cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Racist hate speech allowed on eBay

I’d like to get others opinion on this issue.

It appears that eBay is allowing perpetrators of racist hate speech to continue their membership in the eBay community. 

I recently sold a computer to an individual on via eBay. He was a first time buyer on eBay since he had no feedback at all. Shortly after he received his PC, he filed a claim for a refund stating that it wouldn’t start up. He never contacted me prior to his claim filing as is customary. I’ve sold thousands of PCs and I test them again before I ship so I questioned his claim. He didn’t like my message at all. He replied with racial slurs and hate speech. And then to my amazement, he cancelled the claim. This leads me to believe maybe there wasn’t really anything wrong with the PC to begin with.

I informed eBay of the incident and they took immediate action by deleting both feed back. However, they didn’t take severe enough action with the buyers account. The buyer was given a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again instead of a permanent ban. Most of the country has adopted a “Zero Tolerance” on racial or hate speech. To include the military, government, and most volunteer organizations I can think of. However eBay, in this case, has not. I’m wondering what you, my eBay family, thinks about this. I would like to hear back from you weither you think I’m over reacting or if I’m not reacting enough. I am posting a redacted image of the entire conversation so you can get the total picture of what conversation transpired. Tell me what you think.  Thanks

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, what he wrote was reprehensible, sorry you received that awful response.

I am not downplaying his egregious behavior when i say your second message back to him was rude and demanding. On eBay, buyers are not required to send pictures or other evidence to sellers to prove their Not As Described cases.

You questioned his veracity in an abrupt manner, without even considering that he was telling the truth. Just because you tested the computer prior to shipping does not mean he received a working computer.  Shipping damage happens.

And altho user error was likely, i saw little in your responses that suggested you wanted to help find a resolution to his problem. Yes, he should have contacted you directly for help. But as a first-time buyer, it is possible he did not know how to accomplish that. And eBay makes it easier to start a return than contact a seller.

A brand new buyer without a clue as to how the venue works was beyond frustrated and you said you couldnt wrap your head around his problem, rather than inquire about how best to help him.

Instead, you helped him right over the edge. Doesn’t let him off the hook for his unforgivable breach, i’m just saying you did nothing to diffuse the situation, then threw a little gasoline on a burning ember. What if he was telling the truth?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 41 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

I think ebay cares more about making money than ignorant people.

Message 2 of 48
latest reply

If eBay removed the offending comment how can you possibly say that they "allow" it? As far as any actions taken against the buyer, you have absolutely no knowledge of what actions may have been taken.

He never contacted me prior to his claim filing as is customary.

There is nothing customary about contacting a seller before opening a claim. Some buyers may do it and there is nothing wrong with that just as there is nothing wrong with opening a claim without contacting the seller first.

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

Buyers are not required to contact you prior to opening a claim; eBay suggests that they do, but it is not mandatory.  Some buyers may just open a case because of bad experiences they have had when they did contact a seller.

That experience might include unacceptable language, profanity, etc.  

It may be that a pattern needs to be seen before drastic action is taken; this buyer may be on their radar now.

Message 4 of 48
latest reply

" I would like to hear back from you weither you think I’m over reacting or if I’m not reacting enough "
The former.
Message 5 of 48
latest reply

The problem is that what one person sees as “racist hate speech” is just another’s innocent colloquialism.

Without seeing exactly what they said (which of course you can not print) we have no point of reference.

I have a lot of Italian friends (I’m not - my brother married into the clan) and we swap barbs back and forth, good naturedly, on a regular basis. But one day I was chastised by the Speech Police (a non-Italian) for “racist hate speech”. So I (Italian) saluted her, said yes Officer and walked away. No hate or racism was ever intended.

An article in today’s paper talks about a librarian named Sofia Leung who says Library collections continue to promote and proliferate whiteness by their very existence. Apparently Shakespeare, et al, were racists. I’m betting Leung is not a European name.

No doubt that real racism exists. But when common phrases are labelled racist it diminishes the legitimate complaints.

Message 6 of 48
latest reply

I personally would have to read the email conversation before I could/would give you my truthful opinion !! Obviously something transpired that made ebay do what they did !! Without reading/seeing that evidence I can't with a good conscience give you the answer you are probably looking for !! Ironic as this is and has nothing to do with ebay but just about a hour ago I went through a real person to person conflict and the racist remarks made to me were nothing as I am man enough to take that!! But when a weapon came out that made the situation a completely different situation !! So I can relate to your situation !! More than you know !! Don't let that kind of thing bother you and just block that person. Many first time buyers are fine !! But some are NOT !! So be suspicious about them at times !! I know everyone was a first time buyer including myself ! But not everyone is like me !! Good Luck 

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

@surplustech4u   You've reported the Buyer, you got the Feedback removed.  Nothing else you can do.  At a certain point you have to turn it over to the Venue (eBay) which you did and let them deal with it however they want.

While I don't agree with all of eBay's decisions I realize some I can do nothing about ...

As to the racial slur message(s), tell me this, would a bot monitoring system have been able to pick off the message before it ever reached you by say some of th words or phrases the Buyer used?  That is certainly an option for the venue, they have bots monitoring eBay messages to try and catch members taking sales off the site (though many of the messages they flag are NOT doing that).

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 8 of 48
latest reply

If they removed it, it's not allowed.........  but neither they, nor anyone else, can prevent it.........  so the fact that it  happens is not proof of any tolerance.  Punishment.......well to me that's up to ebay to decide since they know the "facts".  just my opinion.

Message 9 of 48
latest reply

"I informed eBay of the incident and they took immediate action by deleting both feed back. However, they didn’t take severe enough action with the buyers account. The buyer was given a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again instead of a permanent ban."

---------

How do you know the buyer was given a slap and told not to do it again?

Did they admit that to you?

And once you've told eBay about any certain problem,

it IS within eBay's sovereign power.. to choose how to deal with that problem.

Just because you believe (and perhaps, rightfully so) that a buyer should be kicked off of eBay .. for some reason.. that doesn't necessarily mean that eBay has chosen that path, themselves, in that situation.

Thanks

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

I guess the title is a little misleading. I meant that eBay is allowing perpetrator of hate speech to continue. I have since changed the title.

You are right. Buyer can file a return claim at any time. I also have the right to refuse a return which I did. 

I just believe that communication can solve a lot of issues before they escalate.

Thank you for your honest opinion.

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

I just posted a copy of the messages. Let me know If you can see it.

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

To answer your first question, yes I was told he was given a warning. You are correct about eBay being a sovereign site which I understand. They can do whatever they like.

Thank you

Message 13 of 48
latest reply

Correct. It is eBay right to do handle it the way they see fit.
Message 14 of 48
latest reply

Message 15 of 48
latest reply