone. For the rest of you that have decided to dig your heels into the negativity,  go ahead and call me a cheerleader or teachers' pet or whatever else.  And go ahead and look at my store and tell me how oversaturated used clothing is and how I'm wasting my time.  My kids ate well this month, my mortgage is paid, and my gas tank is full.  

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

@patmos-8 My usual response to the "ebay/economy, etc" threads is :

It is important to ask the right questions.

"My ebay sales are unsatisfactory. Anyone else?"

Wrong question. Doesn't really matter how others are doing.

"My ebay sales are unsatisfactory. Is it the economy's fault?"

Wrong question. Doesn't really matter

"My ebay sales are unsatisfactory. Is it ebay's fault?"

Wrong question. Doesn't really matter

"My ebay sales are unsatisfactory. What can I do about it?"

Right question. And the correct answer might be different for different sellers.

People who want to spend time asking those other questions are welcome to, of course. But the question that ultimately matters, no matter what platform you are on is: What can I do about it?

You asked the right question, and you are doing something about it. Kudos to you!

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

I don't have the budget to increase my inventory. I will see if I can make the most perfect listings, I could make for the low stock I have on hand, 4 items. I will try to make some profit, but time will tell. I will not succumb to best offers. 

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

Surprised you just realized that when you start listing several new items each day that your views will increase. Reason being is many buyers search newly listed. Those items that are stale and have been collecting dust have typically already been seen so the buyer skips that listing.

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree.........and the only thing you can do is try different things..........some will work, others won't.  Just standing around bemoaning Ebay, etc.....can't do anyone any good.  

True. It would be nice for some to take advice instead of bemoaning Ebay and calling out posters as cheerleaders. OP seems to be on the right track and finding solutions.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

Rah-Rah-Rah!  Bootstraps people, start tugging them in an upwards direction!, It's YOU not the system! Ya worm get to work!

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

If you are listing twice as many items logic deems you should have twice as many sales.   Have you?

I deal in percentages more than number of sales -  if I list 100 items every month and sell an average of 10 (10%) then if I increase my listings to 200 - assuming that they are similar items - I should expect 20 sales per month (still 10%).    However, if I double my listings but only increase by sales by half  to 15 - I have to question whether doubling the time and inventory investment is worth it.   

At some point storage of inventory may also become a problem for some.  The lack of space for additional Inventory storage would prevent me from increasing my listings by 20% much less doubling them.   I'd either need a monthly sell thru rate of 50-60% to double my listings or just list very small items.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

I think majority of people are watching their money. Seeing their 401k take a hit. Along with higher grocery cost, and fuel. I don't think the total blame is on ebay.  The whole world is getting hit right now. 

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

@kathieskorner  I'm a small seller (about 700 listings) of single quantity, long tail items, mostly used and vintage. I understand the "logic" you are talking about, and I think I can safely say, based on my experience and the experiments of other sellers (with similar inventory) , the logic does not apply in real life.....is is fine for math, but meaningless when it comes to selling a large variety of long tail items. (I have no experience with multi-quantity, newer items).

The logic might apply if you are selling in a fairly tight niche, and maybe it does apply to the OP, I can't say.

You are absolutely right that anytime a seller decides to increase listings, he must look at a range of factors (this is a partial list): cost of acquisition, storage costs, even the ability to ship more stuff if sales do increase: shipping supplies must be kept on hand, and of course there are only so many hours in a day---if sales increase and time devoted to shipping increases, will there be enough time to do all the additional listings?

As many businesses have learned through the years, growth may be a goal, but growth must be approached with care. 

As I said above, each seller will have to figure out what works to increase sales. For some sellers, increasing listings might do it. For others, maintaining listing numbers but changing the inventory mix might do it. To me, the important thing about the OP's post is not simply "list more", it is the OPs recognition that , if his sales slowed down and he wants to increase them, he needs to look for a solution. 

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

Touché. And correct re the cheerleaders that we all know.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

It's an infallible rule for me that the more I list and the more consistently I list, the more I sell.

It's finding enough stuff to list that's my problem.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 25 of 33
latest reply

If there were a direct one-to-one correlation between the amount of items listed and the amount of sales you make, becoming a millionaire would be simple.  But it's not quite that simple.  There are too many variables for that to be the case.  So no, my sales have not doubled.  But like I stated in my original post, my sales are now exceeding what they were before the slowdown, so I'm choosing to look at that as a win.  

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

Exactly.  I said that the answer for me was to list more, but that might not be the answer for everyone.  For exapmple (and I'm not saying this is necessarily the case for you), if you're selling niche long-tail items you might want to rethink what you're selling.  I think many of us get emotionally attached to the types of items we sell, but we might need to try to overcome that attachment if we're going to survive.  

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

That's definitely my biggest challenge.  I'm incredibly socially awkward and I hate dealing with people face to face.  But this downturn forced me to get out of my comfort zone, pound the pavement, and start making business relationships.  I ended up finding a wholesale supplier that can provide me with as much inventory as I need at a price that I can be profitable.  So I guess that's a silver lining.  

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

If your current business model is not providing enough profit to buy more inventory, I would implore you to consider "succumbing" to the best offers.  It's better to get some of the money all of the time than to get all of the money some of the time, imo.  

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

@patmos-8 wrote:

That's definitely my biggest challenge.  I'm incredibly socially awkward and I hate dealing with people face to face.  But this downturn forced me to get out of my comfort zone, pound the pavement, and start making business relationships.  I ended up finding a wholesale supplier that can provide me with as much inventory as I need at a price that I can be profitable.  So I guess that's a silver lining.  

Big silver lining!  I'm socially awkward, but when it comes to business can be something of a hammerhead, because business is not personal so I can politely shove my way around.  I pondered getting into another line of goods, but TBH, have changed my line-up so much in the last 20 years that I've run out of line-ups to change to so I'm just selling down now, but trying to find enough inventory for new fresh listings to boost those older listings outta here.  Every time I've been able to round up a good hoard of inventory one way or another, and start active daily and consistent listing, bam! My sales go up.  Of course, I try to stock things that I think will sell - and that's a bit of a science. 

My calculus when it comes to 'list more/sell more/make more' is that the more really salable items one lists, the more older items will also sell, so one can conceivably increase sales without an equal increase in work load.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 30 of 33
latest reply