cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New listing tool is removing all the formatting from my custom template in the description box!

Instead of ranting as I would like, I am just going to state the facts.  Since I was forced into adopting the new listing tool I have not been able to complete a listing without an issue.  Don't even get me started on all of the sub-menus that take like 4 times longer to use, that is another rant.  My big problem is that it is removing the formatting from my custom template in the description box.  It is a pretty basic template that I created probably 15 years ago, and have never had an issue.  Note:  I am using the SELL SIMILAR function.  When I start the listing, everything is OK with the formatting.  If I go into the description box to change the product information and then click on another option outside of the box, the formatting is gone.  If I click on the SEE MORE OPTIONS link above the box, the formatting is gone.  I have been able to replicated this several different ways.  Interesting that when I click to view the HTML, instead of the code being "formatted" like it always was, it is now just jumbled-up in one long "paragraph".  I even went all the way through the listing process to see if the loss of template formatting was something I was just seeing on my end... but it in the end the final product still had template formatting removed.

Anyone else having this problem?

Anyone find a way to stop this from happening?

Thanks for your input!

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: New listing tool is removing all the formatting from my custom template in the description box!

I have heard others with the same issues for the last  2 weeks.   I personally  have had issues with similar circumstances- whenever you make a change to a section in the shipping and click to the next detail- it resets everything. I had to enter html code manually to get a section of my text to be RED since the new color gamut is only muted shades of black now.  

I am trying not to rant as well- but this tool makes it so hard not to!. It is so glaringly wrong on so many levels it just baffles the mind.....aside from the obviously design issues(popups, extra clicks, forces you to work on just one little subsection at a time so there is no chance of workflow, unintuitive, etc.), what I cannot fathom is the the fact that it just not work! its just ones and zeros.... if you program it to do something- why does it not work and is full of glitches? I just dont understand.  my car is computerized and it never just runs off the road randomly. Is it really just human error in programming?  If so why on earth is ebay the cheapest and least experienced programmers on the planet to build our platform? 

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Re: New listing tool is removing all the formatting from my custom template in the description box!

I'm pretty sure it's intentional, I tried the new listing tool for one time when it was still in "beta" (even though it was released as pretty much an alpha version 😂) and it seems like they just want all listings to be the same 'cookie cutter' format and look now. They hide the description on mobile unless you tap to view the whole thing, so I fear as that only strengthens my point, as (I assume) they figure nobody will see it anyway.
I'm contemplating leaving once I get switched over, I build my own templates to stand out and be unique and eBay stifling that creativity rubs me the wrong way.

Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night.
Set the man on fire...
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I have tried various methods to see if I could maintain the html structure within the description. Nothing I tried worked.

I tried:

copy and paste from my source (notepad)

copy and paste from one listing to another

originating/writing the code in the new listing box (with formatting)

copy and paste the code from an html editor

no sequence maintained the structure when saving/viewing.

It all turned into a wall of text that is virtually impossible to edit.

I suspect it is to discourage amateurs from loading up code that is not compliant with current standards.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I think I read that Ebay wants a uniform appearance for all listings, just like Amazon.  And nobody has more wet dreams of becoming the next Jeff Bezos then the string of feckless Ebay CEOs and their lackeys.  Thus Ebay is trying to get rid of the individual flavor of sellers and the best way is to prohibit sellers from creating their own templates and HTML code.  Alas, Ebay's business model will never allow Ebay to outcompete Amazon as Amazon's business model has greater efficiencies, e.g. shipping.

By the way csacom, IMHO your template is a bit dated and nobody is going to read all that stuff.  They just want to click and purchase and have the item arrive in a reasonable amount of time.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

You are not the only one having problems with the new listing tool, my main problem is when you list say using sell similar it seems to want to move everything to the left then you have to go back through the complete listing and move everything back to center which is what I use as it looks better on a desktop. the other problem is I cannot figure how to move photos once you enter them you have to delete and install  photos again in the old version you could drag a picture  the new listing tool says something about drag photos but I cannot make it work. lastly the background remover is the worst I have ever seen don't even try to use it any more so bottom line it is much harder to list with the new tool but eBay could care less your time means nothing to them

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@gottasellemall69 wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's intentional, I tried the new listing tool for one time when it was still in "beta" (even though it was released as pretty much an alpha version 😂) and it seems like they just want all listings to be the same 'cookie cutter' format and look now. They hide the description on mobile unless you tap to view the whole thing, so I fear as that only strengthens my point, as (I assume) they figure nobody will see it anyway.
I'm contemplating leaving once I get switched over, I build my own templates to stand out and be unique and eBay stifling that creativity rubs me the wrong way.

Good point... but I am not happy about that.  I get so many issues with buyers using the app.  eBay does "hide" a lot of important information, plus the buyers tend to look at the photo/price and purchase.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

They went from a 'What You See Is What You Get' editor to a 'You Don't See Anything, You Don't Get Anything' editor 🤣

But yes while I realize that what, ~60% of users are buying on the app, it's no excuse to assume that means everyone is listing on the app as well. Pigeonholing your userbase (not to mention killing the business of all the template designers that sell on here too) into a tool that isn't even a finished product isn't a good look.

Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night.
Set the man on fire...
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I just spoke with a high level agent that has ben there for 16 years. He admitted that the 50-60% buys on a phone is not actually accurate- that statistic is better said- originates on a phone.... people search on phone but if it is anything of value - generally save it and complete purchase at home on a computer.

Either way - the listing tool has nothing to do with people buying so why are we forced into a sub standard tool that does not even work yet, not to mention its horribly inefficient design when used on a desktop

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I tried the new "tool" last week for one listing. Of course, it took me forever to find all the hidden links and icons, but I actually created a listing. However, it was in a completely different font, which looked terrible. I mean, they couldn't even keep the original font? What a joke.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

It looks like eBay has fixed this issue.  The HTML view is still a mess, but the formatting is no longer being removed while editing. 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

The continuing bugs and glitches are confusing to me because, isnt it all just ones and zeros?   once its written how can it go wrong. I understand that some links or connections may have been overlooked an need to be added, changed, or adjusted but why does the listing tool just not work right?   people are still complaining about the item specifics page jumping and resetting, the pictures module not saving edits, the page freezing, the lists goes on and on.  We are over year into the full scale release and the same issues still persist.

Granted- the most obvious problem with the tool was design. Forcing a mobile phone app onto our desktops was a mistake- its less functional and no where near efficient enough to satisfy the majority of listers. Not to mention its non logical progression of listing with all the popups and hidden features- makes listing feel like its the first you ever listed EVEN AFTER listing with it for 6 months.  Its just not natural. There is no flow- you constantly wonder what you forgot and are looking back. There is no sense of - I did that section and its done and i can move on- half the time you add an item specific and then when you look- ITS GONE.     As a lister- we cannot trust this tool.  that is a problem.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Yeah, my big gripe is that they block you from going into advanced formatting, every time.  "are you sure you want to add life to your listing so you can sell your items?"   YES, jesus man, it's like they don't want you to add color and change your font size.  What is the reasoning behind this??

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I think what they want is to permanently drive away small sellers and maintain their Chinese power sellers.  

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@lakeland_music wrote:

I think what they want is to permanently drive away small sellers and maintain their Chinese power sellers.  

yep that's the reason they give away 250 listings a month.......

Message 15 of 21
latest reply