cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No being given an equal chance, anyone else?

What’s going on with eBay? Can see I’ve gotten bids and offers that I was never notified about.. were talking 

Same one for $500 and another for $400 & to just push the whole thing to inconsolable levels of rage.. legit $5,000.. they tried 12 times.. didn’t receive a single notification.. come to find out was because the area was supposedly “blocked” that they were bidding from..

well how can that be when the area was Australia and I just shipped an order there two weeks prior for about $26…

so eBay tells me maybe they didn’t have the money to make the bid.. like they tried 12 times in a row and you think they didn’t have the money?? Well the error message says buying area blocked by seller.. who blocked it because I certainly didn’t??

I cannot believe this happened.. eBay won’t tell me anything useful.. after asking them to explain hope I had another sale in that same area recently without issue they told me to speak to them respectfully or they would end the conversation..

So getting called out for shady practices is being disrespectful now?

I mean I’ve caught eBay straight up lying to me on more than three occasions now, but to pull something like this..

Not only this..  

idk what’s going on at eBay but something is very very wrong. Has anybody else wound up with negative dollars after a sale?

I have some sales that cost me money.. make that make sense.. they said it’s all by the book yet refused to explain how and that they weren’t going to fix any of it. Have it all in writing..

eBay used to solve problems, idk when or why that stopped but this feels like robbery.. 

Also how many send offer prompts are considered average or normal? 

got nearly 1000 items posted and receive maybe 2-3 send offers every other day or so.. if that. Yet when I scroll through I see many items with views and watchers.. but I can’t send them offers.. if eBay rugs the deck, how does one overcome it? 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: No being given an equal chance, anyone else?

There a a lot of questions encapsulated in this post but a few comments. 

What’s going on with eBay? Can see I’ve gotten bids and offers that I was never notified about.. were talking Same one for $500 and another for $400 & to just push the whole thing to inconsolable levels of rage.. legit $5,000.. they tried 12 times.. didn’t receive a single notification.. come to find out was because the area was supposedly “blocked” that they were bidding from. well how can that be when the area was Australia and I just shipped an order there two weeks prior for about $26…

so eBay tells me maybe they didn’t have the money to make the bid.. like they tried 12 times in a row and you think they didn’t have the money?? Well the error message says buying area blocked by seller.. who blocked it because I certainly didn’t??

I really don't understand the above question/comment or what you mean by "notification". Are you referring to email notification or notification within eBay? If you never received notification about the offer how do you know about it?  EBay has also implemented a new requirement for some buyers to provide a payment method prior to placing a bid or making an offer. It may be possible your potential buyers/bidders are among that group and are either refusing to provide the payment method or the payment method was rejected. Your statement is generic it would help if you provide the item number(s) where you have had the issues. There are inconsistencies in your listings with regards to shipping as  albertabrightalberta  pointed out. 

I cannot believe this happened.. eBay won’t tell me anything useful.. after asking them to explain hope I had another sale in that same area recently without issue they told me to speak to them respectfully or they would end the conversation..

So getting called out for shady practices is being disrespectful now?

I mean I’ve caught eBay straight up lying to me on more than three occasions now, but to pull something like this..

Not totally unheard of if you were talking to customer support which is less than stellar these days. Their goal is to get you off the phone as quickly as possible and have earned a reputation for telling you what you want to hear regardless of whether it is the truth or not. Again general comment without specific details so not sure how to provide any additional information. 

Not only this..  

idk what’s going on at eBay but something is very very wrong. Has anybody else wound up with negative dollars after a sale?

I have some sales that cost me money.. make that make sense.. they said it’s all by the book yet refused to explain how and that they weren’t going to fix any of it. Have it all in writing..

eBay used to solve problems, idk when or why that stopped but this feels like robbery.. 

I have never had a sale cost me money and again your comment is general. If you can provide a screen shot of the view order details where we can see the specific financial information related to the transaction it may be possible to provide some insight. 

Also how many send offer prompts are considered average or normal? 

got nearly 1000 items posted and receive maybe 2-3 send offers every other day or so.. if that. Yet when I scroll through I see many items with views and watchers.. but I can’t send them offers.. if eBay rugs the deck, how does one overcome it? 

Again a generalized comment but this may related to the inconsistencies in your listings. The views are irrelevant but out of your current 949 active listings you only have OBO active on 772 of those so while you may have watchers on those items you cannot send them offers. 

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Nah, I know what you’re talking about and it wasn’t a matter of advertising fees. Found that out the hard way upfront when they tried to claim 25% advertising fee on a 250 order.. never again. This is more like office space where they’re skin off change here & there then refusing to account for it. Accept it isn’t pennies. Meh.. I suggest you look at your numbers closely.. may not be something that you’ve caught on to. I however have been noticing unaccounted for inconsistencies & I’ve got the paperwork to back it up. 

Please post the specific examples. Without the details difficult to assess the "inconsistencies". 

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

You’ve made a lot of assumptions & I see you’ve drawn conclusions without actually understanding what I’m talking about. In fact none of you seem to actually be attempting to understand what I’m saying. What are shipping “no-nos” for that matter? look if some items have reasonable fees while other ones don’t, how is that my fault? They’re the ones taking it out. if I set my account to not be restricted to ship to another country yet they block a huge bid and claim it was blocked despite manually changing it to not be blocked then how is it disrespectful to ask them how it got blocked? its a question, not an act of aggression 

Without specific details about all we can do is make assumptions or provide some information/suggestions based on reviewing some of your listings but not many of us are going to go through all 900+ of your active listings or the items you have sold to look at the specifics. 

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Nah you’ve got it all twisted. First part was real straight forward. For whatever reason I’ve noticed that I have expired offers on listings that I was never notified about. Isn’t about “hand holding” why am I notified about some but not others? 

And no not necessarily as it’s inconsistent. Sometimes for the same sake let’s say $6 all said and done I’ll make $3 other times that same sale has me negative $1.80.. makes absolutely no sense.

Can you provide the sale details for both items? Hard to see any inconsistencies without specific detail. I have been on eBay for a long time and check the details of the transactions and have never found an inconsistency in the charges. 

As easy as it is to chalk it up to a “me” problem, that would be easy enough to deduce on my own. I’m bringing it up here because it makes no sense. There are multiple instances of this happening on my account and the pattern that has emerged is that sometimes their fees are reasonable meanwhile other times they’re unbelievable. For example sold a nearly $700 box of Spider-Man, barely cleared $500 all said and done. That’s not a “me problem” that’s called a shake down. 

I don't see this item in your sold listings so difficult to assess. Not sure if the item had free or calculated shipping, if calculated shipping what the buyer paid to ship and what you paid for the label, what category it was listed in, where the buyer that bought the item was located (sales tax fee calculations), whether you promoted the listing, whether you had a handling fee, whether the $500 you claim to have cleared was your eBay payout or whether the $500 factored in other costs. 

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@leavingitatthat wrote:

How kind of you to assume as much. You’re wrong but thanks for chiming in.. 

I can't be wrong. There is no way for you to be NEGATIVE balance after a sale unless you are doing something very wrong. It's your fault, not eBay if you are not accounting for fees and shipping. If you don't know what you are doing, it's very easy to lose money. eBay is straight forward with fees. Even if you promote, they are upfront about costs. 

If all you want to do is point a finger, good luck. No one here is going to be able to help you. You will need to explain line by line, what happened before anyone could offer you help beyond what you have received. 

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Well that’s disappointing to see you feel that way. I’m a very reasonable individual who feels as though it’s not worth anyone’s time to give a reasonable amount of consideration toward looking at what is being said. Granted there were some pretty ridiculous typos that didn’t help. I see one a few individuals who made a concerted effort to clarify though each have ultimately neglected the issues I’ve brought up. Which to me is strange as this is in everyone’s best interest at least those of us who are here to make money. So I would think a “smart” seller would have a vested interest in understanding what it is that I’m attempting to discuss in order to get the bottom of it. As while it may appear to be only my problem from a Birds Eye view, if it is well then no worries. If it isn’t however then this affects every single one of us. Now while the odds are high that I’ve misunderstood something within this as I’ve said I’ve got evidence to back it up. Yet as I revisit this issue a solid month later as of this time I have not received any form of communication from anyone in order to investigate the matter or discuss it in more depth which doesn’t seem very “smart” to me. You’re. Statements alone don’t demonstrate any kind of understanding of how this market actually operates or what’s involved with being highly successful in operating on it. As your claim is not only baseless, it’s completely absurd. The most successful account on eBay, deals exclusively in items below $20 and often below $10, yet they have managed to make at least though likely substantially more than 72 million dollars in there time on eBay. Even with their fee’s that’s downright nothing short of very successful and highly profitable. Anyone who thinks the way you do will never be truly successful in this type of market at least not consistently. Unfortunately your mentality seems to be the prevailing one in many industries these days. 20 bucks used to get lunch for a week when I was a kid, now it’s not uncommon to spend close to that on a meal. Yes it’s avoidable but it shouldn’t be uncommon. It’s absurd 

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.

That "most successful account on eBay" (not sure how you know that) is no doubt a Chinese seller or a professional like Ali Express or Temu that relies on volume to make money.

Your comparison of lunch prices, in the past vs current, actually does not have much relevance to your issue other than to support my statement.

And, BTW, paragraphs can be your friends.  

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.

That "most successful account on eBay" (not sure how you know that) is no doubt a Chinese seller or a professional like Ali Express or Temu that relies on volume to make money.

Your comparison of lunch prices, in the past vs current, actually does not have much relevance to your issue other than to support my statement.

And, BTW, paragraphs can be your friends.  

I posted several replies to the OP asking for some clarity but OP has never provided any additional information other than the purported $700 box of comics that they cleared less than $500 on but does not show up in their sold listings. 

OP also claimed to have "lost money" on several transactions. This is indeed possible but OP has never provided any detail on what those items were and a quick scan of their sold items I didn't see anything where this may have happened. 

Message 23 of 23
latest reply