cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about item paid by eCheck

I sold an item and the seller messaged me that they had purchased an item accidentally with an eCheck. They stated that they would want to cancel and purchase again with debit. I have cancelled transaction on eBay but it does not seem like the pending status of the eCheck is going away on PayPal. I re-listed the item and the customer bought the item again, would there be any conflicts in this situation?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Question about item paid by eCheck

In my experience with Echecks, they work more like checks and take time to clear/ deactivate. You should never ship a product until paypal says an echeck clears for this reason........which can take up to a week or more at times.

If the buyer asked you to cancel inside an ebay message system then you have proof that you only did as the buyer asked so you are in the clear there. Once canceled you are free to relist. If the same buyer then purchases again and pays by immediate payment and paypal gives you the ok to ship........then ship away. All you can do on your end is what ebay asks you to do as a seller. The echeck purchase on paypal should be a totally separate transaction from the 2nd one with immediate payment. If ebay/paypal does not do an immediate automated refund of the echeck canceled listing then you may as the seller have to "not accept" the echeck when it clears.......or there may be a more immediate way to cancel it.

This sounds like a pain but not scary.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

After the eCheck clears, you would refund it.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You can go to PP and cancel the echeck payment.  It is pretty simple.  Just look at the drop down box and select the appropriate action.  It has been awhile since I've done it myself, but I have done it before.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 4
latest reply