cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orders $10 and Less

I'm with ebay basically since it's opened its doors. Over 22+ years and I must say that the fees are really starting to get crazy on these small sales. For example, on a $5 sale lets say shipping is $4.50, add the buyers tax(which is so sleazy) and then they take at 12.5%. Now add a 30 cent transaction fee and the real PERCENTAGE THEY HAVE BEEN TAKING OUT ARE 31%...That's just sick to me! When is enough, enough? How much greed must there be by these executives only worrying about their own pockets and shareholders? How about the backbone of ebay? That is us small sellers! We must unite, because this is getting crazy and no wonder why people are leaving and selling all over niche sites and social media. I am extremely loyal to ebay and only buy and sell here, but I understand why people are jumping ship.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Orders $10 and Less

Would like to hear more about the math where you have determined that eBay's fee on that sale would be 31%.

Also, I don't sell any more, but have heard from many experienced sellers that they would not consider listing any item with a price of less than $20.  

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Orders $10 and Less

@soh.maryl 

I too don't get the math that would bring ebay fees to 31%

As far as charging sales tax and calling it 'sleazy', eBay is not going to break the law by NOT charging sales!

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Orders $10 and Less

math wizard please don't tell me how to be. I was making people aware 12.5% on a $5 order is not 12.5% it turns out to be 31%...People have a right to know. These is a big reason why both sellers and buyers are leaving in droves. I only buy and sell here, but i understand why they are leaving. When greed comes to a certain point people will leave. Since ebay is my home and this is where i buy and sell I want them to remain strong. I don't want them to be cable tv where hundreds of millions have left to stream and yes i have cable tv, but understand why people have left.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Orders $10 and Less

I think he is talking about the total fees being about 30% of the $5 item price.  In that regard, he is correct.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Orders $10 and Less

OP is talking about $1.56 fees on a $5 item and is not including the Shipping or  Tax to come up with the 31%.

OP- that's just the way it is. Ebay has been charging on the Shipping for over 10 years (with Paypal) and the tax is newly added, required by the states per the USSC decision and is really a tiny percentage of a charge (13% of 8% of 100 is $1.24, not a big amount- or in your case, about .08c more in fees.

Processors have ALWAYS charged a percentage on the total sale, at the register in a department store.

This is nothing new. 

True; it's the shipping charge that makes that percentage jump, but it is very easy to figure what a person will get after fees shipping etc. to decide if it is worth selling a $5 item on line. If you sell 100 a day, it is still worth it for many people. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Orders $10 and Less

For example, on a $5 sale lets say shipping is $4.50, add the buyers tax and then they take at 12.5%. Now add a 30 cent transaction fee and the real PERCENTAGE THEY HAVE BEEN TAKING OUT ARE 31%...The higher the sale is the less fees are taken and it becomes more true to the 12.5%. However, on the cheap sales $10, $15, $20 and under they take out a lot more than 12.5% of the sale price. I really wish they would do something about this particular issue.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Orders $10 and Less

exactly you got it! I try to list in lot's with these cheaper items, but some people just want what they want. No one is getting rich or poor on a $5-$15 item, but it would be nice if so much wasn't taken out. Ebay is my home for buying and selling and I would like it to lower fees and bring back millions of millions of people they've lost. 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Orders $10 and Less

Thanks for your explanation of the way the OP is thinking to come up with that 31%.

I guess the fact that eBay's fee is taken on the TOTAL paid by the buyer, including the item price, the shipping and the sales tax doesn't enter into his calculations.  

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Orders $10 and Less

The seller doesn't pay the sales tax the buyer does.  The only thing eBay chargers is  the the 12.5%  on the sales tax collected -  PayPal did the same thing including that 30 cent transaction fee.

As a seller you pick the products you wish to sell if they equal low profit margins - then change your product mix.  For example Ford & GM and other are  focusing their  attention on higher profit models - pick up, SUVs, etc and dropping their low  margin smaller sedans.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Orders $10 and Less

Awesome!

Surprised you've decided to keep selling here considering you are being charged a whooping 31% !!

That's terrible!

I wouldn't be able to leave fast enough if that was what I was being charged !

Hope things work out for you 😑

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Orders $10 and Less

I do not charge EXACT shipping fees to my buyers.  My shipping costs are adjusted for eBay's 10% charge on the shipping fee.  So, if my shipping cost was $5.00, my charge to the customer would be $5.75 b/c eBay is going to charge me 10% on the $5.75 which is $0.58 already making my actual shipping charged to me $5.58....the rest is for packaging/supplies.

...gotta think ahead a wee bit.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Orders $10 and Less

@soh.maryl wrote:

Would like to hear more about the math where you have determined that eBay's fee on that sale would be 31%.

Also, I don't sell any more, but have heard from many experienced sellers that they would not consider listing any item with a price of less than $20.  

My cut off point is at around $10.   GTC listing that all I have to do is add to the quantity from time to time. No continued creating a listing time/effort used. Have some of those going approaching the 100 sold mark. Sales below that are sot of unrealistic.

At that point I do not make a lot, but they are good "fillers" to keep my sales totals up, and on those low selling price items my sourcing cost is very low.  I still clear $4+ on them after eBay fees/shipping/materials. I value my time at "nothing".  If I wasn't doing it.............    I would probably be doing nothing, so from that view point it is actually beneficial to me from the active mind/active body viewpoint.

$5 items, unless on an account with un-tracked shipments where the tracking metrics don't come into play would be a fools errand, as that would be done as a "loss".  I can take selling some items for low profit, but I have a table out by the road where I give things away.  Not even a special trip, as they can go out when I walk to the mailbox.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Orders $10 and Less

I see what you mean, but isn't 12.55% the fee eBay charges.  Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I thought.

So if you charge $5.75 minus the 12.55% ($0.72) then you would have $5.03 to use on shipping cost.

International it is about 14.20%

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Orders $10 and Less

MP 12.55%

Pre-MP  10%

Message 15 of 18
latest reply