cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ohh boy.. It's just so hard when they don't comprehend ....

I mainly sell 45 rpm vinyl records. 

Buyer is interested in a listing that has a $2.50 asking or b/o. 
My s&h is $4.95 

Over a week ago I get a message from prospective buyer:

Message #1:  
I will buy the record if you take off the .95 for shipping then i will buy the record my friend let me know steve

Message #2:
because my this is what I do for my business sent off a Abba alum back to tower records and from the Florida post office to shepherd Tennessee it only cost me $2.80 do send it to Tennessee and that was a alum not one 45 alum weight more then what a 45 dose and it don't cost $5.00 to ship one 45, record so i know better iam not wearing rose color glasses my $4.00 for i w I'll it Friday so my friend let me know my friend Steve

MY RESPONSE:
You got a bargain if you only paid $2.80 for shipping an album, because with proper padding and protection it almost always weighs over a pound.

Shipping cost via media mail to anywhere in the U.S. for a package 1 pound and under is a standard cost of $3.65.

My charge of $4.95 is for shipping & handling. There are added costs: packaging, printing, time, ebay & paypal fees etc. You also receive a new white 45 sleeve & poly protector sleeve with purchase.

I try to offer a fair price for the vinyl I sell, and not jack the price on that. It's just the way I operate, and most of my buyers are very satisfied.

I can negotiate the price of the record, I'd be willing to knock .75 cents (30%) of the sale price. Making it $1.75 plus the $4.95 s&h.

If interested, send me an offer for $1.75 and it's yours.

..... ..... ... .. days go by, and today I receive this message:

i will pay you $2.50 for the record and i will give you $3.99 for shipping or no deal i already have the record and CD of that song i was going to buy just for a back up so let me know because I am not going to pay $5.00 for shipping for one ,45 record when it don't cost yo no $5.00 to ship it make your choice my friend Steve

Steve is no friend of mine.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Ohh boy.. It's just so hard when they don't comprehend ....

Message 1.   i will buy the record my friend

Message 2.  i was going to buy just for a back up

After a wee porky pie lie I recommend adding to your BBL.  

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Shipping costs are not negotiable, it even says that in writing when the buyer uses best offer.  Block.  Personally, I would remove best offer since your prices are already low.   

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

.95 cents!

After the first message, I would have just blocked them. Nothing good will come of this transaction if it goes through. 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

Message 1.   i will buy the record my friend

Message 2.  i was going to buy just for a back up

After a wee porky pie lie I recommend adding to your BBL.  

I think that first message should have read, "I will buy the record, my friend." 

This is why punctuation is so important. 

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

"Dear buyer,

I'm sorry, but shipping is not negotiable.

Thanks,

Seller"

and block.

I'll negotiate on item price - that's why I have best offer on everything - but NEVER, ever on the shipping cost.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@james8728   I have a one word response for you> BLOCK

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Life is too short to be aggravated by these types of buyers.  The best thing that you can do is COMPLETELY ignore that email.  Do not respond.  I can just imagine that lowlife constantly checking his emails to see if you accepted his offer.  Anytime, someone tells me to lower the shipping, I add them to my BBL.   Don't get mad.  Don't bother explaining that your shipping is reasonable or that you have expenses and have to pay fees. It's a waste of time talking to these people.  

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

This is a $7.45 total cost. I certainly agree with your packaging of LP's to protect them. Buyer wants .95 deduction, that's about 13% discount on a low value item, where your profit margin is very minimal, without adding the eBay fees. I wouldn't waste my time on this discussion for the few quarters you will be making, no worth it. 

BBL

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I sell a few records here and there and just a suggestion. You ARE overpriced on shipping. The standard rate in that category for a record is $4.00 even. I'm not sure how long you've been around, but actually a few years back Ebay WOULD NOT allow sellers to charge more than $4.00.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

Personally, I would remove best offer since your prices are already low.   

I just ended "Best Offer" because I'm currently running a Sale along w/ a Coupon.

It's hard not having B/O because there are just so many lowball sellers out there. 

Thanks!

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Sorry but 4.95 is cheap. Sellers have to pay fees on the shipping charge too.  Printer ink is not free. Neither is paper, tape, etc.etc.  My lowest shipping on my seller accounts is 4.99.   The buyer likes it fine, if they do not like fine too.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@titipeo wrote:

I certainly agree with your packaging of LP's to protect them. 

I want to know in what universe can you ship an album that alone weighs 8 oz or more for $2.80 from FL to TN.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

I sell a few records here and there and just a suggestion. You ARE overpriced on shipping. The standard rate in that category for a record is $4.00 even. I'm not sure how long you've been around, but actually a few years back Ebay WOULD NOT allow sellers to charge more than $4.00.

Well I've been around and remember when you couldn't charge more than $3.95 when using Media Mail... cost back then was a lot cheaper!!!!! 
Those charging $4 or less on shipping on a $3.65 cost are insane. 

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@james8728 wrote:

@titipeo wrote:

I certainly agree with your packaging of LP's to protect them. 

I want to know in what universe can you ship an album that alone weighs 8 oz or more for $2.80 from FL to TN.

Circa 2014--get in the time machine!  ^^

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 21
latest reply