cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New seller, eBays holds funds, lost package refund question (s)

I was seller  17 years in 90-2007. Recently came back & had to make a new account.

So Many Changes as I know you’re all aware.

eBay holds all my buyers payment until they determine package has arrived.

Is this the case for all sellers or just the new?

At the moment I’m in the middle of lost package via UPS & USPS nightmare

that’s been hell every single twist & turn and not over yet.

At this point I know I will be refunding the buyer. Going to say $100.00 as example.

With eBay holding my funds will the refund be paid from my “available funds”?

If so, What if there’s  not enough in available funds to cover? Say only $50.00 . 

I’m assuming the other $50.00 Will be drawn from my personal bank account.

If so what about the other $50.00? The other $50.00 that eBay will be withholding/still 

have from buyers payment?

One last question: what to do when a buyer does not cooperate/respond in regards to

His lost package? Cant file claims without him. (Knew what do in 90-2007) What can I do?

Or do I prepare for totally screwed (not getting paid $100.00 but instead paying $100.00 for a item I should

Have never “sold”)?

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: New seller, eBays holds funds, lost package refund question (s)

Since you are selling from a new account you are going to have to go through the pains of having your money held till it shows delivered.  After some time of no problems with the shipping time and delivery this restriction will be lifted. It takes tim,e. And it takes sales.  Yes it is a hurdle to overcome but if you are selling regularly  it will go away soon enough. 
Once this restriction is lifted and you are selling regularly with no defects against your account you can also call to get an increase in available listings.

The money should be on hold immediately. They release enough to cover the cost of shipping. But if it never arrives or there is a problem requiring a refund this shipping amount  they initially released will come from your bank account on file with them or with your payment processor (probably PayPal).
If you offered free shipping then none of the money required to ship it will be released. This comes out of your pocket and you are waiting to the original amount to be released after it shows as delivered.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@kswoodsman wrote:

. . . or with your payment processor (probably PayPal).

PayPal???

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I haven't had to deal with this yet so I might not be correct but the way that I understand it is that yes, the funds will come from your available funds but the funds on hold are not considered as 'available'  so the refund would come from money you did have available and from your bank account.  I believe that hold takes a few days to come off and then those funds will be put into your account.

I'm not familiar with usps or ups insurance so I can't comment on your question about that.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I'm sorry I didn't read your question properly as I thought that the funds were on hold because the buyer opened an inr....not sure how I missed the new seller hold part of the question!  I have no idea how holds work with new sellers when an inr is filed and the money was on hold already.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I sold an item for $220. Ebay put 178 into my account. The item was lost in the mail. I will have to refund the buyer 220.00. Will ebay refund the sellers fees and shipping?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@oldguyrich wrote:

I sold an item for $220. Ebay put 178 into my account. The item was lost in the mail. I will have to refund the buyer 220.00. Will ebay refund the sellers fees and shipping?

If you do the refund properly through eBay, the fees (-$0.30) will be refunded.

Shipping will not be refunded by eBay because that money went to the carrier, not  to eBay.

Any shipping refund would come through your claim with the carrier, if insured against loss.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@oldguyrich wrote:

Seller fees: yes

Shipping: eBay will not refund that, because you paid that to the shipper, not to eBay.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

You were selling on eBay in 1990? You got a five year jump on everybody else then.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@misitme101 wrote:

One last question: what to do when a buyer does not cooperate/respond in regards to

His lost package? Cant file claims without him. (Knew what do in 90-2007) What can I do?

Or do I prepare for totally screwed (not getting paid $100.00 but instead paying $100.00 for a item I should

Have never “sold”)?

Thank you in advance.

For a shipment that is lost with no delivery scan you do NOT need any co-operation from the buyer to file a claim with the carrier.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply