cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tax rules for 2022

This might end an ebay seller of collectables after 23 years, 7k+ FB's at 100%. The extra time with paperwork keeping track of sells at 1c to $100, minus the original cost, etc. Always look forward to listing 250 lots each month but will not renew my store next year.  Seems the liberal gov. after the smalltime sellers to raise funds for the social programs.

Message 1 of 144
latest reply
143 REPLIES 143

Re: New tax rules for 2022

They sure don't. And with the poor wages they are paid do you blame them?

Message 91 of 144
latest reply

@chiachadly wrote:

@downunder-61 wrote:

Tax evasion is fraud, and if you have not declared profit you have made on eBay in 23 years, I would not be announcing that on a public forum for all and sundry to read.

The keyword is PROFIT. For people selling personal items, this is a huge problem. Not everyone on eBay is running a business. In the new economy as things move digital, eBay for many of us is literally a garage sale. We have fallen on hard times and are selling our own stuff.

The point of the 20K threshold was to stop people selling personal stuff from having to treat items they have no record or receipts for like stocks.  Dismissal of this new rule is pure ignorance. SOME people maybe should have been reporting profit. But, there will be a lot of us swept up in this dumb new rule that no longer makes the distinction between a tax-dodging business and a person.

As you can tell by now you'll get no sympathy from some out here. They would call you a tax evader for the 10 cent lemonade stand you had when you were 9. Big government types. No freedom. All government. 

Message 92 of 144
latest reply

You probably were.

Message 93 of 144
latest reply

@chiachadly wrote:

@downunder-61 wrote:

Tax evasion is fraud, and if you have not declared profit you have made on eBay in 23 years, I would not be announcing that on a public forum for all and sundry to read.

The keyword is PROFIT. For people selling personal items, this is a huge problem. Not everyone on eBay is running a business. In the new economy as things move digital, eBay for many of us is literally a garage sale. We have fallen on hard times and are selling our own stuff.

The point of the 20K threshold was to stop people selling personal stuff from having to treat items they have no record or receipts for like stocks.  Dismissal of this new rule is pure ignorance. SOME people maybe should have been reporting profit. But, there will be a lot of us swept up in this dumb new rule that no longer makes the distinction between a tax-dodging business and a person.

According to some if you seller a 25 year old T-shirt for .25 you paid $5 for at a flea market and don't report is YOU'RE A TAX EVADER GO TO PRISON GRANDPAAAAAAAAA

Message 94 of 144
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

I can guarantee you 100% of them didn't reach the previous threshhold of 20k

Being paid in cash can't be policed, but if those tips start going through a payment processor things may change  LOL.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID

Why so much concern over US Tax Law? 🤔

Message 95 of 144
latest reply

Dayum but this crying and whining is getting OLD.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 96 of 144
latest reply

yeah, they will! so many stores already shutting down...its sad...pure greed ..its pathetic that an elderly grandma who occasionally sells items on eBay to help supplement her already measly income will now have to report these measly dollars while a multi-millionaire doesn't have to pay one penny.you got us messed up!

Message 97 of 144
latest reply

it is great!!!! more people certainly will be shutting down their stores 

Message 98 of 144
latest reply

really? wow..

Message 99 of 144
latest reply

@dq3141 wrote:

@damico1209 wrote:

The bill Build Back Better got thrown out … at least for now… thank God!!! 

How exactly does its failure benefit you?

I think the intentions of it are good. Let's face it. Climate change is real, despite what the cooks say. Just look around and it's not hard to say and I'd argue coming faster than anyone expects. Tornadoes east in Ny, NJ and tornado alley moving hundreds of miles east over the past few years? Massive droughts, stronger hurricanes. All that melting ice is real. Although I sure am curious what the hell is under that ice in the Antarctic. Hell of a way to find out though.

The implimentation of anything the govt does? meh. And America desperately needs infrastructure. 

It's not a quick profit and there's no plan. The interstate system had a great plan and imagine if we didn't have it?

Better to tax Facebook and Google with a tiny amount of employees with massive profits then terrorize the little people is just my opinion. At least Amazon provides goods and services. Facebook & Instagram provide nothing but social decay.

Message 100 of 144
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

@2_little_time wrote:

Fully aware. 

Again....not all of us are selling new junk.  If you people don't see what you are selling like a 'garage sale'....or 'swap meet' ..and have a regular day job...don't bother responding.   

Too many people in here bent over for Biden...  

Can't wait to watch this unfold.  If Ebay is your only outlet...that's your problem. 😎

Me either, it is going to be a trainwreck for everyone like yourself who does not know the IRS taxation laws and comes on a public forum to announce the fact LOL.

download.jpg

Again, I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID - why so much concern over US tax law? 

Message 101 of 144
latest reply

Hey

I sell on eBay, rule was you had to meet two criteria;

1. Have had 200+ transactions

2. Had sales to totaling $20k+

so NO we haven’t had to pay taxes on income that don’t meet the above two criteria. Got that??

Message 102 of 144
latest reply

That was 

@jms7032 wrote:

Hey

I sell on eBay, rule was you had to meet two criteria;

1. Have had 200+ transactions

2. Had sales to totaling $20k+

so NO we haven’t had to pay taxes on income that don’t meet the above two criteria. Got that??

That was just the trigger to actually get a 1099K prior. Don't worry you're not alone millions of sellers didn't report their "income" on items sold via P/L either. 

Now with this reporting trigger being lowered to $600, they will be forced to.

Two options for selling online in 2022 & beyond if this holds up:

1. Stop.

2. Prepare accordingly.

Message 103 of 144
latest reply

@wildpitchsports wrote:

If they're that upset they should be putting pressure on their state governments. State governments are allowed to set a minimum wage that's higher than the federal minimum wage if they want. Where I live, it's currently $15.20 and goes up every year with the COI. No reason other states can't do the same.

Message 104 of 144
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@wildpitchsports wrote:

If they're that upset they should be putting pressure on their state governments. State governments are allowed to set a minimum wage that's higher than the federal minimum wage if they want. Where I live, it's currently $15.20 and goes up every year with the COI. No reason other states can't do the same.

Oh I wish that were true in every state. Lord knows these corporations can afford it. That would be ideal, if they would - but that would cut into their Karashian-worshipping Instagram and Facebook time. 

Heaven forbid Americans do something productive.

Message 105 of 144
latest reply