cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ole' eBay chargeback rears it's ugly head UPDATE

So after dozens of calls to ebay and messaging thier FB page, I think I am at the end of the process.

I had $1500 CB for the item a buyer opened a return then never printed the label and the return timed out. 3 months later he opens CB.

I was told since the beginning that I could appeal for seller protection once the CB was decided, but the last 2 CSR's now tell me there was no such process, even though like 10 told me it was in the appeal process. I had 2 CB's decided againt me in the past and eventually was made whole by ebay. One was for closer to 2K.

The feeling I get from talking to some is that the company is in such dissaray they no longer will make even long time sellers whole for much of anything. Sorta like the wild west now, you figure it out. I was given back my FVF's and the $20.

In some ways it is the cost of doing business. I think what frustrates me is the games and lying that goes on. Just tell me from the beginning the appeal is a waste, or it doesn't exist, and not waste my time. Also, the insistence that this has nothing to do with ebay when they are the processor of payments. 

I don't have an issue with 99.9% of transactions but it is irritating when you are told thier is protection then waste a lot of time to be told a different story and treated lousy by especially last 2 CSR's.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

You should file a police report. this kind of theft should not go unanswered.  Even if ebay who is the merchant of record is unwilling to stand by their own brand in these cases, you should not be subjected to criminal activity without recourse

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Check buyer feedback and how new buyer ID is on eBay. Has buyer made other purchases? Always check who the buyer is. Signature(written) required for accepting item.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

@siamjane8 It's funny you bring that up. I actually stopped by my local PD, explained to them. They said it was more of a formality but I could file.

But, they explained to me the report would have to be filed against ebay. Ebay will not give me the buyers info and they are the ones who paid me and brokered the transaction, so I really only have recourse against them. I really have no action against the buyer. In the eyes of the law Ebay took the money from me, not the buyer.

That just seems like another waste of time.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Well that is odd- ebay says that they have nothing to do with the sale and that all they do is connect buyers and sellers. But when you asked the agent for the name of the buyer they say its private? How can it be your responsibility if they wont give you the information you need to challenge the theft?

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps he has been on ebay since 2009. He currently has items for sale. 

His claim was not item was not recieved, he was upset that there was a scratch on the back.

After 3 weeks he opened a return, I provided a label, he never printed nor returned the item.

That is why I was being told you did everything right, we just have to wait for the case to close so we can appeal for buyer protection.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@siamjane8 Ya, its very odd. There is no transparency with this stuff. Essentially, they could totally just make up a CB at any time and take your money.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@esg-enterprises wrote:

...I really have no action against the buyer. In the eyes of the law Ebay took the money from me, not the buyer...

Just scanning through some threads this morning....

This statement caught my eye.....

I have been told otherwise by counsel.....think about it....

the "crime" (theft or intent to defraud) was still committed...regardless of who facilitated the financial transaction (ebay, your merchant account, your neighbor)

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

That's a surprise buyer has items for sale.

Isn't this buyer worried about doing a CB and the seller does the same to the buyer?

I did win a charge back with a bank in December. It's not unusual. It is writing an honest letter and sending documentation which the bank reads.

You are dealing with a bank with the charge back...eBay has to allow chargebacks. I wouldn't blame eBay.

It is possible the buyer might lose since they didn't use the return label or eBay might refund you on their end as a seller who did everything right.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps That was something I brought up, why can he still sell while supposeldy facilitating this fraud? I was told ebay would need to see a pattern.

No, this CB happened in December, in January it was decided against me. The original purchase took place in August. I have been trying to get money back since to no avail.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@monica-sells  I think the problem is that as sellers we have no idea or information about the Chargeback. Ebay provides no actual documentation or proof that it even happened. When you ask to appeal it, we can only do so through ebay and not directly.  Ebay tells us all information is protected....protected from whom- if it is only between us and the buyer?   I we could still use our own processor or paypal- we would have a method to fight these chargebacks and better protections but we are forced to used ebay's managed payments that collect hundreds of millions in fees and charges but when we need protection- ebay looks the other way....... they want all the benefits and financial gain of managing the money but none of the responsibility.  All they do is write it in the TOS and they get their cake and eat it too!

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

There is a thing called Karma.

My Sister in Law, that we never let my kids around,  was one of the best scammers around.     She would get a coffee table from a on line retailer,    make a little mark with a washable marker and than claim a dent.    She would get the coffee table free.

She had static IP addresses and multiple addresses.     She used mine once and I told  her if she did it again,  I would call the cops.      I returned her package.

All that sitting around,      she gained weight.

So she died from a heart attack,    eating a Twinkie all while trying to get a free dress.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

I went on the internet doing a lot of research and in my letter I stated a buyer has 120 days to do a CB...period. I did a rant about that in my documentation. I did a lot of research. Those who do a CB over 120 days...it comes down to the bank that tries to allow a CB after 120 days. I did not find anything on the internet where a bank can do a CB after 120 days and I sure did point that out to the bank. I realized I was dealing with the bank and not eBay...thus that is how I wrote my documentation.

Unfortunately, eBay has to allow a bank to do these CBs. Again, I wouldn't blame eBay. I kinda think your case is closed with the bank...and eBay sometimes does a refund to the seller...but $1500. is a large sum which I don't know.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Should be able to file a police report with all the details on the order. It includes name, address, possibly phone number etc.

You have me lost on this one. Also, I'd file with every fraud agency possible.

This is also one of the situations I'm not very clear on because I haven't had it happened to me yet.

What I have had is MANY MANY time out return requests. However, time outs on returns can actually be harmful to sellers because then buyers are told even by eBay CSR that they have to contact there financial institution as the eBay return as been closed.

Now... the only option for the buyer is an option that permits not returning the item and getting a full refund? I'd much rather eBay allow the return to be reopened so I can at least get my item back.

eBay doesn't have clear seller protections for this situation from my view, and the return timeout is actually harmful.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

I'm not sure why anyone in eBay CS is telling you that there is no process for chargebacks to be covered in this scenario, it is spelled out pretty plainly here: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293

When the buyer failed to return the item this creates a case with eBay's system at the cutoff date which is automatically decided in your favor. This fulfils the eligibility scenario in the seller protection policy for chargebacks. 

I've had several chargebacks over the years, several of which of around the same monetary value as yours. I've only had one automatically covered by eBay's protection policy, the rest weren't needed as they were rejected by the buyer's payment institution before eBay needed to step in.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply