cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Line Prices on Vintage Costume Jewelry

I have noticed some outrageous prices on vintage costume jewelry and some shipping costs are also way out of line.  Furthermore...some descriptions are so brief and lacking in the most basic descriptions...like size!  Wow...have you seen some photos...what really makes me laugh are bad photos, scant descriptions and high prices Smiley LOL

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Sellers can set their prices for whatever they want. Same goes for shipping. They will just sit there  and sit there. Bad picures, high prices and shipping, I'll buy from someone else. Those sellers will be on here wondering why they have no sales. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Sellers can set their prices for whatever they want. Same goes for shipping. They will just sit there  and sit there. Bad picures, high prices and shipping, I'll buy from someone else. Those sellers will be on here wondering why they have no sales. 

Message 2 of 49
latest reply

@thenandnowvintage wrote:

... are great advertising for sellers with reasonable prices.

Message 3 of 49
latest reply

I agree, over the past few years I've noticed a trend with descriptions becoming more and more vague. I can't tell you how many times I just see this written for the description..."see pictures for condition".

There was a time long ago if I accidently left something out my description, like a ring size, I would no doubt get questioned about it within 24 hours....but now days....I rarely get questions from potential customers.

As for prices, they're out of line everywhere...my cable bill is WAY out of line!...lol

Message 4 of 49
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its Getting hard to sell Vintage Jewelry,  So Many Listing for  .99 free shipping and not even Vintage. I am still doing ok, Just made enough to by a new scale( Hurricane Harvey took mine) I have been doing more shopping  then Selling . But Still Love Ebay!

Message 5 of 49
latest reply

The New Standard ?

Very brief, sometimes incomplete item descriptions.

if a size is not provided , the size may disappoint.

Set a high dollar amount, you can always lower the price after several months. Why would the naive buyer

suspect some sellers would ask an outrageous price & still expect the

item to sell?

The less that is said within the description, the fewer SNAD CASES.

Message 6 of 49
latest reply

The value of any item is what someone is freely willing to pay for it and what someone is freely willing to sell it for.  If the descriptions are not to your liking and you consider the asking price to be too high, pass on the item and look elsewhere.  If, however, the seller is able to sell his goods for the price he is asking,  perhaps you would need to reconsider your valuation practices.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 7 of 49
latest reply

Sounds like Chinese fishermen...
Message 8 of 49
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

I agree, over the past few years I've noticed a trend with descriptions becoming more and more vague. I can't tell you how many times I just see this written for the description..."see pictures for condition".

There was a time long ago if I accidently left something out my description, like a ring size, I would no doubt get questioned about it within 24 hours....but now days....I rarely get questions from potential customers.

As for prices, they're out of line everywhere...my cable bill is WAY out of line!...lol

Possibly so many have lacking descriptions, buyers just hit the back button, and sales suffer.

See pictures for condition is definitely a turn off.

Message 9 of 49
latest reply

The less said in the description, the fewer the SNAD cases.

With all due respect, omission of info is a cause for a SNAD.

If someone leaves out key info, that a buyer may not consider asking for, that is on the seller~~SNAD.

Buyer may need to know about that stain or hole that wasn't mentioned, or other damage, to make an informed buying decision, and since the expense of a return is on the seller, a good, thorough description helps a seller avoid that.

JMO

Message 10 of 49
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

If someone leaves out key info, that a buyer may not consider asking for, that is on the seller~~SNAD.

Buyer may need to know about that stain or hole that wasn't mentioned, or other damage, to make an informed buying decision, and since the expense of a return is on the seller, a good, thorough description helps a seller avoid that.

JMO

Absolutely, I've come across incomplete descriptons that I swear look like it was done on purpose, 1 blurry photo when all the others are sharp. Another trick I commonly see is the misspelling of important key words that my 3rd grader can easily spell...

I can't help thinking that ebay is really the root cause for descriptions becoming more and more vague over the years...

From a sellers standpoint, why should I put too much effort into a description when ebay is just going to side with the buyer on a SNAD regardless if I write one word or a novel?

Message 11 of 49
latest reply

Vague descriptions are usually because sellers have no clue about the product they are listing.

Message 12 of 49
latest reply

So true, and it's absolutely ridiculous.  You just have to shake your head at some of the listings.   After Joan Rivers died, one acquaintance asked me if all the jewelry I had bought from her on QVC would go up in price or value.   No, it hasn't.  One or two limited edition pieces, maybe.  But here on eBay you see wild, extreme price variations on listings of her mass-produced items.   A set of earrings with eight changeable colored "stones" (plastic) -- I've seen listings from 99 cents to more than $100 for the full set, when the original price would not have been more than $45 or so.

Message 13 of 49
latest reply

It  happens every time a celebrity passes.

Just recently, when David Cassidy died, everyone started listing to take advantage of it.

Message 14 of 49
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

JMO

I have to agree castle - don't provide information - you have nothing to fight a case with. I win my SNADs because I have details that can't be disputed.

I really think the lack of descriptions is because people have no idea what they are listing and they're too lazy to give even a brief description and measurements. I'm surprised these listings sell - but they do.

Message 15 of 49
latest reply