cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Ebay Search Engine (unrelated items)

So, today I typed in "Mens Merrell Rubato Shoes" (used shoes) and the first listing shown to me was a pair of Women's Robato shoes. And of the 6 listings, 2 were womens shoes. I spoke to customer service and they said nobody has complained about this and I was the first. They said they want to show people all possible applicable listings. Well, I typed in "Mens" not "Womens". How dumb can you be. The first listing was of course a sponsored listing, so I guess they just want the money as opposed to accurate search results. I would think this would turn off many would be buyers. 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Please excuse me as i had the listing number wrong. There were 13 listings returned, 6 of which were womens. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

It's not the engine it's the driver!

Try this search (include the quotes) and all you should see are mens.

"Mens" Merrell Rubato Shoes

Or as an alternative just use your origin search and then refine with the filters on left.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

On the Advanced Search screen, you can exclude words, such as Women's, from your search.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch

Otherwise, you can click on Mens within the filters on the left when viewing search results.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I had 28 listings returned, all men's.

Not sure how CS can help with search results, though.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

That may be true, but why should a potential buyer have to put Mens in quotes to get the right results. Most people won't know to do that. 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@goldrushfinds wrote:

That may be true, but why should a potential buyer have to put Mens in quotes to get the right results. Most people won't know to do that. 

You don't - I didn't put "mens" in quotes. Just the straight title, exactly as you had it.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Again, may be true, but most would be buyers are not aware of this. I see no excuse for my clear search criteria (including word "Mens") to include womens shoes. 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I can beat you. I came up with 43 results (if I don't enter a condition parameter) of which approx. one third were womens. This search was done from the home page with no other search criteria other than typing those words in the search bar. 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Your "clear search criteria" is Any Words with a little bit of AI that makes sure that at you only get shoes.

FYI - I just ran your original search < Mens Merrell Rubato Shoes > and all I am getting are Mens (22 listings).

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Don't know what you did differently, but those are not my results. I opened Ebay site as a would be shopper would do,  with no other actions or limiting criteria. I then typed in the search bar "Mens Merrell Rubato Shoes" and got 43 results, quite a few of which were womens. Worse yet, when I then added the criteria used shoes (by clicking box under condition), I got 14 results, 7 of  which were women's. I just don't understand why you are all defending this faulty search engine. Think like a buyer, not a seasoned seller who knows this site in and out. 

Screenshot (71).png

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Searched Mens Merrell Rubato Shoes from the home page and also got 22 results of mens shoes.  I can't explain why results are different.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

In some cases if the brand name is capitalized it renders different results than if the brand name is not capitalized.  

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Sponsored over accuracy.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I searched for  "Merrell Rubato Shoes".

That brought up 61 results.

Then clicked on "mens shoes" on the left.

That brought up 22 results, the first one being  the OP shoes.

DANG THAT EBAY SEARCH!!!!

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 15 of 19
latest reply