cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promotions broken!

The new Promotions/Sales Event Manager that replaced the Old Mark Down Manager is broken.  It won't start new promotions and doesn't allow you to copy the previous ones.  I called Ebay and they said there's something wrong with the new Promotions feature and it's blocking user and they're looking into it.  I used Mark Down manager (old) and the Promotions feature heavily for my sales.  Why would Ebay get rid of something that was working before, replace it with something they haven't debugged completely, and then basically hang millions of sellers out to dry while they try to figure out what is going on with it????????

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Promotions broken!

Mark down manager is not working for a couple days now. I would have thought ebay could fix by now.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I don't think they should charge monthly fees until they fix it, at the minimum

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I think the Seller Community being impacted by Ebay's failure to perform sufficient software testing prior to deployment should ask for restoration of the old Mark Down Manager until Ebay can figure out what is going on and does proper testing of the new Promotions applications.  For Ebay software Developers, there are copious software development practices which follow the CMMI process by Carnegie Melon University, the ISSO standards, as well as new NIST standards for software security (to prevent hacks).  You should either employ those standards and best practices, or hire SW developers who are already familiar with it.  A multibillion dollar company should already know these facts and should follow proven processes and best practices for software deployment.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Please call and complain!  Ebay has a new policy for sales is what they told me.  You can not put an item on sale until after 14 days from listing item or changing the price of an item.  You also can not put another sale on until 14 days after your last sale!  I am very upset by this!  I feel this is hindering my sales.  What hinders a sellers sales also hinders Ebay's profits.  Why would they do this?

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@shopping4rare wrote:

Please call and complain!  Ebay has a new policy for sales is what they told me.  You can not put an item on sale until after 14 days from listing item or changing the price of an item.  You also can not put another sale on until 14 days after your last sale!  I am very upset by this!  I feel this is hindering my sales.  What hinders a sellers sales also hinders Ebay's profits.  Why would they do this?

Yes, I called and was told that 1) We can't put an item for sale unless it's been listed for 14 days 2) If we edit the descriptions, AT ALL, that timer gets reset back to 0. Ie, if I have an item listed for $24 and someone listed one for $23, if I'm 1 day away from being able to put my item back on sale because it's been listed for 13 days... editing the price will reset the wait time back to 14 days. 3) You also cannot put an item for sale even if it has been up for 14 days + the description has not been edited if the item was in a previous markdown sale. So... let's say I have an item for sale for 5% off on markdown manager. I haven't edited the description and the item has been listed for 14+ days. But let's say I want to cancel my 5% sale on it and put the same item for sale for 10%. Nope... timer resets back to 14 days because it was just in a sale.

It is RIDICULOUS. 

Many people think this is a good riddance because SOME sellers jack up prices before putting the item for sale, and that gives the rest of us a bad name. Apparently some buyers complained because they impulse bought items that were marked down without price checking and filtering price + lowest shipping in the search results (a search which takes 30 seconds to do....) and I believe that brought on this drastic change. So, yeah.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

what is going on with it????????

New rules went into effect.  You can't use it on items that have not been for sale for 15 days.  You can not use it on items that were in another promotion, had a price change until another 15 days have passed.  

Don't know if that is related to your issue or not.  It could be broken on top of that as well. 

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

what is going on with it????????

New rules went into effect.  You can't use it on items that have not been for sale for 15 days.  You can not use it on items that were in another promotion, had a price change until another 15 days have passed.  

Don't know if that is related to your issue or not.  It could be broken on top of that as well. 

It is broken in the sense that it doesn't even filter out items that aren't yet eligible to be put on sale. When you go to create a new markdown sale event, it shows you your whole inventory, and only AFTER you've created the event does it start showing everything as being skipped. Would be nice if they only showed items eligible to be put on sale AND had a counter next to non-eligible items saying something like: "You may put this item for sale on (insert date here)" to end the guesswork and confusion of trying to figure out how long an item has been listed for, if you've edited it in the past few days, etc...

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I just got off an 1 & 1/2 hour call with eBay. I have been doing "rolling" markdowns twice a week for 2+ years and now none of my items can be listed for 14 days (last sale ended yesterday the 30th). So much for the planned 4th of July sale!!!  I have never bumped a price (I do understand the concern), but I do use MSRP for our "New Old Stock" in particular and everyone LOVES a Sale - expectically if it is a legitiment Sale price...  This is not right!

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

one would think as many sellers and sales as are being impacted, and revenue being lost by Ebay, Ebay would respond in a reasonable and responsive manner and get rid of this "bright" idea someone in the management chain had (and the person who came up with this).  

it's a publicly traded company, info at:

https://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/overview/EBAY.O

it faces stiff competition from many other online merchandizing companies, so although their actions seem dictatorial and policies Mccabean (instead of punishing the individual sellers with no scruples, punish everyone, i.e. this new rule, charging a sales fee on shipping when the data for the cost of shipping is in their database, etc, etc.) they are subject to the marketplace. 

The link will give you other options for selling online.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

This explains worst 4 days in past 3 years despite near doubling our inventory & adding new size/color options to nearly everything. Would think ebay would understand that there are only 52 weeks in a year and do anything to prevent system wide issues from lasting a week. But no, they seem prioritized on the summer update which, frankly I see nothing from it that makes it better for buyers or sellers. 

This year we've already had shipping costs go up for us, but not other countries that ship to us???  Advertising trending rates keep creeping up but we selling less??  They base the rates off similar items when our products types can come in several different grades/various quality of materials, and some of our designs are unique to us only.  So unfair. 

Every day that goes by that they do not fix these issues,  they impact us all. Is ebay trying to destroy itself so Amazon is eventually in position to buy them out? Just makes no sense. 
Entire system is trying to take more of our money for the same products we have offered, but not taking more from China or other foreign sellers?  Seems like a biased system of a foreign business. Ebay is California based but starting to believe this is a political stunt. Online Sales tax in America and globally is starting to be enforced too.  It's like punching us on all sides and only the most dominant businesses will survive. 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Call them everyday until fixed.  It's more then just a 14 day rule issue. System is not working correctly for many of us and someone must be benefitting because the market comparison % keeps going up. 
Would also submit complaint about this rule as it ruins an item's sales just to correct or update a description. Crazy. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I'm not sure what the full data and logic is behind the new rule.  People love sales!  Some sales convey the value of shopping on ebay to a customer.  We have some brand new in the box, no defect Pajar boots which cost $200-$300 in the store and we sell them at half that.  So we have always put there full REAL retail price as the price and then mark it down 50%.  To me this conveys to the buyer the value of the deals a buyer can receive by shopping on ebay.  It also tells any random buyer that is looking for a pair of boots that does not know the brand that they are quality and maybe they should do some research into the brand.  Yes the MRSP could be put in the description or title but in my experience with buyer questions, many buyers do not read the description....or even the title sometimes!  They want us to offer free shipping, free returns, fast shipping and offer a measley 10% and now I cannot even put my inventory on sale and now have to go through and reevalaute the prices of 1500 listings!  

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Totally understand and agree.  Many sellers like you do the research and do the hard work in showing the customers the value of the products and the savings they realize when they buy items on sale.  We even offer the Make offer feature and often accept reasonable ones.  Our general feel is Ebay keeps tightening the reigns on the sellers of higher end higher quality items, their model seems to be to promote cheap small items that almost cost nothing to ship, why else would they add top ratings for one day shipping?  Our items have to be specially packaged to arrive safely as they are otherwise easily damaged in transit so we can’t do one day shipping. 

Have you tried selling on Amazon,  not all products fit well in that paradigm, but if your items are new you may do well there. 

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

by the way does anyone know why everything gets marked as "Skipped Price"?

thanks

Message 15 of 20
latest reply