cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overseas Buyer emailed saying item is used after claim period. I'd like to avoid negative feedback.

I had an item listed as new, fixed price, $49, with best offer, free shipping, to US addresses only, no refunds accepted, in early August, on a different eBay account. 

The item is a fitness watch kit that we had purchased in a store some years ago and never used.  I figured I'd list it and see if anyone wanted it. The item with all its parts and accessories was in the box, still wrapped in inner bubble wrap, baggies, twist ties, etc.  I took out the pieces to photograph them for eBay and put them back in the box.

A buyer messaged me about the item as soon as I listed it asking if I could take additional pictures, closeup and to show the watch face.  I took the photos and sent them to the buyer. 

The buyer replied and offered $40.       I accepted the offer.

Buyer paid and I shipped using PayPal USPS label, about $5. The item shipped on time.

The buyer's address was a shipping forwarder in Miami.  USPS tracking shows it was delivered on Monday, Aug 14.

I left normal thank you feedback for the buyer. 

On Sep 15, more than 30 days after delivery, the buyer sent an email saying that the item had just arrived in his country (not sure of the country) and that it was used, citing data from inside the watch, apparently, and had marks on it.  Buyer stated he is disappointed.

To my knowledge the watch wasn't used (we did not use it) and any marks on the watch would have shown up in the photos that the buyer requested and received before making an offer.

I'm an honest seller and wouldn't try to deceive a buyer, nor would I want a buyer to be disappointed with a purchase.

I believe the order is outside of the time frame for a claim through eBay.    I have not replied yet to the buyer's message. 

I thought I'd come here and ask first for advice from EXPERIENCED SELLERS WITH RELEVANT KNOWLEDGE.

I can't "prove" the watch wasn't used before I bought it.  I certainly didn't think it was used.  I don't think that the buyer can "prove" that the watch hasn't been used in the more than a month since it was delivered to his US address via USPS.

Though if the buyer were trying to scam me I'd think he'd have done it sooner and filed a claim.

Returning the item from whatever country he's in is probably not practical or economical.  

The buyer did not ask for a remedy.

The buyer has not yet left me feedback.  The buyer has on occasion left negative feedback for other sellers. 

Experienced Sellers with relevant knowledge, what would you do with regard to the buyer and what would you do if he left negative feedback (about a claim of a used item more than a month after US delivery)?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Overseas Buyer emailed saying item is used after claim period. I'd like to avoid negative feedba

There is a possibility the item was used so you may want to try to rresolve it between you and the buyer. With that being said

Nothing needs to be done until he opens a case.

Since it was reshipped he loses his MBG

If he wants to return it you need a case opened and the return label goes to the reshipper.

If you feel you made a mistake a partial refund may be in order. What makes him happy? 

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: Overseas Buyer emailed saying item is used after claim period. I'd like to avoid negative feedba

Ignore the message.

If it was sent through a reshipper, buyer has lost the money back guarantee on Ebay.

He may still be able to claim on Paypal but it would have to be returnd with tracking on his dime.

He is trying to get a partial or full refund from you without returning it.

Do nothing until an actual case is opened.

If you do not want to go through this again, block all non US Paypal payments so these types of buyers can't pay.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@siayan wrote:

There is a possibility the item was used so you may want to try to rresolve it between you and the buyer.

Direct from the OP...

The item is a fitness watch kit that we had purchased in a store some years ago and never used.

I think the OP would know whether or not they ever used it after acquiring it new.

That said, this is one of the rare times I am giving Occam and his razor the finger and will suggest that the buyer is playing the OP, and is trying to rules lawyer based on eBay's own definition of new, figuring that since everything was removed from the outer package for photo purposes (despite the inner packagings still being sealed), they are going to claim that this does not follow to the last letter eBay's own definition.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The buyer lost all protection when he had it reshipped. Ignore him
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The buyer waited til the 30-day reporting period had expired and then filed a claim on PayPal.  

Seems like an orchestrated plan to try to get money out of me.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

It's possible the item was inspected by customs and damaged that way.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@grilled wrote:

The buyer waited til the 30-day reporting period had expired and then filed a claim on PayPal.  

Seems like an orchestrated plan to try to get money out of me.

The buyer will have to return the item TO YOU, with tracking, from their pocket. That's how Paypal works - all returns are buyer paid shipping no matter the reason for return. Tell them to return it, give your return address, and wait.  You don't have to refund until you get your item back. If they're trying to get a partial refund, they won't return and the case will close out.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

@siayan wrote:

There is a possibility the item was used so you may want to try to rresolve it between you and the buyer.

Direct from the OP...

The item is a fitness watch kit that we had purchased in a store some years ago and never used.

I think the OP would know whether or not they ever used it after acquiring it new.

That said, this is one of the rare times I am giving Occam and his razor the finger and will suggest that the buyer is playing the OP, and is trying to rules lawyer based on eBay's own definition of new, figuring that since everything was removed from the outer package for photo purposes (despite the inner packagings still being sealed), they are going to claim that this does not follow to the last letter eBay's own definition.

I think that the condition fields are too narrow; something that is removed from the box for pictures becomes used.  That is not a fair description of the item.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply