cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos being degraded by Ebay adding light gray overlay!

At first, I thought my pure white backgrounds were being changed to a light gray.  But, upon close examination I found that they are simply overlaying a light gray color over the entire image, not just the background, making white items look drab and colors less vibrant.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Why on earth would they change a perfectly good photo when my background is already white?
ra ocr plate.JPG

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Photos being degraded by Ebay adding light gray overlay!

On my screen (iMAC), the flowers in the ebay version look a bit more vibrant. In any event, you have the ability to go in and adjust the photo to make it appear realistic. I think those both look fine.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

For some reason photos look dingy on some views on eBay, but mine are perfectly fine when I actually view them in my store and in individual listings. Your photos look fine, with a white background.

I would not try to adjust the photos as this grayness isn't consistent.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Gray is the most neutral color.  A gray background shows other colors in their most realistic value.  

The Five Keys to Accurate Color Viewing - GTI Graphic Technology Inc. (gtilite.com)

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

It isn't the background, it's the entire image. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

2 light colors...item and background sometimes doesn't work.

I would use a black background to get the true color of the plate.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The plates are exactly the same.  The color of the background changes how you perceive them.  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The gray only affects the background, not the product. But eBay's image uploader auto compresses images to save space that can reduce image quality. You can try saving your images in jpeg under 1500 pixels dimension. 

"What do we live for, if it's not to make life less difficult for each other?" — G Eliot
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

The plates are exactly the same.  The color of the background changes how you perceive them.  

@toysaver  I'm going by what the OP says: "At first, I thought my pure white backgrounds were being changed to a light gray. But, upon close examination I found that they are simply overlaying a light gray color over the entire image, not just the background,"

I've seen this myself, but it's inconsistent and appears to be view-dependent. I've also seen a dingy background without the actual item being changed.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 9
latest reply