cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New seller asking for advice

Hi, I´m Ana, a new ebay seller!

I started selling in January with all the limitations on how much I could list, I think I only could list 10 products in the first month!

Today I have 280 listings and I add about 5 new listings every day. I subscribed to a store.

I sell my handmade ceramics and pottery, which I understand is not an easy-to-sell product.

I am running a sale to see if it attracts more customers. I haven't sold anything yet!

I also sell online in other places.

I would like to ask the more experienced sellers to take a look at my store and point out what I could improve if you have the time of course!

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Greetings from Portugal!

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: New seller asking for advice

Hi Ana the first thing to do is take your own picture off ebay id and replace it with an image that suits what your selling. Second I would add in Best offer on everything use the auto decline and auto accept feature so you don't have to deal with low ball offers. Third I would generate a store public coupon at 17-20% off. Lastly some of your items have only a 5% discount if your sales are slower run a more aggressive sale. Also you may need to use promoted listing standard to advertise a bit. Are you using the share button at the top of each listing?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Hi Ana-

Good morning.  I looked at your shop and it's very nice. You display good photos and details to your items. The only thing I would suggest is that your prices are a bit high.  $45 for a mug and $17 to ship is somewhat pricey.  You've got lots of competition in your category, especially the necklaces.  I would check out what other sellers are selling their pottery items for and try to stay competitive.  Your work is lovely and I wish you much success.  Good luck. 

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Thank you so much for your help and your kind words! I will definitely check my competition here on Ebay. I´m trying to get used to the Terapeak Product Research Tool. I think I will get there with some more practice!

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Hello Ana,

Nice store and nice products!  Good job!

As @ckimodog pointed out, the prices are a bit high, but hey you have to make money.

The only other advice I might have for you is "diversify". Sell different items and more of them.

If sales on ceramics slows down, you will have other products to sustain you.

Good luck!

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I think your items are beautiful. The pictures are nice and clear. 

Two things. First do not put anything in your main picture that is not included with the item.

An example, I don't believe your wooden utensils are included in your listing for utensil pots. People are going to expect them to be included because they are pictured. People don't like to read the description sometimes. Even your listing doesn't state clearly either way. I noticed a few other listings like that as well, where it may be confusing as to what your actually getting or an unscrupulous buyer will claim item not as described. 

The other thing, may be to put the height or size  in the title. 

Good luck with your endeavor.  I hope you succeeded. 

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

One thing I might add is to only have the item for sale in photos. (Unless extra item shows size) 

Do I get the wooden utensils with my purchase? Are there 2 items for this price. Are there succulents included. Believe me descriptions are not always read. You have to be very clear or your going to have problems or at least unnecessary questions.

Judy

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Thank you!

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Hi Ana the first thing to do is take your own picture off ebay id and replace it with an image that suits what your selling. Second I would add in Best offer on everything use the auto decline and auto accept feature so you don't have to deal with low ball offers. Third I would generate a store public coupon at 17-20% off. Lastly some of your items have only a 5% discount if your sales are slower run a more aggressive sale. Also you may need to use promoted listing standard to advertise a bit. Are you using the share button at the top of each listing?

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

If I wanted to buy a ceramic pumpkin button I would not pay $17.97 to get one from Poetugal  when I can get one for $7.97 shipped faster from the US.

Your mugs are just too expensive. Not a tad bit high either. You priced them like they're kutani. Most hand crafted mugs are in the $15- $20 range unless they're from a well known studio.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Thank you!

I will change my main pictures to only show the item that is for sale. I´ve read here in the forums to use a white background for the main listing, I think that is what I´m gonna do.

I will experiment with your suggestion of putting the measurements in the title, lets's see how it goes!

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@ceramicaanarafael 

Well aren't you a breath of fresh air and good morning to you!

I like your beads especially those fish. That's different and if I were you and had your talents I would make turtle beads, kitty beads, dog, lady bugs, dolphins  and the list goes on.

Agree with the rest of the posters with some of your prices on the larger vases and pots, tad high. Now I know these are handmade and designed by you personally and I appreciate Artisan work but shipping costs may deter someone from buying.

The Artisan buttons are a fabulous idea though, so clever!

Best to you always!

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Also, the mugs should have how many ounces it holds. 

I've always bought a pair of mugs at local craft shows each year, and the most I've paid was 30 bucks each. 

I doubt you could lower your shipping charges from Portugal to the US, but you'll need to figure that out somehow. If 2 can ship as cheap as 1, sell them in pairs - that way the shipping doesn't appear as high.

It looks like you are on your way to success. Patience is vital. Until you can establish a name for yourself and your works, it might be best to lower your prices. 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Tiny note with that.  Only show one item if the listing is only for one.   People don't read and they can choose to be mean about things that seem obvious.  

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Thank you!

I am already changing the main pictures and will put the staged pictures as the second picture.

I´m finding the tool to edit the photos very helpful!

Message 15 of 22
latest reply