cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Appeal, given redeemable gift card code?

I had a buyer make a false return not as described a few weeks ago...

I appealed the $7 of shipping to which they accpeted..usually this should always be applied to the next invoice..

Instead, they sent me a $7 gift card redemption code to BUY STUFF! What the heck is that all about?

They can't even refund my money but instead give me a redemtion code for $7? Not sure what I need for $7, but would of much rather been refunded my $7 for the false snad..

Very odd...anyone get this before?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Odd Appeal, given redeemable gift card code?

It’s not odd if you think about it. It’s an attempt to save themselves money while making money (does that even make sense? Lol). 

Now that they are forcing sellers to accept false SNADs & reimbursing the return shipping cost if the seller appeals, instead of reimbursing you with a credit on your invoice, they are giving you an eBay giftcard to spend here. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

It’s not odd if you think about it. It’s an attempt to save themselves money while making money (does that even make sense? Lol). 

Now that they are forcing sellers to accept false SNADs & reimbursing the return shipping cost if the seller appeals, instead of reimbursing you with a credit on your invoice, they are giving you an eBay giftcard to spend here. 

Not to mention, it's a very "Amazon-esque" way to go about things, and we all know how much eBay aspires to be something that it's not.   Though Amazon does allow you to choose whether you want a refund applied back to your credit card for example, they also offer you the option of having the refund applied to an Amazon Gift Card. Many people do just that because they figure it will be a nice credit to tap into the next time they shop.   So, not surprised eBay has jumped on a similar bandwagon, too. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do you have to buy something that costs $7? Use it alongside your shipping supplies coupon.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there an expiration date on it?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Yes there is. Mid next month.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, two weeks? You'd think it would be valid for at least a month, if not a quarter.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

They're basically giving you a store credit when they insist sellers can only offer money back.

A tad hypocritical.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

You admittedly fight every one of these to the death to recoup your nickels and dimes.  I'm guessing you have about worn out your welcome with Ebay in fighting them, and Ebay credit is now your reward for all the "winning" you do.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:
They're basically giving you a store credit when they insist sellers can only offer money back.

A tad hypocritical.

And what is so different about that vs normal with Ebay?  If we treated our customers the way they treat Sellers our accounts would be permanently suspended.  Ebay has always been do as we say not as we do, so why expect anything different now.  But basically Ebay is really not refunding the money now as much as trying to once again show growth, because that $7 sale will be added to the GMV for the quarter and rather than have an expense on the books they manage to turn it into revenue...lol    Only at Ebay.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:

A tad hypocritical.

And what is so different about that vs normal with Ebay?  If we treated our customers the way they treat Sellers our accounts would be permanently suspended.  Ebay has always been do as we say not as we do, so why expect anything different now.  But basically Ebay is really not refunding the money now as much as trying to once again show growth, because that $7 sale will be added to the GMV for the quarter and rather than have an expense on the books they manage to turn it into revenue...lol    Only at Ebay.

Well, not only that, but I'm sure they have "data" - if not their own then from the retail/ecommerce sectors -- that indicates only "X"% of gift cards are ever redeemed.   Put a ridiculous two-week expiration date on the card, and the recipient won't even have a chance to use it before it expires, so eBay won't be out a cent if  the card is never used/redeemed.

Very similar to how the eBay Bucks coupons work.  I don't know how many times over the years I've lost the opportunity to spend mine because I didn't remember to before the coupon expired.   But, at least those are good for 30 days...

Message 11 of 11
latest reply