cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question concerning delivery times.

I will try to keep this short. I sold an item on a Saturday and shipped it that following Monday with USPS Ground. 

About a week later the buyer filed a NAD return request and in the request she stated that the item was fine, however she had purchased it for a birthday present and that it did not arrive in time so she wanted to return it for a refund. I do not accept returns, however I contacted Ebay support twice to ask if I had to accept the return. 

Both reps responded stating that even though this was not my fault, I was responsible and would have to send the buyer a prepaid return label and issue them a full refund.

Has this always been the case? I thought sellers were protected for problems that were out of their control, such as shipping delays.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Yes, this is a rare instance in which CS gave accurate advice. 

When a buyer claims an item is NAD, you must accept the return AND pay return shipping. If you don't do that, ebay will refund the buyer from your funds and let the buyer keep the item free of charge. You'll also get a huge defect on your account for not handling the issue yourself.

ETA: Since the buyer claimed NAD, it's not a shipping delay even though it may have been the true reason for her return.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

and in the request she stated that the item was fine...

@auction_brokers 

It doesn't matter what 'comments' the buyer made.  They will never be considered.  The only thing that matters is what reason they chose from the dropdown menu when filing for a return.  If it was a choice that involved "not as described", you are on the hook to provide a return label and refund.  Otherwise you will suffer the unsavory consequences outlined by @albertabrightalberta in message #2.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the fast response. But wouldn't this fall under Seller protection:

A buyer falsely claims an item was not as described.

She stated in the return that the item was fine. Or do late shipments now qualify as Not as Described?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

How did you contact eBay support?  If you contact them via Facebook or Twitter, those reps actually have power to make changes, while the phone reps usually do not, even though they gave you correct advise mostly this time.  If the buyer put directly in the case that they were lying (essentially, I know that's not their wording), it might be worth reaching out via those methods for chat, as not only can they make changes sometimes, you'll have a transcript to prove what they said if you need to appeal the case.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Has the buyer never heard of a late birthday present?  

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

No such things as "no returns".   EBAY Money Back Guarantee (supersedes "no returns" policy) and allows customers to lie and claim "not as described, counterfeit, defective" (you will be forced to refund purchase price + shipping BOTH ways).   Customers are NOT required to prove any claims.

Sometimes better to allow returns...that way if customer returns item using reason "does not fit or changed my mind" (customer is responsible for all shipping).

I would add this customer to your "block list" and report them for making "fraudulent return" (lying about reason).

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@auction_brokers wrote:

I will try to keep this short. I sold an item on a Saturday and shipped it that following Monday with USPS Ground. 

I do not accept returns....

Of course you do.  If you want to have a chance at resolving any dispute with a buyer in a manner that gives you an opportunity to not lose your money and the item you sold and thereby sidestep negative feedback as well.

The buyer here on eBay is always right.   I've been selling on eBay since 2000 and remember when that was not the case.  (I also can remember when sellers could insert their own html -- including javascript for dynamic menus -- into their eBay listings.)

See if you qualify for top rated seller status.  It will make your life here on eBay a thousand times easier.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@auction_brokers wrote:

Thanks for the fast response. But wouldn't this fall under Seller protection:

A buyer falsely claims an item was not as described.

She stated in the return that the item was fine. Or do late shipments now qualify as Not as Described?

Yes, if it isn't delivered by the last estimated delivery date, they can file an INAD.

The item arrived after the latest estimated delivery date

Covered

The return is treated as if the item didn't match the listing.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@caldreamer wrote:

No such things as "no returns".   EBAY Money Back Guarantee (supersedes "no returns" policy) and allows customers to lie and claim "not as described, counterfeit, defective" (you will be forced to refund purchase price + shipping BOTH ways).   Customers are NOT required to prove any claims.

Sometimes better to allow returns...that way if customer returns item using reason "does not fit or changed my mind" (customer is responsible for all shipping).

I would add this customer to your "block list" and report them for making "fraudulent return" (lying about reason).

It's not a fraudulent return.

If it's delivered late, it's covered by the MBG.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Would this not be considered fraud to falsley claim not as described. If every seller is considered a business like the 1099-c discussions, why does a seller have to accept the fraud and call it good.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Yeah, you know, I would have just given it to them as belated.  Also, IF I am wanting something to arrive absolutely on time I will ask the seller if I can pay for express shipping.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@btjfitter wrote:

Would this not be considered fraud to falsley claim not as described. If every seller is considered a business like the 1099-c discussions, why does a seller have to accept the fraud and call it good.

It's not fraud.

Late deliveries are covered by the MBG as an INAD.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Might be a good reason to offer 30 / 60 day "free" returns, offering No Returns might entice buyers to actually read through the MBG.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

The buyer did an end-run around your 'no returns' policy.  You don't have to offer free returns unless you want to (depending on what you sell it can be costly), but having a 30-day buyer pays (for remorse situations like this) return policy will probably cut down on this kind of thing - it certainly made things easier for me.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 15
latest reply