cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will you refund a buyer because of that?

So im selling this figure:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223083669810?ul_noapp=true

and just got this message from a buyer.

how to handle it? as you can see in the listing i didnt say anything about the language in character card, to be honest i didnt knew what language are on it.

If it matters im in Greece, he is from Australia

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

"Will you refund a buyer because of that?"

Why, yes. Yes, I would.

And if and when I relisted it, I'd mention that the character cards are not in English. You are, after all, listing it on English-speaking sites. Even people in non-English speaking countries might well expect the character cards to be in English, rather than whatever language is barely visible through the product container on your listing.

So, I'd accept the return and issue a full refund, including shipping both ways, when you get the item back.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Well, i will now that i noticed it

But on the other hand he cant claim he bought something "not as described". I dont feel like he can win this if he open a case

I sold him the correct figure that its on the picture, sealed and brend new as described. Its my wrong that i didnt noticed there is no english but i didnt said that is in english language either

If the language in the card was so important for him he should contact me to make it clear?

For now i offered to refund 8.5 and keep the item, he paid total 20.5

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Not familiar with this product but have you opened any of them to check? Maybe on the reverse of the cards the info may be in English. Just a thought because I recently purchased a game for a toddler and the blub had English on one side and Spanish on the other.

Not sure if your buyer has opened the package but they may not want to if they are a collector

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

@kostas294, personally I think you're being generous/reasonable offering the buyer a refund equal to nearly 50% of what he paid.

Had the buyer looked at your photos closely, you can see inside the sealed packaging the figurine comes in and the lettering/verbiage is clearly in another language.  I suppose that doesn't guarantee the actual character card enclosed also wasn't in English, but my assumption would have been given the fact the "inserts" inside the package are in another language, most likely everything else inside the package, including the character card, was too.

There was no way for you to determine what language any of the inserts were in without slitting open the package and opening it.  In my estimation, buyers, especially collectors,  generally like to buy/receive a brand-new item, still sealed in package.  Had you opened it, its "value" definitely would have been less.

I suppose the only way to prevent a similar situation in the future is to note in the description that the item is new, still in sealed packaging and because of that you have no way of verifying whether the inserts/character card/sticker etc are printed in English.  However, the item is an authentic, official figure by Hasbro, mostly likely produced for the European market, and will come to them new and sealed.     

Then, it's up to the prospective buyer to make his/her own decision about they want to do.

As far as whether your problem buyer will win a SNAD case, if he goes that route?  Sadly, I wouldn't count on eBay backing you up.  It's become almost impossible to get any sort of case decided in your favor and you didn't completely describe the item.  Consequently. I hope your buyer will accept your offer of a partial refund.  At least all won't be lost.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Absolutely, yes, he can~he would win.  An important detail, namely that the cards were in another language, was not disclosed in the listing, so it was not as described.  While a poster notes you can see that in the pictures, then you could see it as well and stated foreign language insert.

Not saying it was in English means nothing.

Buyers don't like surprises post sale.  Put all the info, accurate info, you can into listings to prevent things like this happening.  Collectors can be very particular about their purchases.  

You can accept the return, pay for return shipping, and refund upon delivery.  Buyer may decide to not return.  Your call.  Sorry this happened to you.  Good Luck.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

The mantra I've come to repeat even in my sleep ...

I'm sorry you are unhappy with your puchase.

Please return for a full refund.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

But on the other hand he cant claim he bought something "not as described".

• There's a phrase referred to as "errors and omissions." It means leaving out pertinent information is just as egregious as including false or incorrect information.

I dont feel like he can win this if he open a case

• Wanna bet?

If the language in the card was so important for him he should contact me to make it clear?

• So, every time I buy a book or a magazine or anything that has an instruction manual or anything that has any writing involved, on a US/UKAU/CA, et al, eBay website, I should contact the buyer to confirm it's in a language I understand? 

• If the buyer files a SNAD, s/he's gonna get a full refund, including shipping both ways. You'll be lucky if your offer is accepted. 

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

But on the other hand he cant claim he bought something "not as described".

• There's a phrase referred to as "errors and omissions." It means leaving out pertinent information is just as egregious as including false or incorrect information.

I dont feel like he can win this if he open a case

• Wanna bet?

• So, every time I buy a book or a magazine or anything that has an instruction manual or anything that has any writing involved, on a US/UKAU/CA, et al, eBay website, I should contact the buyer SELLER to confirm it's in a language I understand? 

• If the buyer files a SNAD, s/he's gonna get a full refund, including shipping both ways. You'll be lucky if your offer is accepted. 

Good post.  There is a pivot commonly seen, when something is not listed in the listing, buyer should have asked questions.  Buyers shouldn't have to ask questions, and most are tired of that and will just bypass the listing that does not have complete and accurate info.  Sellers should do all they can to create a very complete listing, knowing it protects THEM from SNAD situations.  

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@kostas294 wrote:

Well, i will now that i noticed it

But on the other hand he cant claim he bought something "not as described". I dont feel like he can win this if he open a case

I sold him the correct figure that its on the picture, sealed and brend new as described. Its my wrong that i didnt noticed there is no english but i didnt said that is in english language either

If you didn't describe the language of cards, it's SNAD

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

I would just pay and get it back.  It looks like there are several different laguages on that card to cover the big 3 at least.  He/she is trying to extort you to try to get it for free.  I would also open one you have and determine if there is in fact english somewhere on that card.  It is very odd that the card is not multi lingual . 

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

You will absolutely lose the case if the buyer opens it. Now I met similar case, I sent a full bottle but the buyer claimed it is half-empty after she got it for almost one month. 

I have photos when packing and the weight on the shipping receipt. I believed eBay will be on my side so I escalted the case to eBay but they judged I need to accept return with return shipping fee becase ‘buyer’s feeling is the most important thing’. If they are unhappy, the  I need to refund.

I am still communicating with eBay customer service right now.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

I think you're being generous/reasonable offering the buyer a refund equal to nearly 50% of what he paid. 

WOW

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

I looked at the item it is one with playing card deck looked fine to me ?  

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

"I regret that you are not satisfied with your purchase. Please return it for a full refund."

If the buyer opens a Not As Described dispute, you will have to send return postage and refund anyway.

You can refuse returns but you cannot refuse refunds.

So get it back and relist.

(And yes add the information about the cards being in Greek(?) since someone complained.)

Then Block her as too high maintenance.

It's painful doing  this for overseas sales. As a Canadian seller who sells 85% of my items to the USA, I feel that pain.

I agree that she is an idiot for thinking that something coming from a non-English speaking country would have English language paperwork.  I wonder if she took the Greek alphabet as some kind of arcane mystical symbols?

But this is business not personal.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply