cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Dispute, INAD, claims 4pc flatware set was broken

Haven't had one of these for a very long time, and know that eBay has changed since the last one. Buyer claims INAD on a 4pc silverplate set, and then under details, they say, 'Item Arrived Broken', which of course is not possible. Is there a way to dispute this and win? Is there a way to prevent this from happening again? I appreciate any help.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Payment Dispute, INAD, claims 4pc flatware set was broken

@jrkirk 

There is no way to "win" a SNAD.  But you can mitigate the situation as best as possible.  We do not do partials - return for a full refund only.  Especially, when it is a false/dis-honest SNAD.

Be sure to BBL and then report your Buyer from the transaction view for false SNAD/Buyer Fraud.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

@jrkirk wrote:

Haven't had one of these for a very long time, and know that eBay has changed since the last one. Buyer claims INAD on a 4pc silverplate set, and then under details, they say, 'Item Arrived Broken', which of course is not possible. Is there a way to dispute this and win? Is there a way to prevent this from happening again? I appreciate any help.

No, if someone wants to scam the system, they'll find a way.

If you want the item back, approve the return and pay for the return shipping label, otherwise, ebay will allow the buyer to both keep the item and give them a full refund, at your expense.

Here is the eBay link for info>

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handling-return-requests?id=4115

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@jrkirk 

You already offer free returns, so the buyer can return the item for any/no reason.

If you want the items returned before refunding, accept the return and provide return shipping.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@jrkirk 

There is no way to "win" a SNAD.  But you can mitigate the situation as best as possible.  We do not do partials - return for a full refund only.  Especially, when it is a false/dis-honest SNAD.

Be sure to BBL and then report your Buyer from the transaction view for false SNAD/Buyer Fraud.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I was afraid of that from other posts. Is there no way to protect from future such situations?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

If it was not for the potential financial loss to you this would almost be funny. I don't suppose they provided a picture of the broken piece? 😁  If they did please share I am curious what a "broken" piece of flatware looks like. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@jrkirk wrote:

I was afraid of that from other posts. Is there no way to protect from future such situations?

@jrkirk 

No way to protect against a Not as Described claim... accept it. Since you offer Free Returns, you can discount the return if (in fact) the silverplate items do return broken. Just slide the toggle and enter the amount of the 'short' refund to issue after the item(s) are returned. Good luck.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@jrkirk wrote:

There isn't a 100% way to prevent scams as long as you do online selling, but this is what I do to mitigate the situation>

Follow these steps if you run across a scammer

#1 - If you want the item back, accept the return, otherwise eBay will let the buyer keep the item, plus refund them at your expense, plus you’ll get a defect on your account.

#2 - If you receive the item back in a different condition than as sent and/or the buyer lied about the reason for the return, report the buyer>

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/report-issue-buyer?id=4084&st=12&pos=1&quer...

#3 - Block that buyer

#4 - Read this link re Seller Protection>

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protection?id=4345&st=12&pos=2&query=Sell...

#5 - See if this will help:

An item that is returned after it was used or damaged by the buyer

Sellers who offer free returns and who are not Below Standard are eligible for this protection

• You can deduct up to 50% from the refund to recover the lost value of the item
  • We will take care of any issues directly with the buyer for you, including removing any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics

How to issue a partial refund when the item is returned in a different condition

To issue a partial refund:

• Go to your Returns dashboard.
  • Select View return details beside the item.
  • Decide What to Refund.
  • Select the percent you want to deduct from the refund amount.
  • Add a message to the buyer explaining why the refund wasn't full.
  • Select Send.

In addition, make a police report, internet fraud report, USPS fraud report to send with your appeal.

Also note the weight and size of original package vs returned package, ie photos, label info

Reports for USPS here>

United States Postal Inspection Service

Mail Fraud Complaint>

https://ehome.uspis.gov/fcsexternal/default.aspx

In addition, file a police and internet fraud report

Also, you can

Contact eBay via social media with a private message:

https://Facebook.com/ebay

AND-OR

https://Twitter.com/askebay

very good customer service on these social media sites

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@jrkirk wrote:

Is there a way to dispute this and win? Is there a way to prevent this from happening again? I appreciate any help.

As others have said, your only strategy here is to accept a return for a full refund after you have received the set back. There is no need or requirement to let the buyer haggle a partial refund and keep the items, which might be what he's hoping for.

Given the preposterous claim that four one-piece items with no moving parts could somehow arrive "broken," I'm thinking that this might be standard practice for all their purchases, and maybe some sellers refund immediately. You do not have to (and I would say should not). Ask for Return before refunding, send a return label if required, but it would not surprise me if the buyer goes quiet and doesn't do anything further. (What does their Feedback Left for Others look like?)

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

did the buyer provide any photos to prove their claim? That means a photo of the box, the packing, and the items. Match it up to what you remember when packing. 

When you think you have packed something well, you then need to take it a step further:

extra packing!

fragile, glass, handle with care labels or at least written in red marker on box!

take photos as you pack items for your records!

ship 2-5 day priority to avoid package being bounced around for up to 9 day ground delivery!

If an item is too fragile to ship, make it pick up only!

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

"...'Item Arrived Broken', which of course is not possible. "

Of course its possible. I have had great luck with the USPS, but when they destroy something, they destroy it.

Once had a buyer get a package that had literally been run over by a fork truck...

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

No picture provided, and I will BBL and report buyer as well. Does reporting buyer actually do anything at all?

Have closed case, with no return.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I recently had a buyer file a claim wanting a refund claiming "item arrived damage- chipped on side".  I knew this was **bleep** as it's a steel part, you can take a hammer to it and it wouldn't "chip".  So I gladly accepted the return and paid for a return shipping label, seller didn't ship it back until 7 days later.  I received the part back and inspected it, zero damage looked the exact same as I sent it.  I immediately contacted Ebay thru chat messaging and told them the whole story, that I feel the seller is abusing the return process since I don't accept returns.  I explained that I'll gladly issue a refund MINUS all shipping costs and Ebay fee's.  The Ebay person said I should contact the buyer and come to a resolution, where I clearly asked what happens if they don't bother responding, she said "let's not get ahead of ourselves"..  So, I took a bunch of photos of the part all angles and emailed the buyer saying I'm not finding anything wrong with the part and if they could respond with more info.  Well, that night I received an email from Ebay saying the case was "Resolved in the buyers favor" and they issued a full refund using my funds. I immediately contacted Ebay and had them call me, I explained everything to the Ebay guy, he was able to go through all my emails and the earlier chat I had with Ebay.  He said he saw where Ebay earlier had told me to contact the buyer, and he said he it was wrong to close the case so soon.  It appears after I emailed the buyer asking what exactly the issue was the buyer must of contacted Ebay complaining I'm not issuing a refund.  Under Ebay own policy I have 2 days to inspect the item and issue a refund, Ebay instead closed it out in under 6 hours.  

So after speaking with the guy from Ebay over the phone he saw that I supplied plenty of photos of the item, he saw how I emailed the buyer asking what was wrong with the item, he even saw my original listing with tons of photos of the item.  He seemed to agree that the buyer was abusing the return process.  Within an hour I had everything reversed, I received the full funds from the original sale plus my money I paid for the return shipping label.  I was ok with just getting my shipping and fees back, but instead I got everything and even had the part back.  

What I learned with this is speak to someone directly over the phone, explain the entire situation, and have plenty of photos and documentation. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

If it was not for the potential financial loss to you this would almost be funny. I don't suppose they provided a picture of the broken piece? 😁  If they did please share I am curious what a "broken" piece of flatware looks like. 

And how much bending back and forth, back and forth did it take to break it or did they just hit it with a grinder? LOL

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Where can I find the info to speak directly to an eBay rep? 
it’s a maze of links that eventually lead no where. 
I’d appreciate it cuz it’s **bleep** what buyers pull with INAD. I felt I needed to take out a dictionary for the person I’m not dealing with. He didn’t understand the description!

So now it’s his interpretation vs my description. 
Venting-but any help to beat this dispute is appreciated.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply