cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more free newspapers :(

SO when I moved here I had an entire trunk full of newspapers. Finally ran out.

Went to stores to ask them to save me some.

Turns out the local newspaper here, for whatever reason, picks up all the newspapers instead of the stores tossing them or recycling them.

Asked newspaper company, they won't give me old ones, unless I wanted to "buy them by the ton"

But they will "happily sell me end rolls at $3 per roll".

The end rolls are huge and bulky, and have to cut them into sheets.

I know it's stupid to complain, but I try to keep costs down by using as much free stuff as possible, like the USPS boxes and such.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: No more free newspapers :(

@bargainsandbaubles

We have a weekly entertainment paper, ( free )

The day before the next edition comes out, I can take all I want.

Same thing with local shopper type papers.

Also check with recyclers who do paper.

( many businesses shred paper, ant take it to be recycled.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I can't even remember a time they threw away the local paper.... albeit I never paid much attention years ago.  What about national newspapers? What about family and friends who subsrcibe?

Other ideas, craft stores, and to a much lower degree dollar stores, have tissue paper, styrofoam, bubble wrap....

at local auctions I sometimes find great deals, got hundreds of padded envelopes one time for $2. and I often see Christmas wrapping paper at auctions for a little bit of nothing... and would be better then newspaper, especially around the holidays.... and sometimes even huge boxes of old newspapers no one wants for almost nothing.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Like another poster said, I don't even remember when stores threw out unsold papers...  I was in retail for 20 years and distributors always took unsolds back.  Fortunately there are tons of better options.  I have friends/family save all kinds of recyclables but you can find things all over just while you're out and about doing other things.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I've always used end rolls, which usually have tons of paper left on them.  The best part is no newsprint.  I never use the messy newspapers themselves since they could ruin anything you wrap in them.   I just tear the paper off the rolls.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Just buy a end roll from the printers and if you want them in sheets just take your electric circular saw cut it down the side it works great I have been doing that for over 40 years.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

The easiest way to get newpapers for packing is to subscribe for delivery. Will cost some money but no running around looking for papers and you get to actually read the paper too, and coupons help offset the cost a little. 

@fern*woodwrote:

I've always used end rolls, which usually have tons of paper left on them.  The best part is no newsprint.  I never use the messy newspapers themselves since they could ruin anything you wrap in them.   I just tear the paper off the rolls.

I've always put items into a bag which seperates the item from the newspaper. The bag protects the item inside in case of soaking rain.

I've never had any complaints doing it this way.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@bargainsandbaubles

I am gonna say end rolls, find a friend who has a band saw.

Cleaner cut than a circular saw.

You could get 2 or 3 smaller rolls out of the one big roll.

it would be a sure thing for a good supply

And 3 bucks is a good deal.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Along with the little "ad" newspapers, we have two local papers that deliver to every address in the area.  People that don't want them can't get them to stop.  I am sure you could get lots of them if you lived near me.   Have you looked in the local classifieds for free moving supplies?  Sometimes people have the moving paper left over.

I don't use a lot of newspaper, mostly bubble wrap & peanuts.  I will be feeling your pain soon - my son used to bring me a box of bubble wrap from his work's shipments about every six weeks.  He has moved out of state, so I will have to start buying my bubbles! 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I have asked my neighbors who get the Sunday paper to save it for me. Maybe you could ask friends and family or neighbors to save them for you

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@bargainsandbaubleswrote:

Turns out the local newspaper here, for whatever reason, picks up all the newspapers instead of the stores tossing them or recycling them.

Asked newspaper company, they won't give me old ones, unless I wanted to "buy them by the ton"

I know it's stupid to complain, but I try to keep costs down by using as much free stuff as possible, like the USPS boxes and such.

Rig up a dispenser with a big dowel and brackets. Fasten a flat metal bar on a board with enough clearance for the paper to move under it, so you can tear the paper off as you need too. Look at it as a giant wrapping paper dispenser. You can even hang the paper roll on the wall, like a giant toilet paper roll.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I don't have a nearby newspaper office which might sell end rolls. I get paper from Uhaul. It's a reasonable deal and the sheets are a good size. I recently checked some paper offered here on ebay but could not get the seller to answer my question about number of sheets. They seem to sell by weight instead. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I don't use newspaper as it has poor cushioning value and is actually pretty heavy compared to other wrap and filler materials, but:

Look up your local recycling centers and give them a call... ask how much it costs to buy from them.

Ask your neighbors up and down if they might be willing to save daily/weekly newspapers for you if your pick up VERY regularly from them.  A plate of cookies on a regular basis as a great thank you.

Check the local cafes, taps, restaurants, etc. and see which ones might be happy to have you make the rounds later each day to pick up that day's paper, as many places subscribe for their patron's who like to read while they eat breakfast or lunch, etc.

Subscribe yourself!

Whenever your shop, look for the FREE small weekly/monthly papers and magazines that are on stands just inside doors.   Also, grocery stores usually have their weekly ad sections in stacks inside the doors for shoppers.   Take one every time you shop.  

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@bargainsandbaubleswrote:

Grab the free papers like the Penny Pincher....just be careful not to the adult hook up papers

Message 14 of 14
latest reply