cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo backgrounds for clothing. Is white really best?

I have looked over literally 100+ clothing sellers here on Ebay. What I have found is that the sellers with the highest sell through rate and those obtaining top dollar, are not using white backgrounds. It seems as though either faux brick or wood/board backgrounds are netting higher returns (not across the board). I know that these backgrounds may not be optimal for Google search, but they seem to add a certain richness and appeal to the photos, that garner attention. What have been your observations?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

not if white is the color of the item -
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Yes, this is one situation where I definitely will not use a white background (too hard to obtain any definition).
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

When shopping, I prefer white.   It generally makes the item more prominent.  What I hate is extraneous stuff in the background that is not part of the sale.

However, feel free to experiment and do whatever works best for you.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

"When shopping, I prefer white. It generally makes the item more prominent. What I hate is extraneous stuff in the background that is not part of the sale.

However, feel free to experiment and do whatever works best for you."

Thanks for your thoughts. It can drive you crazy trying to figure out what is the optimal way to display your items. All I know, is that I have come across a number of sellers who are killing it, with photos that include a textured background, along with inserts which include the label/manufacturer and one decorative item (like a stylistic image/logo in one corner).
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Trying to calculate things like that is like trying to hit a moving target - it's better not to have a lot of extraneous stuff in the photo, including 'style suggestions' (some of which make it tough to see what the heck the person is selling to begin with), and that's about it.  I use white backgrounds because if I didn't, you'd see my tatty 70s carpet, couch,  wires all over the place, etc.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

The key is simply excellent photos, desirable merchandise. In addition, many of the strongest selling dealers have a following because they list consistently/brand themselves/use social media.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

I use mostly wood background and have found my sales to be pretty good.  I did try a white light box for a while and those items seem to not sell as fast.  

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

I sell china and I hate a white background. 

I use red for almost all of my items. 

Ebay should let sellers decide what works best for our sales. 

One more intrusive, unnecessary interference.

I really don't care what Google wants. 

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

My brother who is a semi-professional photographer advised me to use white.  I have a white muslin and vinyl backgrounds.  When I say semi-professional is that it is a hobby for him - he has a doctorate degree in photography and taught at the same  college here in New Jersey.  He explained to me that no matter what you are taking a picture(s) of white is better because it allows the person viewing the item/person, etc., to focus on just that.  He gave me a set of lights that he hated, but I love them because they mimic natural daylight.  And if done correctly you can take a picture of item/clothing on white if the lighting is correct - sometimes it works for me and sometimes it does not.  

I am a bit rusty in taking pics of items that I use to sell - I just take cat pics now 🙂  He also told me that cell phone cameras will compensate at times if the lighting is not good.  I have not tried that just yet.  

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Backgrounds I avoid when buying and never use when listing:

1. the floor or carpet

2. the ground

3. a shower curtain rod

4. the laundry room

5. posters of famous people 

6. the kitchen counter

7. hanging off the living room curtains or blinds

8. hanging off the fireplace mantle while there's a fire crackling merrily away

9. anywhere that there's a mirror reflecting something you don't want seen

10. over the edge of a cheval mirror

11. the back of the toilet or the toilet seat

12. on top of the dining room table with a floral tablecloth

13. on the seat of a chair unless it's a chair seat 

14. with a beer can next to it for size comparison

15. held with hands that are dirty, calloused (unless you're selling tools or auto parts) or have chipped nail polish

16. in uneven light like through a venetian blind or partly in shade/shadow

17. with the photographer naked when photographing or in front of a highly reflective surface

18. next to items that might be thought to be included in the sale but aren't

I have seen all of these in eBay listings

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

He’s right - I suddenly became a talented and brilliant photographer when I switched from a digital camera to a phone

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Chipped nail polish?

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Just like all the other propaganda bandied about, it really doesn't matter what color background is.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Gee, you must not find much to buy then.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply