cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious buyer. Scam? I have never encountered anything like this.

I sold a phone this morning for $280, the buyer is asking me to forge an invoice to include in the shipment for $44.95 and state that the phone is for parts. The shipping address is in Florida but he states that it is going to be forwarded internationally. I'm assuming that he is trying to save money on customs but could this be a scam in some way? The buyer has 64 positive reviews, 0 negative reviews. 

buyerbuyermemebuyerbuyerbuyerbuyer

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

The buyer is asking you to create fraudulent documents so they can avoid customs/import fees. Tell them that legally you cannot falsify the invoice or customs documents and ask if they want you to cancel the order.

You should report the buyer for making demands that were not included in the listing.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Yep if a forein sale, and they are asking you to fake an invoice : it is to save em money: also illegal.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

If you don't want to go along with the buyer just tell them you won't include any invoice, they can make it up themselves and send it to the Forwarder.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

If he will cheat on import fees, he will cheat on you.

That being said, most of the Money Back Guarantee ends when the shipment reaches the freight forwarder.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

If you're ok doing it ... do it.

If you're not ok doing it ... don't do it. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

If he will cheat on import fees, he will cheat on you.

That being said, most of the Money Back Guarantee ends when the shipment reaches the freight forwarder.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

That's what I thought off, send it, let buyer deal with it on his side. No need to send any documentation, they can forge their own invoice. Copy and paste does wonders. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

If you don't recognize that as the beginning of a scam attempt, then you probably need to do a little more reading.  

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Concur on reporting the buyer. Besides the eBay reporting you may also want to send the narrative exchanges along with the buyers name and address information to the customs agency of the country the buyer lives in. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Can I dispute a negative review from the buyer if I cancel?

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

There are no secrets on-line. If you do something illegal, like falsify a document, you could easily be caught. Not only is it against eBay rules, it is against the law. Why would you even consider it?

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@inhawaii 

"If you're ok doing it ... do it."

I take it you have not read the bottom of a customs form?

It is a felony to provide false information on a Customs Form

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

You can dispute it.

Can you win the Dispute?

This is why Unpaid Item Disputes are better than cancellations.

The loser of a Dispute cannot leave FB and any earlier FB on that transaction can be removed.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

The buyer is out of line and should be reported to eBay, per their policy. See link below. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/international-postage?id=418...

It's illegal to falsify customs declarations or mark an item as a "gift" in order to avoid customs fees. If a buyer asks you to commit customs fraud, report it to us”

Message 15 of 16
latest reply