cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Ebay Search Engine (unrelated items)

So, today I typed in "Mens Merrell Rubato Shoes" (used shoes) and the first listing shown to me was a pair of Women's Robato shoes. And of the 6 listings, 2 were womens shoes. I spoke to customer service and they said nobody has complained about this and I was the first. They said they want to show people all possible applicable listings. Well, I typed in "Mens" not "Womens". How dumb can you be. The first listing was of course a sponsored listing, so I guess they just want the money as opposed to accurate search results. I would think this would turn off many would be buyers. 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Poor Ebay Search Engine (unrelated items)

@goldrushfinds Consider yourself lucky that all you had to look at was women's shoes.

I was listing a men's Scottish Kilt the other day. I ran a search for comps and my search results included a bunch of photos of almost totally naked men in harnesses and other B&D gear.  And that was using the totally normal search terms you would use to find a men's plaid Scottish kilt. I don't know what happened, and I couldn't recreate it when I tried. But something went verrrrry wrong. 😬

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

@goldrushfinds wrote:

I can beat you. I came up with 43 results (if I don't enter a condition parameter) of which approx. one third were womens. This search was done from the home page with no other search criteria other than typing those words in the search bar. 

Huh?

All of my results were men's shoes. I plugged your search query into the home page with no alteration. No women's shoes. No condition parameters.

And I guess we're 'defending this faulty search engine' because our results were not faulty, at least in this search.  If you want a bad search engine experience, try Etsy.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

As evidenced by the variations in the other responses it depends on the parameters of the search. I ran the search using Mens Merrell Rubato Shoes, exact words any order, price + shipping lowest first and got 12 results none of which were women's shoes. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1713349216718.png

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

You get shoes for women because of how you searched.  “Men” is contained in “womens,” which is why you see that result.  Better to search then filter for men’s shoes.  Ebay search isn’t a personal shopper, and they aren’t going to hand pick results for you.  If eBay would try to come up with a more focused result by excluding what it thinks you don’t want, that would be a disaster.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply