cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted Listings are Terrible for Sellers

I would like to hear peoples thoughts.

Ebay want's approx. 10% commission on the sale of an item, Paypal wants 3% + $0.30 Transaction fee, and Ebay also wants to charge 10% on any shipping charges you collect,  as well as 10% on any Sales Tax you have to collect.  and Paypal wants the same amount.

So lets assume you have a $10 sale and it costs you approx. $7 to ship that Item.  For Arguments sake I'm assuming 7% sales tax.  (Since they try to force you to offer free shiping on everything,  Sales tax is included on the shipping amount).

so $17 + 7% =   $18.19 total for the sale.  

13% + $0.30 Ebay Fees on $18.19 = $2.39

Your commitments out of that $18.19 include the $1.19 sales tax, and the $7 shipping. That have nothing to do with profit from the sale.  (Not Including Time, Packing Materials, i.e.: Labels, ink, boxes, envelopes, gas, etc...)

so,  $2.39 out of the original $10 is effectively a 24% sales commision rate.

Now in order to get any visibilty on the listings they are asking for more money,  which is open to a bidding war.  they suggest a starting bid of Approx. 10%.  Which of course will gradually increase as the competition increases,  so I am going to assume it will rise to more like 15% - 20% over time.  (Ebay shows you how much everyone else is paying and lets you know you can't get visibilty unless you bid more than the going rate,  forcing the price up everytime a new seller enters the market)  So they are creating a Bidding war for Visibilty.

Lets apply that extra 15% to the original $18.19,  and that is an additional $2.72. which is an effective rate of 27.2% of the $10 sale.

Now the effective sales commision they are charging has risen to: 51.1% of the original sale.

And that could still go up another 2% sales commision for each 1% the Promoted Listing Cost increases.

at a 20% promoted listing that rises another 9% to  60% of the total sale.

This basically makes it impossible to sell anything for a profit.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this.

I thought charging the %13 + the $0.30 Transaction fee on the shipping  was outrageous which raised the commisions on most sales to between 25% - 30%.  (They already doubled their fees when they did that,  now they are doubling their fees again.)

This new move more than quadrules ( 4x to 5x ), their advertised sales commisions.

They just doubled their fees to %50 - %60 Ebay Commision,  and no one is saying that they are outraged.  But they are still lying and telling everyone they are only charging 10%,  9% if you have a store.

Isn't there anyone who has any thoughts on this subject.  There's nothing you can sell against the Chinese, where if EBAY takes 50% - 60% of your profit right off the top, after you are already paying 10 times the amount to ship an item from the USA than it costs to ship from China,  That you can make a profit on. 

Is EBAY Planning on shutting down every customer (Seller), they've ever had?

Message 1 of 94
latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

Re: Promoted Listings are Terrible for Sellers

About 20 minutes ago, I had another sale of a promoted item, again not from a promoted impression (had to wait till the top of the hour to see if it was).

Message 76 of 94
latest reply

ok..your math.. I was confused and lost by the time it was done.

yes it is expensive and more so with each "extra" thing you add....i would think you need to be selling some better valued stuff..with a higher price tag than $10 to help, but everthing being equal....yes the more you want the more you pay.... is ebay crazy? NO...IT THERE BUSINESS. They try to make a profit..if a seller wants to use it and it helps the bottom line..done. if not , well move on.

NOT all seller need it, nor need a store....All depends....  YOU are using them, there site...use it or move on.... if they fail, you don't lose your house.... is it easier than the past..no.... nor are the thrift store prices as low as they were...GUESS WHAT? they caught on to this on-line selleing by a lot...a lot of people...so are they wrong for raising prices? NOPE....

ebay offers stuff...use it or don't... if it helps, great...but complain about it...really to who? whom? 

I say I'll do this till I can't make a buck...and if ebay goes out of business...I'll figure a new way to make a buck...back to picking up cans! but it isn't the old days....and tomorrow makes today the old days...like that huh?

Message 77 of 94
latest reply

@auctionpet wrote:
I'm not even sure which items are the promoted listings. If they're the ones which say 'sponsored', I avoid clicking on them in particular! Saying a listing is sponsored doesn't appeal to me. For this reason alone, the promoted listings would never be for me.

Yes - promoted listings are shown as 'sponsored' listings .... 

I don't know why they just didn't use the word Promoted. All of us who have been here a while equate sponsored listings as off-site listings.

Promoted, sponsored, whatever they want to call it, it is neither promoted nor sponsored when it just shows the listing multiple times in a given search result. They should call it "spammed" listings.

Message 79 of 94
latest reply

Except for electronics, all "venues" are too expensive to do business with. When you have to sell every piece of antique jewelry for $10 or it just sits there forever, something is wrong. eBay has gotten too big and should have a separate site for their stores, promotions, etc. I can't even find an answer to a question because everything is so damned convoluted. I find something and study it only to find out it is only for stores. Charging a % for shipping seems like some kind of fraud to me. I tried free shipping but I just lost more money.
How rich does eBay have to be? I decided a month ago that eBay is a hobby for me, as I make no money.
Message 80 of 94
latest reply

Why would they be eBay shills and writing negative things about eBay??
Message 81 of 94
latest reply

Paying fees to PayPal on taxes sounds iffy to me too.
Message 82 of 94
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@auctionpet wrote:
I'm not even sure which items are the promoted listings. If they're the ones which say 'sponsored', I avoid clicking on them in particular! Saying a listing is sponsored doesn't appeal to me. For this reason alone, the promoted listings would never be for me.

I don't know why they just didn't use the word Promoted. All of us who have been here a while equate sponsored listings as off-site listings.

Yes, Thank you! I too figure it saying sponsored would take me to a page throwing alot of stuff in my face and by some bigwig seller that's already making $ hand over foot! All things equal, I prefer to patronize the littler guy!

Since it says 'sponsored', I'm like "Sponsored by who!?"  I don't feel the need for this type of listing to say anything special, simply give it better placement or highligh/boldt it instead. The sponsored verbage equates to a commercial and these days I hate all commercials!

Message 83 of 94
latest reply

@the.radish wrote:
Except for electronics, all "venues" are too expensive to do business with. When you have to sell every piece of antique jewelry for $10 or it just sits there forever, something is wrong. eBay has gotten too big and should have a separate site for their stores, promotions, etc. I can't even find an answer to a question because everything is so damned convoluted. I find something and study it only to find out it is only for stores. Charging a % for shipping seems like some kind of fraud to me. I tried free shipping but I just lost more money.
How rich does eBay have to be? I decided a month ago that eBay is a hobby for me, as I make no money.

I look at eBay as pocket change or risk money. I don't count eBay as income, because unlike my general business and other venues that I use to sell through, eBay doesn't grow for me, like a normal business does when you invest hard work an time into it. eBay is a micromanaged account site. 

Like today. I made a few bucks on eBay and used it to go see the Mummy this afternoon. Chump change. 

Message 84 of 94
latest reply

@auctionpet wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@auctionpet wrote:

Yes, Thank you! I too figure it saying sponsored would take me to a page throwing alot of stuff in my face and by some bigwig seller that's already making $ hand over foot! All things equal, I prefer to patronize the littler guy!

Since it says 'sponsored', I'm like "Sponsored by who!?"  I don't feel the need for this type of listing to say anything special, simply give it better placement or highligh/boldt it instead. The sponsored verbage equates to a commercial and these days I hate all commercials!

Portal Bait

Message 85 of 94
latest reply

I ALREADY  pay ebay 450.00 a month for a store final value fees why should i have to now pay a percentage of each ad sale to just be seen? i should be seen regardless not relegated to the bottom of the page because i dont want to pay  more for my listings i already pay enough and all sellers should be equal when buyers search for an item  if this takes off sellers who dont promote will be at the bottom of all search results just another way for ebay to claw more money out of us  

Message 86 of 94
latest reply

This is why when today I got notification to use my free promoted listing offer I immediately sent the message to trash - just like I do every other Ebay suggestion message sent to me. 

Message 87 of 94
latest reply

"THEY TRY TO MAKE A PROFIT"  hate to say it but ebay is making tons of money on the backs of hard working sellers just trying to get by TRY to make a profit ?? gimme a break  

Message 88 of 94
latest reply

"higher valued stuff"  what a buyer is willing to pay is what the item is worth. should we discuss the sellers in my category who sell an ad for 1.99 with a 3.00 shipping charge? how is anyone suppposed to compete with these morons? maybe same holds true for this sellers category ??? what we need to do is get rid of the sellers who give their time and product away for $2.40 profit making the market tank for the rest of us, its not like they are making any money by doing this they could pick up cans on the side of the road  and make more money but it sure kills business for the sellers who are serious about their  business. and whats worse is they dont even realize they themselves could make more money by selling for a higher price. like i said a bunch of morons!!

Message 89 of 94
latest reply

@the.radish wrote:
Paying fees to PayPal on taxes sounds iffy to me too.

Why would you think this way?  Paypal charges a fee on the entire amount they are process for.  They do not know anything about the breakdown of the total amount you submit to them to process the payment for.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 90 of 94
latest reply