cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted Listings Halo effect question

I am using different PLS percentages for different categories of merchandise. Right now I have 2 campaigns running at different percentages. I also have low cost items not included in any campaign. 

If a prospective buyer looks at one of my promoted listings but doesn't buy then comes back a few days later and buys a non-promoted item eBay will treat it as promoted anyway and charge me the extra percentage.

Which percentage will eBay charge, the higher percentage or the lower percentage of my current campaigns?

Example:  Item price $7.95 not sponsored.  2 PLS campaigns, one at 5% and one at 8%. 

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it will be the corresponding percentage linked to the initial listing the buyer clicked on.

BUT what happens if the buyer then clicks on another listing of yours that has a higher percentage (not thru the sponsored impression)? Example using OPs parameters: Buyer clicks on the 5% PL sponsored link. Buyer then clicks on the not sponsored 7.95 listing. Buyer then clicks on the listing with 8% PL (within the sellers store and not sponsored keyword search result). Buyer then buys the 7.95 item. 
Is seller charged 5% or 8% for the 7.95 sale?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@b86fiero 

If a prospective buyer looks at one of my promoted listings but doesn't buy then comes back a few days later and buys a non-promoted item eBay will treat it as promoted anyway and charge me the extra percentage.

No, you will not be charged.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@iamalwaysright 

@iamalwaysright wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it will be the corresponding percentage linked to the initial listing the buyer clicked on.

BUT what happens if the buyer then clicks on another listing of yours that has a higher percentage (not thru the sponsored impression)? Example using OPs parameters: Buyer clicks on the 5% PL sponsored link. Buyer then clicks on the not sponsored 7.95 listing. Buyer then clicks on the listing with 8% PL (within the sellers store and not sponsored keyword search result). Buyer then buys the 7.95 item. 

In your example, and in my experience, there would be no ad fee because the $7.95 item is not in any promoted listing campaign.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@b86fiero 

It took me a few minutes to find it, however, there is more info in the Seller Center

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/growth/promoted-listings/promoted-listings-standard 

Screenshot 2024-02-15 120221.png

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@iamalwaysright 

@iamalwaysright wrote:

In your example, and in my experience, there would be no ad fee because the $7.95 item is not in any promoted listing campaign.

Oh I get it. I didn't know the purchased item needed to also be PL'ed. Okay so going back to my example. what if the $7.95 item was PL'ed at 2% and everything else was the same. Would I be charged 5% or 8% for the sale?

Also referring to the "note" in the policy link that you provided, it sounds a bit scary as I wonder how often do the "ebay bots" find false positives in sales thus incorrectly charging us the PL fee for purely organic sale. For instance if another family member in a household (or random person in the same library I'm in) goes into ebay and clicks on your PL link, then afterwards I'm a repeat buyer of yours and go into your store to buy something. It's possible you'll get charged an unjust PL fee because of a common IP address.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@iamalwaysright  

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@iamalwaysright 

@iamalwaysright wrote:

Oh I get it. I didn't know the purchased item needed to also be PL'ed. Okay so going back to my example. what if the $7.95 item was PL'ed at 2% and everything else was the same. Would I be charged 5% or 8% for the sale?

Also referring to the "note" in the policy link that you provided, it sounds a bit scary as I wonder how often do the "ebay bots" find false positives in sales thus incorrectly charging us the PL fee for purely organic sale. For instance if another family member in a household (or random person in the same library I'm in) goes into ebay and clicks on your PL link, then afterwards I'm a repeat buyer of yours and go into your store to buy something. It's possible you'll get charged an unjust PL fee because of a common IP address.

If the buyer buys the $7.95 item within 30 days of clicking on the promoted listing for that item (at 2%), you will be charged the 2% ad rate. The ad rate charged is based on the ad rate you set up for that specific listing. It does not matter if they click on other promoted listings if they do not buy those other items. 

An example I see with my campaigns and promoted listing sales quite frequently is that the buyer will buy several promoted listing items in different campaigns with different ad rates. When this happens I am charged the ad rate that I set and is specific to that item. It is not uncommon for me to have a buyer buy 3 promoted listing items with 3 different ad rates charged because the items were not all promoted at the same ad rate percentage.

As far as the "note", that is very vague to me. I have no idea, sorry.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Wait so your example of your multi item sale with different ad rates per item confuses me about why the halo policy didn't implement for you. If you are charged a PL ad rate for each item with their respective ad rate, that means the buyer clicked on each of the sponsored ads for each item, right? Then when does the halo rate apply? Because it's likely your buyer clicked on each of your sponsored ads in succession.

Also here's something that's got me stumped. Many times I get a sale for multiple items from a buyer where all the listings have their own PL ad rate. But in my sold page I see that only 1 out of the 5 items they purchased was charged the ad rate while the other ones weren't. How is that possible with the whole halo thingy being active?

Sorry Morpheus, I think I just done went down the rabbit hole here.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@iamalwaysright 

The easiest way for me to explain it is by example.

In the screenshot below, the buyer clicked on a promoted listing and added the item to the shopping cart. Then the buyer continued shopping (most likely while in my store or through the Seller's other items link). Then the buyer clicked on and added several more promoted listing items (that were being shown organically) to the shopping cart. The buyer then goes to checkout and completes the transaction.

The first promoted listing item they added to their cart (and paid for) became the Direct sale item. The subsequent items that they added to the shopping cart (and paid for) became Halo sales, even though the buyer clicked on the organic listings, the items were all in promoted listing campaigns.

The screenshot does not show the different ad rates, however, some quick math should show that different ad rates were charged based on the item. The 3 items with the $0.47 charge were selected from the same variation listing.

Screenshot 2024-02-15 155222.png

I have experienced a lag time on the Sold page displaying an item that was sold through a promoted listing. Sometimes the lag time has been upwards of 12 hours. I rely more on the Sales Report that can be accessed on the Advertising Dashboard. I captured the screenshot above from the Sales Report on the Advertising Dashboard.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thanks mcdougle4248 for your help!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@b86fiero 

No problem, glad I was able to help 😊

Message 11 of 11
latest reply