cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Organic Impressions - Why does it drop 90% when I remove Promotive Listings?

Organic Impressions - Why does it drop 90% when I remove Promotive Listings? We removed our PL on 93 listings. Traffic reports show a huge decrease in organic impressions. Why is this happening? We understand that organic impression rates are not dependant on PL but charts show huge drop after PL removal. Can someone explain?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Because eBay loves the money they get from promoted listings.  They will penalize you by making your listing harder to find if you don't promote it.  If buyers can't find your stuff, your organic impressions naturally will plummet. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I concur, you are definitely penalized for ending or dropping promotion. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

The function of  Promoted listings is to  draw buyers to that listing.......it stands to reason that some of those buyers click into your other listings.......some of which may be organic........... which would increase the # of organic views.  That's the function of advertising.......

IF promoted listings work.......organic views  should increase.......whether that translates in to more sales is the question........

To claim Ebay is penalizing sellers who don't run PL just isn't a logical conclusion, since it's up to the seller to chose (or not chose) to run PL.......your item WILL get shown more places/times with PL......without PL, it won't get shown as much........

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Imagine a grocery store that runs a promotion in lobster tails - $5 each!  I don’t normally hit that store, but I do love lobster. I go in, I see and maybe buy a bunch of things that aren’t on sale.  Once that sale ends, I’m not going back - don’t see their items, don’t spend a dime there.  Same idea with PL - it gets eyeballs on your promoted and non-promoted items.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

IF promoted listings work.......organic views  should increase.......whether that translates in to more sales is the question........

I'm not sure about that.  Some organic views will increase, but on the item that are promoted, the organic views will decrease and promoted views increase.

What one needs to look at is total views-vs-organic views.
An item with no promotion will only get organic views.  (so look at that number over 30 days).
Then promote that item and look at it's total views (for the 30 days following).
    If the view increase, then being promoted helps it to be seen.   
Then, all you need to know is why has this thing been listed 60 days and I still own it? LOL

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@oldedale 

My experience with PLS was great prior to early 2022 when they:

-Fully launched PLA
-Changed how Views were counted

-Magically doubled and tripled the PLS "Suggested ad rates"

Prior to 2022:  I ran one PLS campaign per quarter putting ALL my BIN listings on it for 30 days.  I averaged 2-3 sales per day.  Right after the PLS would end BIN sales would tank for 7-10 days before returning to normal.  This went on for a few years.  I picked ONE common ad rate between 5%-10%.  

2022 to present:  in 2022 PLS stopped performing and average sales drop to 1.5 or lower per day.  I did NOT use the inflated Suggested rates, just my own.  BIN sales started to tank for longer periods in between my quarterly 30 day PLS campaigns ... eventually almost until I ran my next quarterly campaign.

in late 2023 I ran a 17 day TEST PLS campaign where I jacked up my ad rate to at or above the inflated eBay rates.  This was done in between quarterly campaigns ... guess what, sales shot back up to 2-3 per day but as soon as the PLS ended BIN sales tanked.  The down side was my jacked up ad rate was 12% ... add about that for normal FVS and the total was around 24% ... NOT sustainable with my target profit margin.

So for 2 years I watched my account slowly and steadily decline and often 30-40% of my listings had (0) Views and items with 0,1, 2 Views in total were between 50%-60%.  Well, if half your stuff is virtually never seen what are the chances they would sell?  Rhetorical question of course.   I sensed (and in my mind proved) that listings were being manipulated, hidden. buried, etc. in hopes I would use higher ad rates.

So in 4th quarter when I did not run my regular 30 day PLS I got two messages (below): "We've missed you - try Promoted Listings Standard again.".

PLS AD 1.png

Since I did not run my 1st quarter PLS campaign around the time I normally would I got that message again once plus this one ... twice:

PLS AD 2.png

Now that I am past my normal PLS window a got the following message a few days ago ... for Offsite ad fees ...

PLS AD 3 OFFSITE ADS.png

So yes, I know what has been done, I know why it has been done but I am no longer interested in doing what they want me to do with PLS or paying extra fees in general for something they should already be doing from the fees I pay.

I hope in time organic or natural sales and more importantly growth, recovers.  I have pushed more inventory elsewhere in the last 2 years then during any other selling time here.  I love to Sell on eBay but the operative word is "selling".  

Sorry this was so lengthy but my experience wasn't a normal blip or dip in sales, it happened over a long period of time where I observed trends, tested processes, etc. 

Everyone's experience and results can and will be different. Some are still experiencing great success with PLS and I say good for them.  All I can say is keep a very close eye on how PLS performs for you and what trends you notice before, during and after a campaign.  

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Very good comments. Our cost increased from 25% 2021 to the current 41%. This does not include cost of goods to list, packing/boxes/tape...An estate sale charges 35-40%, and there is no associated shipping costs (packing/boxes). It is no longer profitable for us to use eBay. (unless we find a real nice item cheaply)

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@oldedale 

Just trying to understand what you are seeing. You say "charts" show a huge drop after PL removal.

WHICH chart is that?

The Promoted Listing graph known as the "advertising dashboard" shows ONLY items in your PLS campaign, some of which are shown as promoted, and some of which are shown as organic during the life of the campaign. Once the PLS campaign ends, the organic line should basically flatline, because you no longer have any items in the campaign.

So, if that's what you are looking at, it makes perfect sense that organic goes to nothing on that graph.

So, perhaps you could add some screen shots, or be a bit more specific as to just what you are looking at?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

seller hub/ performance  traffic  scroll down to bar charts which show all traffic PL  organic  external.

Organic with PL is 5000, Organic drops to 500 or less if no PL.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@oldedale wrote:

Very good comments. Our cost increased from 25% 2021 to the current 41%. This does not include cost of goods to list, packing/boxes/tape...An estate sale charges 35-40%, and there is no associated shipping costs (packing/boxes). It is no longer profitable for us to use eBay. (unless we find a real nice item cheaply)

@oldedale 

Sorry I missed this reply, you can @ mention members to let them know you replied specifically to them.

You are spot on with your assessment of cost of goods verses price points on this or any venue.  

I acquire most of my inventory from auctions where the Buyer's premium can vary from 13% up to 28%.  Then on the Selling side the price has to absorb eBay fees.

When I buy I calculate a "multiplier" I use based on the Buyer's premium of the auction and what I think I can resell something for.  It tells me what my max bid can be and if the item(s) bid higher than that I'm done and wait for the next item.  That part is painless, the hard part as you already figured out is getting items at a price you can resell for.  Anyone who says sales are off because of the economy might change their mind if they try buying inventory at a good price to resell for a profit.  

Regards,
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@oldedale  Thanks. The PLS campaign you ended...was it on all your listings, or just some?

In any event, I suspect @dhbookds is correct---promoted listings likely end up directing more buyers to your organic listings (especially if they go directly to your store). If that's the explanation, then the difference between 500 and 5000 and is actually a pretty good reason to use PLS. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Ended PL on all listings. Organic impressions dropped to almost zero. More than 90% drop.

Sellers really HAVE to use suggested PL rates(10-15%) to get any traffic. Sadly, eBay once gave us PL traffic levels for free. And items were shown via goggle searches. Cost to do business has increased to 41 percent, up from 20 percent in 2018. Basically a doubling of cost in 6 yrs. 18 year TRS. zero defect rates.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@oldedale 

I have found that sellers are a very diverse group. Some sellers meet their goals without PL. Some are convinced they absolutely need to use PL. Some are trying to make a million bucks this year. Some are cleaning out their closets. My point is: one size doesn't fit all, one strategy doesn't fit all.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@oldedale wrote:

Ended PL on all listings. Organic impressions dropped to almost zero. More than 90% drop.

Sellers really HAVE to use suggested PL rates(10-15%) to get any traffic. Sadly, eBay once gave us PL traffic levels for free. And items were shown via goggle searches. Cost to do business has increased to 41 percent, up from 20 percent in 2018. Basically a doubling of cost in 6 yrs. 18 year TRS. zero defect rates.

@oldedale  BINGO!  You figured it out ... Tested and proven on my account over a 2 year period.  Yep, the venue is looking to gain between 20% and 35% PER sale (Total of FVFs plus PLS ad fees) by manipulating listings once PLS ends ... with 1.7 BILLION listings they can hide millions of listings without affecting their bottom-line.  I am in month 8 of NOT running any PLS campaigns and am STILL waiting for BIN sales to return to anywhere close to pre-2022 levels.  The disparity between Auction and BIN sales is staggering ... here are some of my March numbers about a week before the month ended.  

Screenshot (667).png

I have since STOPPED Sending offers via the Send offers eligible link on the Active list.  April numbers for total sales are worse ... this is my 9th April selling and at present it is in the 3rd from last out of 9 ... in order to move UP the April list sales will have to MORE than double in the reaming 8 days of the month ...  

Regards,
Message 15 of 16
latest reply