cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prison Time For Postage Fraud

A recent conviction of an Iowa man illustrates the seriousness of cheating the post office. The (former?) eBay seller was convicted of forging and counterfeiting postage stamps, and 3 counts of export violations, and currently faces sentencing of up to 65 years in prison and a fine of up to $2.5m. I guess the law takes this seriously.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Bet there is alot of this going on as there is many sellers selling **bleep** with a 2-3 pound rate for $9.99 free shipping...That includes the item.....I can't compete with this kind of fraud!!!!!

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Hope they put it to him!!!!!

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@kds99 wrote:

A recent conviction of an Iowa man illustrates the seriousness of cheating the post office. The (former?) eBay seller was convicted of forging and counterfeiting postage stamps, and 3 counts of export violations, and currently faces sentencing of up to 65 years in prison and a fine of up to $2.5m. I guess the law takes this seriously.

Do you have any kind of link to this story?   If not, I will file it under fake news.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Prosecutors say Matheny used forged and counterfeited postage meter stamps to ship most of the more than 28,000 packages he mailed to his eBay business customers between November 2015 and May 2017.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@ihavegooddeals4u wrote:

Bet there is alot of this going on as there is many sellers selling **bleep** with a 2-3 pound rate for $9.99 free shipping...That includes the item.....I can't compete with this kind of fraud!!!!!

This was a large part of why I ended up leaving Mercari-- the number of sellers who were blatantly cheating on shipping. I was honest about the weight of my items for shipping, but that meant I couldn't compete with the people who were lying about how much something weighed so that they could get a cheaper postage rate for it.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndia/pr/marion-man-convicted-making-phony-postage

The evidence at trial showed that Matheny operated an eBay business known as “Mathenys” from his residence in Marion. Through “Mathenys,” Matheny sold retail goods to individuals all over the United States and the globe. Matheny used the United States Postal Service (USPS) to ship these goods to his customers; in 2015, for example, Matheny shipped over 28,000 packages with the USPS. Postage posed a significant financial cost to Matheny’s business. To reduce his costs, and increase his profit, Matheny possessed and used forged and counterfeited postage meter stamps on many of the packages he sent to his customers between November 2015 and May 2017.

In 2015, USPS personnel at the Cedar Rapids Main Post Office became suspicious of Matheny’s mailing practices after he kept dropping off his packages at the post office late in the evening at the dock. USPS eventually alerted federal law enforcement, specifically the United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS), that Matheny might be falsifying postage in connection with his eBay business. A review of Matheny’s packages in late 2015 revealed that most of Matheny’s packages had either insufficient postage or a forged or counterfeited postage meter stamp. For example, some postage was purchased at the 3-ounce rate, but the “3” was altered into an “8.” Similar reviews in 2016 and 2017 yielded similar results, and one expert testified that Matheny had shorted the USPS more than $250,000.

In 2017, law enforcement officers executed a federal search warrant at Matheny’s residence, a single-family house in Marion. During the search, the USPIS seized a large number of unusual paper clippings of partial Priority Mail and First Class postage meter stamps as well as a handwritten list of crossed-out Priority Mail tracking numbers. Law enforcement also imaged Matheny’s electronic devices and, on his computer, found a number of unaltered electronic versions of the forged postage meter stamps in question. Later, working with representatives of eBay, law enforcement learned that Matheny was taking advantage of vulnerabilities in the USPS’s electronic postage payment systems to receive Priority Mail treatment for his packages even though he had only paid the First Class rate.

Some of Matheny’s customers lived overseas, including in Israel and South Africa. The USPS required Matheny to make truthful declarations on these exports. Specifically, Matheny was required to truthfully declare whether the package contained merchandise or a gift and also the value of the contents of the package. Matheny falsely certified on these forms that his packages contained a “gift” that was worth a nominal sum such as “$1.90,” when in truth Matheny knew the contents of his packages were not gifts and worth more than what he listed on the forms. This allowed Matheny’s packages to clear foreign customs more rapidly and possibly avoid foreign customs taxes.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

And the sad thing is, this guy is just the tip of the iceberg.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Wow that's stunning.

I always thought the USPS was practically infallible when it came to postage. Thought it was pretty straightforward that if the scan didn't match the package it would either get bounced or come postage due. I guess not!

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@alcoforever wrote:

@kds99 wrote:

Do you have any kind of link to this story?   If not, I will file it under fake news.

Link provided, I guess not fake news.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I guess he should have ran for a political office where he could have got away with anything...lol

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Honesty & truth will make a better ebay

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I've notice many sellers who sell items under $4.75 (shipped from the US) who have many feedbacks about packages arriving postage due, shipped wrong mail class, and other signs of on going postage a fraud. has EBay ever been penalized for allowing sellers to do this? As buyers are complaining Ebay is aware of the issue, and it would be simple matter to flag any feedback that mentions "postage due". It seems that ebay is profiting from the illegal behavior at a rate of about 15% per occurrence. Just from the one seller I looked at, ebay made over 1 million in revenue in partnership with the criminal.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

zombie thread old news 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply