cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postcard Categories ERASED OVERNIGHT with NO ITEM SPECIFICS

There were probably a hundred or more postcard categories. eBay nuked them and put all postcards in two categories:

Topographical Postcard

Non-Topographical Postcards

eBay always has been claiming that they make these changes to help buyers find our items. But they also removed all of the item specifics. The item specifics we did have are now generic item specifics, so the user can't use them in the left hand navigation search.

Can someone at eBay explain to me how this is supposed to help sellers? I have added hundreds of postcards to my inventory for fourth quarter and now I am concerned that my buyers are going to have 10x more trouble finding them. 4th Quarter is the absolute WORST time for eBay to make this change. 

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: Postcard Categories ERASED OVERNIGHT with NO ITEM SPECIFICS

@atavium wrote:

eBay has added the Item Specifics overnight. They aren't perfect but they're much better than nothing. There are a few major issues i've noted right away.

Is there someone one here that works for ebay who can take down these issues and report them to those people working on this. It is better to fix them early. tyler@ebay velvet@ebay 

For example: 

They got rid of the Era item specific and replaced with war times. Before it was Linen, Chrome, Undivided back etc...

They got rid of Posted / Unposted and replaced with Circulated / Uncirculated - and this is the first item specific. REALLY? How often do sellers come across uncirculated cards? Even unposted cards aren't uncirculated. This is going to be misinterpreted to mean Posted / Unposted.

These are the major ones, I'm sure there are others.. This would really help eBay if they would take comment from the actual sellers in the category.

@atavium  I'd suggest sending an email to the structured data team at sdsupport@ebay.com - that's a more direct path to the people who are in charge of things like categories and item specifics. 

Message 46 of 69
latest reply

2021_10_13_07_52_130001.jpg

 I have over a million postcards in my inventory but only a handful of topographical postcards.  This is one of them.

The Merriam Webster Dictionary definition of topographical:  "The art or practice of graphical delineation in detail usually on maps or charts of natural and man-made feature of a place or region especially in a way to show their relative positions and elevations."  The Oxford English Dictionary definition of topographical:  "The arrangement of the natural and artificial physical features of an area.  'the topography of an island'"

The above postcard is a real photo postcard, so eBay would place it in the new "Not-Topographical Postcards" category.

eBay should either do away with the 2 postcard subcategories (Topographical Postcards and Non-Topographical Postcards) or change them to new titles such as Views and Topics.   Note that Topographical and Non-Topographical are mutually exclusive, implying an item belongs in one or the other, not in both.  Views and Topics are NOT mutually exclusive, so a RPPC of the Statue of Liberty could be listed as both a View (New York City) and a Topic (RPPC).

Message 47 of 69
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@topnotchtomes wrote:

As of 6:15 Central time, ebay standard envelope is still grayed out and unusable for shipping.

velvet@ebay?

Hey @coffeebean832! I appreciate you and other letting us know this was still an issue. We let them know and as you guessed, this is similar to last time. They've said that everything should return to normal once the item specifics/category updates complete. We appreciate your continued patience during this process!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 48 of 69
latest reply

college educated people with no common sense

Message 49 of 69
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@topnotchtomes wrote:

As of 6:15 Central time, ebay standard envelope is still grayed out and unusable for shipping.

velvet@ebay?

Hey @coffeebean832! I appreciate you and other letting us know this was still an issue. We let them know and as you guessed, this is similar to last time. They've said that everything should return to normal once the item specifics/category updates complete. We appreciate your continued patience during this process!

velvet@ebay- Is eBay offering a resolution for all these sellers that were impacted without warning? Anywhere from 2 days to a week without being able to access Standard Envelope will really rack up shipping fees. Will sellers be compensated for the cost difference of shipping tracked packages since eBay never gave advance notice of this shipping problem?

Message 50 of 69
latest reply

velvet@ebay- Adding to the above post-

Has eBay sent out any communication to sellers with listings in the postcard category and alerted them that shipping options will be affected- giving them the option to use vacation mode or update their listings with alternate shipping?

I can answer that one for myself because I have some postcards listed on one account- the answer is no. eBay has left sellers in the dark again.

Message 51 of 69
latest reply

I believe this was done by people that don't know anything about postcards for people that don't know anything about postcards.

Message 52 of 69
latest reply

@collectfest wrote:

The two categories are topographical and non topographical. 

A customer comes to me at a show, do you have postcards separated by state or town?  Any Santa postcards? Any real photo postcards? 

@collectfest   I don't know anything about postcards, but I don't understand why you say you can't separate by states. There are many categories in postcards for buyers. Maybe you all are talking about seller's options to list?

Postcards.jpg

Message 53 of 69
latest reply

@max-list wrote:

@collectfest wrote:

A customer comes to me at a show, do you have postcards separated by state or town?  Any Santa postcards? Any real photo postcards? 

@collectfest   I don't know anything about postcards, but I don't understand why you say you can't separate by states. There are many categories in postcards for buyers. Maybe you all are talking about seller's options to list?

Postcards.jpg

much more cumbersome to me. Only been dealing with them 25 years on here. I just go to the shows. Not going to banter about it. Glad that format works for you.

Message 54 of 69
latest reply

@max-list wrote:

@collectfest wrote:

Postcards.jpg

In addition, those dropdowns don't appear on my page. Just checked. Another glitch I suppose. A bunch of mumble jumble on the left side. Just have to click a slew of boxes, gee whiz my wrist hurts and eye hurt looking at it all, lol

Message 55 of 69
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@topnotchtomes wrote:

velvet@ebay?

velvet@ebay- Is eBay offering a resolution for all these sellers that were impacted without warning? Anywhere from 2 days to a week without being able to access Standard Envelope will really rack up shipping fees. Will sellers be compensated for the cost difference of shipping tracked packages since eBay never gave advance notice of this shipping problem?

Hey @coffeebean832! These started working again yesterday for listings that meet the established criteria. Are you still seeing them greyed out? 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 56 of 69
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

velvet@ebay- Adding to the above post-

Has eBay sent out any communication to sellers with listings in the postcard category and alerted them that shipping options will be affected- giving them the option to use vacation mode or update their listings with alternate shipping?

I can answer that one for myself because I have some postcards listed on one account- the answer is no. eBay has left sellers in the dark again.

@coffeebean832 I know this was frustrating and I've replied to your message on another thread about this as well, but to follow-up here, the issue was found and fixed yesterday for listings that meet the established criteria to use these labels. 

I don't believe we will be sending an email out, but we are making updates with pertinent info to the original post found here, so that will be a good place for members to check-in on over the coming days.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 57 of 69
latest reply

I just sent this email to sdsupport:

================================================================================== 

2021_10_13_07_52_130001.jpg

 I have over a million postcards in my inventory but only a handful of topographical postcards.  This is one of them.

The Merriam Webster Dictionary definition of topographical:  "The art or practice of graphical delineation in detail usually on maps or charts of natural and man-made feature of a place or region especially in a way to show their relative positions and elevations."  The Oxford English Dictionary definition of topographical:  "The arrangement of the natural and artificial physical features of an area.  'the topography of an island'"

The above postcard is a real photo postcard, so eBay would place it in the new "Not-Topographical Postcards" category.

Here is my recommendation for what the new Postcard categories should be:

Collectibles

Postcards

Topical Postcards

View Postcards

Postcard Supplies & Accessories

Price Guides & Publications

Here are two of my reasons for the above recommendations:

1.  There are over 9 million postcards and less than 1000 Supplies, so do NOT move Postcards DOWN one level, i.e. Collectibles -> Postcards & Supplies -> Postcards

2.  See the definitions of Topographical above.  Your use of "topographical" is wrong whereas topical is accurate.  Also Topographical and Non-Topographical are mutually exclusive.  However Topical and View are not mutually exclusive, so a RPPC of the Statue of Liberty could be correctly listed in Topical (i.e. RPPC) and View (i.e. NYC).

Also currently I do not see Price Guides & Publications listed under Postcards & Supplies.  Instead over 100 of these items are incorrectly listed in Postcard Supplies & Accs.  I think it is also wrong to use "Accs" as you should spell out Accessories so everyone knows what you mean.

==================================================================================

Please let them know of any changes, improvements, suggestions to make things better if there will no longer be lots of subcategories under postcards.  I know in the past they fixed the Condition field when, for a while, it only accepted "New" and "Used", but gave an error message when "-" was selected.

Message 58 of 69
latest reply

Yesterday I had no listings with item specifics to update.  Today I have 168 listings with item specific updates needed.  Here's what I see going to one of these:

==========================================================================

• These item specifics may apply to your listing.Accept all

===========================================================================

A linen postcard is a postcard manufactured from 1930-1956 that used a higher rag content, so it had a surface that resembled linen.  It is NOT made of linen material.  This is similar to listing a Thanksgiving postcard with a turkey on it, and having eBay suggest a Country of Manufacture:  Turkey.  If eBay wants to be taken seriously they will get rid of "Add recommendations" like these that show an absolute lack of understanding of the items being sold.

Message 59 of 69
latest reply

@somanypostcards wrote:

Yesterday I had no listings with item specifics to update.  Today I have 168 listings with item specific updates needed.  Here's what I see going to one of these:

==========================================================================

• These item specifics may apply to your listing.Accept all

===========================================================================

A linen postcard is a postcard manufactured from 1930-1956 that used a higher rag content, so it had a surface that resembled linen.  It is NOT made of linen material.  This is similar to listing a Thanksgiving postcard with a turkey on it, and having eBay suggest a Country of Manufacture:  Turkey.  If eBay wants to be taken seriously they will get rid of "Add recommendations" like these that show an absolute lack of understanding of the items being sold.

With some one doing the stuff that does not really have a clue to the subject: you expect not asking for irrelevant specifics?????

Thanks for the laugh...

Message 60 of 69
latest reply