cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our changing economy

So I'd like to see who weighs in on this conversation.

In the past year, more like the last six months, things have doubled, gas is insane, and my rent is jacked up here in Florida. I have to be really careful to buy luxury items that I don't absolutely have to have.

Even though I have some complaints, my store was doing really well until this happened. Views aren't there, the watchers aren't really there and I'm only selling a handful of things a month, which basically covers my monthly store fee. I've lowered my prices accordingly, which truly means a loss.

Other than that life is good, lol..

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Our changing economy

You sell collectibles, a non-necessity.  So do I.  My sales are way down for reasons beyond my control or Ebay's control.

For most people, they are spending close to double if not more on necessities now, so they have less to spend on non-necessities.

Two years ago it took $30 to fill up our truck. Now it takes $75.  The exact same groceries that we bought for $50 six months ago now cost over $90.

I collect paper. I have lots and lots of vintage paper that I have always bought here through the years.  Other than my free store shipping supplies I haven't made a single Ebay purchase in close to a year if not longer. I just don't have it to spend anymore.

Just my two cents, adjusted to a farthing for inflation.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 44
latest reply

Yes, this issue began on May/13th , my sales dropping down severely, My items impressions too.
i did some researches on Terapeak tool for some keywords that relate to my items, and i noticed the sales trend going down since May/13th.

@fairydust_factory 

("Winter Is Coming")
Message 3 of 44
latest reply

Interestingly, this is one of the more down to earth posts/explanations I have seen about declining sales. The increase in gas, food, rent, etc severely cuts into “disposable income” for all but the very well off. And, I suspect, even those who have the cash are holding off non-essentials to preserve what they have because they don’t know how long this will last.

I am amazed at how many posters adamantly want to blame (only?) eBay and, in turn, expect eBay to “fix” it. Completely forgetting that eBay does not exist in a vacuum.

As for myself I have pretty much stopped most inventory buying for the past year. There are a few exceptions but you have to watch for them. One of my suppliers, in recognition of all the unshipped backorders due to the supply chain issue last year, had a limited promo earlier this year 20% discount AND free freight. Since freight can sometimes be a 20% add on to the item cost that amounted to a 40% discount.

That lets me offer a reduced (more appealing?) price without killing my profit margin.

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

Gas prices are crazy.

Spent $70 on gas today and didn't even fill up the tank

Have a great day
Message 5 of 44
latest reply

Gasoline here in California are $6.50 to $10.00 per gallon.   Prices on everything have gone crazy and even "fast food" restaurants are too expensive now (because there is a shortage of workers and fast food workers get a "minimum" of $18/per hour so they had to raise the prices on everything).

In the small town where I live rents are $2,800/month for a 1-bedroom apartment.  Honestly, I don't know how the average person can afford to live here anymore.

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

I have some very good real-world stats for you to compare to since I make & sell completely frivolous parts for cars (car show cars- Corvettes, Camaros etc.) and Nothing else. 

The comparison months are WELL PAST the Covid issues and free money and most buying these items never received a nickel from the 'Covid' free money. 

My sales as follows (by item count since dollars really don't matter and is dumb luck/hit/miss depending on what someone buys- just like any other seller (and what every seller needs to be looking at- piece count, not $)

2021                                    2022

Jan-117                               145

Feb-125                             187        

Mar- 160                           149

Apr-196                             146

May-165                           143

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

@caldreamer 

They can't afford California and they are all coming here.

I don't know how the young families are getting by, it's like sweet tea said about the grocery store prices. It's outrageous and I spend at least 3 bills if I'm lucky.

@fairydust_factory hun, you sound like you have a great attitude about things. Are you able to source for items locally for a reasonable cost? Can you participate in fleas around your area? Bet you have some great garage sales there. Just hang in there and be thankful for each day.

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

and 'here' (NV) is not much better; in fact, gas and rent has INCREASED at a much HIGHER rate than Cali.

Message 9 of 44
latest reply

@kensgiftshop 

It's a little tight right now between pay checks (full-time student, part time-retail worker), so I only $10 of gas yesterday. That bought me 2.01 gallons,. Even though I drive an economy car, I don't think 2.01 gallons is going to cut it for the week. If gas prices don't get better soon, I'm going to have to consider trading in the Hyundai for a Flintstones car.

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

I've been selling on here for 20 years, I understand how bad the economy is (insert blame here) - but my items aren't even getting views. I deleted everything two weeks ago and took a break, relisted last week and half my items have zero views after a week, the others have less than 10. That's highly unusual for clothing, at least from my experience. I know they fixed something with bot views recently but I feel like my items aren't even coming up in search results, anyone else with that same issue? 

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

Yes! I have a few items with no views that have been up for 2 weeks or more. Either something is wrong after they fixed the bot views or my items are not being seen in the search results. I ended a few listings and relisted as sell similar and it helped only a little. At least I know it's not just me! 😟

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

Yep, eBay wants you to now pay to play......"promoted listings"....Have you ever noticed when you search

items you may get say 80 results but if you look closely you will see that you can click for 680 more results?

(an example number) and the 80 they show you most likely are "promoted" items. And now that '' promoted"

fee is assessed to the whole sale not just the item now! FEE BAY.

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

I'm mostly an online sales shopper, cosmetics mostly. Honestly I didn't want to come off as having an attitude, I guess I'm just tired. The struggle is real, lol....

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

@fairydust_factory wrote:

I'm mostly an online sales shopper, cosmetics mostly. Honestly I didn't want to come off as having an attitude, I guess I'm just tired. The struggle is real, lol....

Oh, dear, I meant that in a good way, let me change that to " outlook". Your post was refreshing to read!

Message 15 of 44
latest reply