cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential problem with Promoted Listings impressions!

I've been collecting information about what could be a potential problem, and thought this would be a good time to try to get some awareness out there of a potential problem.

I'll start off with some images, as images could describe a situation better than words can:

Promo1.png

Promo2.png

As you can see, as of September 3rd promoted impressions have suddenly taken a dive.

To explain, the blue bars are "Organic Impressions". Meaning the how often your items are appearing in search when buyers "naturally" search for you.

The green part of the bar are "Promoted Impressions", which determine how often you're appearing in your Sponsored/Promoted listings.

It seems the organic (natural) traffic has not experienced any change, but overnight there was a drop of Promoted Impressions!

Who is being affected:

Most of the sellers I know are in Motors, so up until this point I've only found other sellers in Motors who have been encountering this issue. That is partly why I am posting here; if you find you are experiencing this issue, please reply to this post and let us know what category you're selling in! Just because I haven't found this on other categories, does not mean the issue isn't happening elsewhere!

Do Trending Rates help?

It doesn't seem trending rates cause any differences for this issue.

eBay's stance:

Until this point, eBay has not given any official word on this. There's no way to tell if this is truly a bug, or a change they made, or if it's intended. I have asked the forum mods on here last week, and they had not replied. I have reported this issue to phone CSR's, and they have not received any updates from the tech team yet.

Might this also be the natural ebb & flow of eBay, or the current situation our country is in?

That does not seem to be the case. As you can see above, the organic traffic (the blue bar) has been 100% stable through this time.

This means the same amount of buyers are searching now as they were prior. The primary difference we're seeing here is for the promotions only.

This suggests, at least for this specific problem we're facing, that it is not a natural ebb & flow or economic situation. If it were, the organic traffic would have decreased. This would have also shown in the conversion rate, rather than impressions, as impressions are appearances in search, conversion rate are purchases.

Organic traffic being unchanged is hard evidence that buyers are still searching just as much as they were prior. Whether they buy or not is a different question, but that would be altering conversion rate, not impressions.

Furthermore, the change happened literally overnight, on a Thursday which is the date that is traditionally the day of the week eBay does their changes. 

Could this be some type of penalty or punishment? 

I've checked with eBay to make sure we have no penalties or punishments on our account, and they've said we have none. Furthermore, it seems to be category wide, so it doesn't seem to be any sort of penalty, unless if a penalty is somehow applying to the whole category.

Which type of listings seem to be the ones targeted by this change?

Sadly, due to changes in eBay's traffic page, this is IMPOSSIBLE to tell. 

EBay's traffic page does NOT allow sellers the ability to sort by impressions. It does NOT allow you to sort by ANY value other than "Quantity Available". And it does NOT any  longer allow you to save a spreadsheet/report of your information.

So due to these changes, there's absolutely no way for us to research the problem ourselves and find out exactly what listings are being targeted.

We're 100% reliant on eBay to figure out this one, sadly.

Might they have changed Sponsored Listings somehow for this drop to make sense?

If that were the case, it would likely mean that peer rates would have more or less weight in the new system. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Furthermore, any changes to the Sponsored Listing system which decide which listings appear in search, would mean the Sponsored Impressions would naturally move elsewhere. So far, this seems to be a drop across the board of this category, from what I've seen. As mentioned, I don't know if this is hitting other categories, but if you are experiencing this PLEASE let me know.

Why do I suspect this may be a bug

1) As mentioned on the phone by an eBay rep, losing impressions for Promoted Listings not only hurts seller profits, but also helps eBay profits as they are entitled to the trending rate for promotions.

2) Organic impressions are unchanged, while promoted listings are much lower. This raises the question: "Where did all the impressions go?" as it doesn't seem to be a shift in who's receiving the traffic. It seems the promotions just *poof* and vanished. 

3) Sponsored Listings are still showing on the search pages, but have some MAJOR issues. I have a Video linked here to display example what I mean. You can see here, some doubles ARE showing up in the Sponsored Listings section. Not only are they duplicates, but the price seems to be wrong on some of the Sponsored search results, and some of them report "Free Shipping" when the item was NOT free shipping. I searched down the page for additional listings so you can see multiple times on a single search page had this problem.

4) So far, this has been category wide across Motors > Parts & Acessories. But this problem has NOT been observed outside of this category. 

5) One person who I discussed this issue with was also selling in Motors, but was not in P&A. Rather they sold items such as wax/etc. They reported that they DID have this problem at first, but the problem resolved for htem over the weekend of 9/5. Considering it was fixed on that category, suggests it may be a problem that was not yet fixed on our category. Or at the very least, some changing/experimentation is going on.

6) It's likely that issues that would cause such a drastic change in impressions, and therefore changes in sales, would have some sort of warning from eBay. Not to say eBay doesn't change things that could alter your impressions (they do often). But if it were intended for Sponsored Impressions to go from 281,000 to 35,000 overnight, they would have likely informed sellers. 

7) Motors > Parts & Accessories is one of the biggest selling categories on eBay. It simply serves no logic that eBay would WANT impressions to drop for such a large category! And that's assuming we're the only category this is happening to. I've yet to find out if there's others being targeted by this problem! 

What do I hope to achieve with this post and/or what can I do to help?:

I have reported this issue last week, and eBay has been direct with us and said that their queue for tech support is based upon how many reports they have of this problem, and he mentioned something about there still being a follow-up on the case, so that means the report was still in queue. 

In other words, unless the people who are experiencing this problem are able to discover it and report it, it may not be fixed any time soon.

This means it's of the utmost importance for us sellers to check if you're experiencing this problem, awareness is the first step! Then if so, make sure to report it to eBay! I would also appreciate it if you could post here as well, including the category of products you sell in, as any information we could provide eBay about exactly what the problem is could hopefully help in getting this issue resolved as fast as possible!

As mentioned earlier, again I have to stress that one of the biggest problems here is with the changes to the traffic page, we are 100% reliant on eBay to figure this one out. They took away the tools that would allow us to go through our inventory and find out which listings exactly are the ones that lost Promoted impressions. 

Thank you and wishing all the best of luck on eBay. Hopefully we figure out this problem and get it resolved, or at least get an official response, as soon as possible! 

Message 1 of 154
latest reply
153 REPLIES 153

Re: Potential problem with Promoted Listings impressions!

Yes, I notice this too,  and eBay sales plunge at the same time.

IMHO, this is mainly caused by the new implemented required "Item specifics" field, which is a mess, and look like eBay already started applying these incorrectly implemented "item specifics" field to  impressions and searching, that certainly caused chaos and hurting entire eBay sales ... .

Some sellers selling clothes, but being asked to specified if their clothes are wireless ?

This kind of mistakes are very easy to located in this forum.

I mean seriously ?

Again, we, sellers are the victims ....

-

Message 2 of 154
latest reply

I have an initial thought about your graph. And I apologize if you cover this in your post. I skimmed it because I'm short on time but I do plan on reading it later.

All of the affected paid result bars appear nearly identical in height, so I'm wondering if there is some kind of daily cap on impressions, or something that functions as a cap, like a time cut-off or some such thing. Whether it's a bug or not, I couldn't say, but on the surface, I wonder if something like that is happening - you reach a limit on impressions and paid listings ends for the day, starting again the next.

Posting ID
Message 3 of 154
latest reply

@jsph_togo  - I don't believe the new required item specifics apply to the Motors>Parts & Accessories categories at this time.  That's not to say they couldn't be causing issues elsewhere or that there couldn't be multiple reasons for people seeing a drop in traffic across other categories, but I don't believe that is what @zamo-zuan is seeing here.

This issue appears to be very specifically about Promoted Listings.

Message 4 of 154
latest reply

I have bizarre reporting going on which first appeared sometime early in the month. I hadn't been checking that page every day so I don't know the exact date it began. Just as you have reported, it's only PL impressions that have gone haywire, organic is not affected at all. 

Unlike your example, my PL impressions have gone up, way up, to the tune of at least 300 % higher! Happened all of a sudden and has continued day after day. But wait, this event has now gotten even stranger. At first the report was showing these high impressions had ocurred something like 7 or 8 days in a row, but now it is only reporting the past 2 days and current day as  being crazy high.

For example, right at this moment, the report is showing Saturday, Sunday with crazy high PL impressions and today on trend to record the same. Tommorow it will most likely have CHANGED the Saturday number, instead of showing a 300% increase it will have reverted to a normal level. I fully expect when I check on this tommorow it will show Sunday, Monday crazy high and Tuesday on trend to be high.

I have not been saving daily screensots, but if I had, they would show that once the data is 3 full days in the past ... the reported value for that day changes ... from high to a much lower number.

I cannot think of a plausible explanation for this other than some kind of data retrieval glitch. 

These impressions are in the ephemera type categories, mostly postcards. 

Message 5 of 154
latest reply

As someone with no experience with promoted listings, can I ask where that graph came from an what listings it represents?  

Message 6 of 154
latest reply

This is a posting ID but under my selling account, all items are under Motors>Parts & Accessories>Boat Parts.

I am seeing the same thing starting on September 3rd.  September 3rd-10th Promoted Listings were running with the exact same settings as they had previously, but impressions took a huge nose dive.

I turned off all promoted listings after September 10th, just to test to see if there would be any affect on organic impressions with no promoted listings running.  There doesn't appear to have been any affect, but I haven't turned PL back on yet - waiting to see if they resolve whatever this issue is first.

And yes, I have called and reported this to CS and was told it would be reported to the technical department.

Traffic0910.jpg

Message 7 of 154
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

As someone with no experience with promoted listings, can I ask where that graph came from an what listings it represents?  

@luckythewinner  - the top graph can be found in Seller Hub under the Performance tab > Traffic.  That page will show 3 sections, Impressions, Page Views, and Quantity Sold and the graph/reports on that page should represent all active listings.  The graph @zamo-zuan included is the one for Impressions.

The second graph is specifically promoted listings.  It can be found in Seller Hub under Marketing>Promoted Listings.  This graph only represents listings which you have  chosen to include in Promoted Listings campaigns. If you don't have any Promoted Listings campaigns, you won't have anything showing here.

Again you can choose to look at Impressions, Clicks, or Sales.  The graph that is showing is for Impressions.  The blue line shows impressions that were received on the "promoted" version of a listing and the purple line shows impressions that were "organic" (even though that listing is in a promoted listing campaign, that particular impression was of the "organic" version, not the "promoted" version, if that makes sense).

Message 8 of 154
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@luckythewinner  - the top graph can be found in Seller Hub under the Performance tab > Traffic.  That page will show 3 sections, Impressions, Page Views, and Quantity Sold and the graph/reports on that page should represent all active listings.  The graph @zamo-zuan included is the one for Impressions.

The second graph is specifically promoted listings.  It can be found in Seller Hub under Marketing>Promoted Listings.  This graph only represents listings which you have  chosen to include in Promoted Listings campaigns. If you don't have any Promoted Listings campaigns, you won't have anything showing here.

Again you can choose to look at Impressions, Clicks, or Sales.  The graph that is showing is for Impressions.  The blue line shows impressions that were received on the "promoted" version of a listing and the purple line shows impressions that were "organic" (even though that listing is in a promoted listing campaign, that particular impression was of the "organic" version, not the "promoted" version, if that makes sense).

Thanks for the explanation. I was thrown by the 150,000 impressions - mine are closer to 150 🙂

But then I looked at ZZ's account and saw the 50,000+ feedback and understood that he's in a different league than I am! 

As a software engineer, I am trained to look at issues like ZZ has raised and try not to make assumptions. My first instinct is to question whether (a) the impressions have actually dropped, or whether (b) the impressions are actually fine it's just the reporting of them that is broken. 

Message 9 of 154
latest reply

I am also having this issue. My graphs look the same. I reported the issue to eBay for Business via Facebook chat. No reply yet. 

Crazeenydriver has now made a youtube video about this issue. He is is experiencing the same thing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuL6vkMJKzE&ab_channel=crazeenydriver

Message 10 of 154
latest reply

As a software engineer, I am trained to look at issues like ZZ has raised and try not to make assumptions. My first instinct is to question whether (a) the impressions have actually dropped, or whether (b) the impressions are actually fine it's just the reporting of them that is broken. 

Another former software engineer here & my thought is exactly the same as Lucky's.  Is it that the impressions have dropped or is there a reporting issue.  That IS a very odd looking graph.  Did your PL sales seem to match this graph?  My first thought is it's a reporting issue.  

IDK if this helps you at all, but I looked at my graph & I use PL's quite a bit.   I sell mainly in Fashion & my graph looks perfectly normal & I am not having this problem.   My purple & blue lines match up quite closely & nowhere does my PL Impressions line dip below the Organic line.   

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 154
latest reply

I personally am having a problem with sales and my graph looks very similar, have tried many different things to switch things up, even tried having my shop ‘reset’ by eBay assistant, hasn’t seemed to help at all

category: mostly phone accessories> memory cards

Message 12 of 154
latest reply

Nothing to see here. Promoted listing only show a couple on each page. You sell in one of the most saturated categories so there are hundreds of pages. Most sellers here do not have that problem so please don't pull the scare tactic making people who come here think Ebay is hiding their items.  Maybe it would be best to mix your over saturated items with some stuff that has less competition ? You can also open your own website and get more traffic ?

Message 13 of 154
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. I was thrown by the 150,000 impressions - mine are closer to 150 🙂

But then I looked at ZZ's account and saw the 50,000+ feedback and understood that he's in a different league than I am! 

@luckythewinner that's a great question. So far most of the sellers I have seen reporting being affected by this issue are also reporting seeing a significant drop in sales during the affected time period as well.

While that isn't 100% proof, it does lend some credibility to this being an actual drop in impressions, not just an error in the reporting.

Message 14 of 154
latest reply

Thanks for the information.    My impressions seem to be consistent, but yes since 9/3 my sales have dropped dramatically. 

Message 15 of 154
latest reply