cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question why am I paying a fee for taxes and shipping?

I'm feeling discouraged trying to sell on Ebay anymore I know there are fees but it just feels like it never ends there's a fee for everything and it's not just Ebay, maybe there's a good reason Ebay is charging a fee on taxes and shipping but I'm just not feeling it 😞

Message 1 of 129
latest reply
128 REPLIES 128

Re: Question why am I paying a fee for taxes and shipping?

unfortunately ebay takes every profit we try to make, always finding a way to take it from us and we keep selling on there platform, im in the same boat you are in just keep pushing forward.

Message 106 of 129
latest reply

@mikesdavis wrote:

Nonsense. Nice spin. Ebay itself say they charge a fee on tax and shipping because sellers tried to get around paying a fee by lowering the item cost and raising shipping. Read it in Ebay own words

It is a good thing to understand the history on this site.  Fees on shipping started in 2011. Fees on sales tax started almost a decade later.  We did not pay FVFs on taxes until each seller entered Managed Payments.  Which happen for most sellers between the summer of 2020 and the end of 2021.

Actually it had nothing to do with a seller being moved into Managed Payments. The application of e-commerce sales tax was the result of the Supreme court ruling in South Dakota vs Wayfair in 2018 and that just said it was legal for states to charge tax on purchases made from out-of-state sellers even if the seller does not have a physical presence in the taxing state. It then took the individual states to pass their own separate laws governing the collection of those taxes. Missouri was the latest, and last, to do so beginning 1 January 2023. Prior to that buyers in Missouri were not paying sales tax on e-commerce purchases. The whole situation is rather complex to say the least. 

https://www.pwc.com/us/en/services/tax/assets/pwc-salt-tax-insight-wayfair-5-years-later.pdf 

You are confusing two completely different things.  Fees on sales tax and fees on shipping.  They are not one and the same.  Nor did it start at the same time.

Message 107 of 129
latest reply

@23nyfans wrote:

unfortunately ebay takes every profit we try to make, always finding a way to take it from us and we keep selling on there platform, im in the same boat you are in just keep pushing forward.

@23nyfans 

Then you either aren't pricing your items right or you need to find different products to sell.  Ebay is upfront about the fees they charge.  It is up to the seller to consider all their costs and price their products accordingly and to allow a profit for the item.

Sellers that do listings that are extremely inexpensive items really depend on multiple purchases to earn any kind of profit.  Selling one offs typically will on reap them pennies, if that.

Product sold for 1.75 plus .63 cents for shipping isn't going to make anyone rich.

2.38  Total

.31  FVF @ 13%

.30  Per transaction fee

.63  Shipping

.10  Shipping supplies [just a guess]

1.34  Total

2.38 - 1.34 = 1.04

The above numbers are not exact as I do not have any knowledge of your actual expenses other than your FVFs and shipping fees.  But I'm sure you get the idea.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 108 of 129
latest reply

Your fees are tax deductible at the end of the year just as well are the shipping charges that claim "free shipping". Based on this your profit margins are adjusted at the end of the year meaning you spend less tax on what you earn. 

Message 109 of 129
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:
@mikesdavis wrote:

Nonsense. Nice spin. Ebay itself say they charge a fee on tax and shipping because sellers tried to get around paying a fee by lowering the item cost and raising shipping. Read it in Ebay own words

It is a good thing to understand the history on this site.  Fees on shipping started in 2011. Fees on sales tax started almost a decade later.  We did not pay FVFs on taxes until each seller entered Managed Payments.  Which happen for most sellers between the summer of 2020 and the end of 2021.

Actually it had nothing to do with a seller being moved into Managed Payments. The application of e-commerce sales tax was the result of the Supreme court ruling in South Dakota vs Wayfair in 2018 and that just said it was legal for states to charge tax on purchases made from out-of-state sellers even if the seller does not have a physical presence in the taxing state. It then took the individual states to pass their own separate laws governing the collection of those taxes. Missouri was the latest, and last, to do so beginning 1 January 2023. Prior to that buyers in Missouri were not paying sales tax on e-commerce purchases. The whole situation is rather complex to say the least. 

https://www.pwc.com/us/en/services/tax/assets/pwc-salt-tax-insight-wayfair-5-years-later.pdf 

You are confusing two completely different things.  Fees on sales tax and fees on shipping.  They are not one and the same.  Nor did it start at the same time.

You may not agree with what I said, but that does not make me wrong.  The statement was in part "charging Fees on tax"  Ebay did NOT do that until they became the money processor AKA Manage Payments.  Before Ebay was our Money Processor, PayPal was and PP charged the fees on sales tax.  While Ebay did charge the buyer for the sales tax, they did NOT charge the FVF on sales tax.  Not until PP was no longer our Money Processor and Ebay was.

So for Ebay to be charging the FVF on sales tax, it has everything to do with Ebay becoming our Money Processor.

You are confusing MFLs [Marketplace Facilitator Laws] with FVFs on sales tax.  The implementation of those two things are separate events.  The MONEY PROCESSOR has always been the one to charge their fee on the entire amount of money processed.  PayPal was that until the time each seller was onboarding between the summer of 2020 and the end of 2021.

Message 110 of 129
latest reply

@traditonalproducts wrote:

Your fees are tax deductible at the end of the year just as well are the shipping charges that claim "free shipping". Based on this your profit margins are adjusted at the end of the year meaning you spend less tax on what you earn. 

Yes in part.  Free Shipping does not reduce your taxes unless you are not pricing your products correctly.

When a seller offers Free Shipping, they should be including the cost of shipment in their calculations for costs on a product, then add profit and you have your selling price

So for example:  A listing for $10 and $5 shipping = $15.00 X 13.25% = 1.99 + .30 per transaction fee.

A listing for $15 and free shipping is $15 X 13.25% = 1.99 + .30 per transaction fee.

No one gets real free shipping.  It costs someone.  The program should have been named Shipping Included, but this marketing program was not created by Ebay, it is just something they adopted long after other sites were doing it, so buyers were familiar with it as Free Shipping and Ebay just continued on with that name.

Message 111 of 129
latest reply

Thank you for that information thats something I did not know.

Message 112 of 129
latest reply

@netteee0 wrote:

maybe there's a good reason Ebay is charging a fee on taxes and shipping 

No, there isn't.

Message 113 of 129
latest reply

@ulfesharpe wrote:

@netteee0 wrote:

maybe there's a good reason Ebay is charging a fee on taxes and shipping 

No, there isn't.

For some reason when PayPal charged the fee no one was really complaining, but now that Ebay does, some get upset.  Not sure why, but they do.  All money processors charge the fee on the entire amount received.  

Message 114 of 129
latest reply

How would it have helped small businesses?

That decision by the Supreme Court simply verified that state sales tax could/should be collected on internet sales just like sales at B&M stores as long as the state enacted the required legislation to make that happen.  

The state sales tax charged to the buyer is calculated on the buyer's location, not the seller's.  There are about 5 state that do not charge a state sales tax and thus residents of those states that have their purchases shipped to their addresses will not pay a state sales tax, just like they don't pay a state sales tax when shopping at their local WalMart.

On eBay, the seller's final value fee is calculated on the item price, the shipping fee and the state sales tax, if applicable.  

As others have mentioned, it benefits the states for which eBay collects the state sales tax.  

Message 115 of 129
latest reply

@knicksfan1987 

While I completely disagree with how you said it because you apparently had the need to call the other member names, it could have been explained better to you.

ALL Money processors charge their fee on the TOTAL amount of money they receive / process.  Ebay is no different.  They are now the money processor.

Ebay also has what they call a Simplified fee.  That fee includes their money processing fee and their FVF.  Now for shipping it would equal the same Fees since Ebay charges a FVF on shipping.  

However for taxes, until they onboarded sellers into MP, they never charged their FVF on sales tax.  And before Ebay became our money processor PayPal was, so PP charged their fee on the total amount received to include sales tax.

So since Ebay never charged their FVF on sales tax pre MP, and now Ebay has a Simplified Fee [one fee for money processing and FVF], then we now do pay a FVF on sales tax.

Message 116 of 129
latest reply

Note that they monetize any and everything regardless of what it is. Ebay has become money hungry to meet the needs of the greedy pioneers and share holders. They don't care whether you make money or profit, they only worry about their own. They are forced to collect taxes based on laws they are forced to follow, yet on average we pay for a listing fee as well as a final value fee which in somecases actually puts the sellers at a loss when you consider cost of goods and all the overhead. If you try to list something well over the retail price its flagged and in some cases (very rare) taken down. Its not a open market place but more of a policed (soverign) market place telling you you can not market your business nor market your own branding.

Ebay is a private company and I hate saying it and holds true to everyone, if you don't like their terms you can just leave and go to another venue or you can just work with their terms and adjust as you can to earn a profit. I have seen ebay go from a house of auctioning off items from individuals and then turning to more business oriented sales by companies leaving the smaller person sallers behind because of the little to none profits ebay  would make. Look at all the schemes ebay has and you will see 95% of all are company oriented.

Message 117 of 129
latest reply

I know, how dare they make money, it is only suppose to be the sellers that make money.  They started this site to service the sellers, not to actually create a company to make a profit.  [all sarcasm]  

Have you compared Ebay pricing to other sites?  You will find that Ebay is not the lowest price site, but they also aren't the most expensive.  

The FVF in most categories has not changed for more than a couple of years.

Message 118 of 129
latest reply

It might also be noted here that the fact that eBay is now required by law to collect state sales tax from buyers on their purchases is a relatively recent thing stemming from a Supreme Court ruling in about 2018 (?).

And that could be considered part of the reason that buyers are seeing state sales tax charges as a relatively recent thing plus sellers are seeing their FVF being charged in those instances as fairly new also.  

Message 119 of 129
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

It might also be noted here that the fact that eBay is now required by law to collect state sales tax from buyers on their purchases is a relatively recent thing stemming from a Supreme Court ruling in about 2018 (?).

And that could be considered part of the reason that buyers are seeing state sales tax charges as a relatively recent thing plus sellers are seeing their FVF being charged in those instances as fairly new also.  

I'm sorry I gave you the impression that I did not understand this.  I must of wording things badly, sorry.

Just as a fact to consider.  Other Marketplaces are under the same rules and laws as Ebay yet neither Etsy or Amazon charge their fees on sales tax.  IDK about other similar sites, but these two do not.

Message 120 of 129
latest reply