cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price Gouging

Do these sellers realize that price gouging is illegal? I mean, $1,000.00 for 1 ounce of USED hand sanitizer while our nation is facing virus that is killing people is not just wrong, it's illegal. Then there is the fact that as fast as eBay is taking them down they are slipping by, by relisting them time & time again. With the above mentioned item being used, it is potentially not safe anyways. I just don't get how these people are going out buying up as much as they can, keeping it out of the hands of those who fall in the at risk groups & then thinking they will get rich while people are at risk of dying! I just find it really sad that some go that low in our nation. I just really want to know why are these items still for sell on eBay & still being allowed to be posted?

Message 1 of 382
latest reply
381 REPLIES 381

Re: Price Gouging

@robhold56 wrote:

i just dont see a report button...its can of lysol spray for 39.00 and goes up from there

Report a Listing.JPG

The next screen may have more options as they have been adding more in certain categories.  But this is a good option if the listing is not in a category that has the price gouging reason.

Report a Listing Price Gouging.JPG

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 151 of 382
latest reply

Is ebay allowing the spread of a virus ,because of ending a auction listing. Starting at &19.99 ,for a 20 count box of mask. Not gouging ,and not making people pay any more than they want to.  It's a bid to win auction , just like at solerbies art auction. 

Message 152 of 382
latest reply

@moosefrosty wrote:

Is ebay allowing the spread of a virus ,because of ending a auction listing. Starting at &19.99 ,for a 20 count box of mask. Not gouging ,and not making people pay any more than they want to.  It's a bid to win auction , just like at solerbies art auction. 

What?  The listing isn't Ebay's, it is an individual seller's listing.  Ebay is the site in which individual seller's list on.

Ebay has laws to comply with just like anyone else.  They aren't above the law.  

Message 153 of 382
latest reply

I said ebay isn’t doing enough and I’m right. They are not. Shut them down for a few weeks. The sellers will survive and so will the people in desperate need of basic necessities for once. 

Message 154 of 382
latest reply

There story on the news 3/21/20 show on las vegas local news (ABC/NBC and other) that show price gauging on paper towel I hope ebay remove the rest of active listing very soon.

As of today still  approx 5000+ listing for paper towel, toilet paper.

I will use "Report This Listing" as much as  I can to get banned item remove from ebay.

Message 155 of 382
latest reply

You are wrong. Check with the Attorney General in regards to price gouging under Federal Mandated disaster Laws !!!

Message 156 of 382
latest reply

You all have to quit seeking profits off of things that people really need especially during a crisis.  To me you are nothing but low life profiteering during a health crisis like this!

Message 157 of 382
latest reply

@theladyelaine 

eBay is actively ending listings that are related to COVID-19 Price Gouging.

If you wish to help eBay police the 1.3 Billion active listings, eBay employees have given guidance on how to report these listings (new guidance as of March 21)

All listings have a "Report Item" link.

On a desktop/laptop this link can be found directly above the description on the right

On mobile, the button is "Report this Item", scroll down past "About the seller"

Use the following Menu options:

1. Prohibited and restricted items
2. Price Gouging
3. Household items / medical supplies / hygiene/ other / sanitation

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/reporting-price-gouging-ebay?id=5105

report_gouging.jpg

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 158 of 382
latest reply

Well I hope you are being sarcastic. I am a disabled widow so I don't have a way to pay that kind of money for a thermometer no MATTER WHAT. It's not a possibility for me to even pay $20 for a thermometer, let alone $400. And if the people who went and bought out the stores HAD NOT DONE THAT there wouldn't be a shortage! Just go buy what you need. That's called not being a *BL**P*
Message 159 of 382
latest reply

I agree with you about this. I went to Walmart and there was 3 boxes of my favorite kleenex, and about 8 rolls left of ANY type of paper towels. I took 1 box of kleenex even though I have terrible allergies and use a lot-I have about 2 boxes at home. I took 2 rolls of the paper towels. I left whatever I didn't need-even though I am a reseller and could have loaded up on things on my last trip to Dollar General, I left anything I didn't need. Will another more greedy reseller come and clean them out anyway? Possibly. But I will sleep well at night knowing I didn't personally contribute. It's just morally wrong to get lucky enough to happen upon a full baby wipes or other necessities shelf and go OOOH MY LUCKY DAY and buy it all out so you can EXTORT more out of others for the items. Plus it's illegal in our emergency. But I don't need a law to tell me what's right or wrong!
Message 160 of 382
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@theladyelaine 

eBay is actively ending listings that are related to COVID-19 Price Gouging.

If you wish to help eBay police the 1.3 Billion active listings, eBay employees have given guidance on how to report these listings (new guidance as of March 21)

All listings have a "Report Item" link.

On a desktop/laptop this link can be found directly above the description on the right

On mobile, the button is "Report this Item", scroll down past "About the seller"

Use the following Menu options:

1. Prohibited and restricted items
2. Price Gouging
3. Household items / medical supplies / hygiene/ other / sanitation

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/reporting-price-gouging-ebay?id=5105

report_gouging.jpg

Just as an additional comment.  These choices appear when a seller is actually listing the item in the proper categories.  But when they don't, you will see different choices.  So the pic below may be an alternative for you if you don't see the above choices.

Report a Listing Price Gouging.JPG

The thieves can be clever with their creating new selling accounts and posting these type of listing in different categories in the hopes to elude Ebay long enough to make some sales.

Message 161 of 382
latest reply

@quinger86 wrote:
Nearly $2,000 for a single 8-ounce bottle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Purell-Refreshing-Gel-Sanitiser-Sterilizer-Hands-Clean-8-oz-236-ml-Advanced...

@quinger86 

Look again, it is gone.  You need to give Ebay time to do their job.  It isn't an instant thing.  Do your part.  Report these listings as you find them.  That helps Ebay to locate and remove them.

Message 163 of 382
latest reply

Trust me, I AM reporting them. That one had been up for quite a while, though, without any action.
Message 164 of 382
latest reply

@quinger86 wrote:
Trust me, I AM reporting them. That one had been up for quite a while, though, without any action.

It is important to understand that it is a time consuming and difficult thing to keep a handle on.  I personally think Ebay is doing a great job with the banned items and price gouging.  Some sellers are really persistent and they are getting creative in how they list these things.  Firing up new selling accounts and posting the listings under categories that they don't belong are just a couple things they are doing.  All in an effort to prolong Ebay finding them and shutting them down.

Message 165 of 382
latest reply