cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Line Prices on Vintage Costume Jewelry

I have noticed some outrageous prices on vintage costume jewelry and some shipping costs are also way out of line.  Furthermore...some descriptions are so brief and lacking in the most basic descriptions...like size!  Wow...have you seen some photos...what really makes me laugh are bad photos, scant descriptions and high prices Smiley LOL

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Out of Line Prices on Vintage Costume Jewelry

Sorry, with all due respect, the less that is said within the description, the GREATER likelihood of SNAD cases, because you did not accurately describe the item.  Thus you have left yourself open to far MORE SNAD cases.  Buyer will say, truthfully, listing did not tell me this.  You have no info to refute that.

Well, to a logical person, "not as described" would require you to first describe something, and then have a buyer refute the discription as inaccurate.  If I say "You get what's in the pictures", and that's what you got, I don't see any basis for any dispute/refund.

Just as an example, I sold a lot of coins once, the buyer leaves f/b "Nice lot of silver coins".  They weren't silver, I didn't say they were silver, had they opened SNAD on that basis, I don't see how they can win that.  eBay has backed that position in some cases, so there is some merit to the theory the less you say the better - again, thanks to eBay. 

I think it's true that you're better off not saying anything, than saying something you're not sure about that turns out to be wrong... that's NOT the same thing, for example, as not mentioning damage and intentionally hiding it in the pictures.

You're describing "not as imagined".  Unfortunately, eBay has also backed that position in some cases too. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 46 of 49
latest reply

The New Standard ?

Very brief, sometimes incomplete item descriptions.

if a size is not provided , the size may disappoint.

Set a high dollar amount, you can always lower the price after several months. Why would the naive buyer

suspect some sellers would ask an outrageous price & still expect the

item to sell?

The less that is said within the description, the fewer SNAD CASES.

And any one who collects the good stuff will not buy from you !
Message 47 of 49
latest reply

"For some it is that one piece of jewelry they have been looking for for a long time. It might be to replace a sentimental piece they once had, but lost. So they are willing to pay extra for it."

And for others, it 's that Miriam Haskell, or Trifari, or Juliani they been waiting for...there are still a few of us tht collect really high end costume.

Message 48 of 49
latest reply

"My other issue is with scarcity. I haven't been selling regularly since 2008, and now that I'm retired, I want to get back into it. I've been looking at eBay, and I agree things are priced too high, but it's the scarcity and the listing issue I've already discussed above that's driving it. Vintage anything is a finite category, and the good jewelry is sitting in the hands of collectors, at least compared to the late 1990s. You can see it too with the brands that have become more valuable as time has gone on -- used to be names like Coro and Sara Coventry weren't all that collectible, but it's become more so because people can't afford Miriam Haskell or Boucher and more of the former is sold than the latter anymore. "

Gotta agree with you...I'm a collector, and I used to find Haskell at good prices, Eisenberg at the Flea for a hundred bucks, those days seem to be gone. But as with any collectible, some thing else will come along, hoefully of the same quality.

Add Tags...
Message 49 of 49
latest reply