cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Store Format Bad For Sellers and Buyers... Or Am I Wrong?

It looks like they've changed the format for eBay stores.  At first I was impressed with it's nice clean look.  However, I think it's going to mean decreased sales and a much worse experience for buyers.

First, searches within the stores are useless, including the default search box that eBay includes directly underneath the item specifics.  It goes directly to the main store page, showing all items as organized by best match.  In other words, it's not searching anything at all, so it just defaults to the main page.

Second.  Forget about using internal links to make it easier for buyers to find either "sets", or similar items.  That doesn't work either.  So as an example, say you're selling vintage postcards and you have a keyword search link to all your items by a particular company or artist, perhaps Ellen Clapsaddle.  That doesn't work anymore.  Any internal link will default back to the main store page.  Those are the same links that eBay previously allowed and actually still has a link generator to create them.

Third.  The search box at the very top of the store page, does actually work.  It's the only one I've found that does.  I've personally never used that when browsing somebody elses store but kudos to eBay for allowing at least some ability to search.  That said, it seems that, now, eBay is selling outside advertising within stores.  The very first search I tried, returned an off-site "featured ad" in the very top, number one, spot.  I replicated it with a few other searches.  So, and I'm talking anchor store, it seems we're paying for the privelege of having eBay direct buyers to shop elsewhere.  Again, the outside ads were the VERY FIRST thing seen searching within the store.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Seeing the same here. Search box from listing showing all items, if I don't search more than one word such as "zinc", the items with zinc in the title won't even show up. Squished store logo picture. No sub categories. I keep going to the left looking for the search box. I didn't realize about the advertisement right at the top when searching. That's not cool!

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

btw... this new format showed up several weeks ago and then went back to normal after a couple days, and now it just came back on my storefront yesterday. Also once in a while I'll get a single item sold email that's completely different. 

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

I never use the store view. It's far easier to look at other items using see other items. Then I can edit them and see what i want.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

I think it's supposed to appear clean and modern (and stuff).  To me it just seems simplistic - as in kindergarten picture book simplistic.  Not particularly professional, just overly large and silly.

Search at the top is a nightmare - looks just like the regular eBay search with only a dropbox to differentiate from the store's.  Buyers are already challenged enough finding anything with the broken search function, why would you purposefully muddy the waters even further?

~M

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

I guess my biggest gripe is the internal keyword links which I use extensively.  Example, and my items are pretty diverse, but before I could link to results showing all "cat and dog" items and the buyer could narrow things down pretty easy.  That's useless now.  They could still go into the differing categories, but I have "cat and dog" items that span several different categories.  So it's not only more time consuming for the buyer, but also less accurate.  I suspect most buyers are just going to hit the back button to their original search results, rather than continuing to search within individual stores.

I also carry sets of related items.  They can purchase the unique individual items, or get a complete set at reduced costs.  It was a simple link to the sets within the item description that took them to the item immediately.  That is now impossible.

The featured "outside" ads are across the board and keyword dependent.  "Cat" will show the paid banner ad in every store on ebay right now.  Number 1 in the results, before the actual store items.  It seems ebay is intentionally trying to drive buyers away from whatever particular store they happen to be browsing.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

The problem is most sellers don't set up their stores properly. For instance if I'm buying gently used designer clothes, I'd like to be able to search stores by size or type of clothing. Most of the time sellers just put their item in the store as an amorphous blob.

I gave up. One of the things I like to know is if the item has been relisted. It's easier to search completed items outside of the store format.

I suspect there are a lot of other buyers who feel the same way. I've purchased over $200k on Ebay and don't use the store format.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

On my store pro*spin*books if you use the search term miniature an ad and picture for another ebay store "Sweet Friends" comes up.

I also have searced other stores with the term "dolls" entered in the new search box and the same ad comes up. 

On the new listing page there is no "Save this seller" link

The new page for printing labels makes you put in 3 measurments for Media mail, a total waste of time. I have been told all of these and more changes are part of ebay's new seller friendly project I hope things don't get much friendlier because I don't think I can take any more.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

I know what you're saying.... but regardless of those sellers who have tens of thousands of "other" items in a one category store, there is no reason for eBay to disable the ability to search within individual stores.  I always browse seller stores when I buy something and no matter how they arrange their categories, if the search function works right then I'm good.

And placing "featured" ads in the top spot of store search results is, putting it mildly,  pretty **bleep**.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

same here.  i RARELY go into a seller's store.  On Ama*on, I would rather stay on the same item page and just scroll down and view the "selling similar" or "related" items.  It takes less time and I feel it's more geared to what I'm looking for as a buyer vs viewing many pages of items in a seller's store which I may not be interested in.  

But on ebay, I do NOT scroll down the ad to view the "selling similar" items since they are NOT the same as far as item condition, item quantity and/or item volume, seller quality, etc.

**************************************************************************************
I'm only on the internet once or so per week, so if you have a response or question for me and I don't get to it within 2 hours, be prepared to wait another week or more. Sorry but fuzzy furballs take catnaps too!! -)
MY REVIEW/GUIDELINES FOR BUYING ON EBAY FOR BUYERS -UPDATED JULY 31 2017
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

The HTML coding in my title keeps coming and going.  Sometimes it displays correctly, other times (like now) it shows the code.  Also, the number of items in the category on the left come and go.  Anyone else have this problem?

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

@pro*spin*books wrote:

On my store pro*spin*books if you use the search term miniature an ad and picture for another ebay store "Sweet Friends" comes up.

I also have searced other stores with the term "dolls" entered in the new search box and the same ad comes up. 

On the new listing page there is no "Save this seller" link

The new page for printing labels makes you put in 3 measurments for Media mail, a total waste of time. I have been told all of these and more changes are part of ebay's new seller friendly project I hope things don't get much friendlier because I don't think I can take any more.

I'm not seeing that, but this  (I do have ad blocker, whether that makes a difference, I don't know)

image.png

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

on Ama*on, I like the fact the items have (star icon) reviews next to them with their prices.  It's easier for me to decide not to even view a 2-star or less item vs. whether I should take  a look at a 3 star or more item.  And the more reviews there are on a 4 star or more item, the more likely I'll click on it.  Thousands of people giving an item a 4 star review is different from say 8 people giving an item a 4 star review.  But i then also READ the reviews too to make sure it's what i'm looking for.

**************************************************************************************
I'm only on the internet once or so per week, so if you have a response or question for me and I don't get to it within 2 hours, be prepared to wait another week or more. Sorry but fuzzy furballs take catnaps too!! -)
MY REVIEW/GUIDELINES FOR BUYING ON EBAY FOR BUYERS -UPDATED JULY 31 2017
Message 13 of 35
latest reply

alan@ebay

Don't know if this rollout for stores will stick or not.........  but any chance of getting any info (which I thought was going to happen before the rollout, at least from the last update).....  I don't see any way to put a link on the store landing page  to items on sale......

I presume this page under manage my store:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SetupYourCustomListingHeader&ssPageName=STRK:MESUB:STORE:103&S...

is out of date, at least it doesn't seem to be working for me...........

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

NEW STORE FORMAT equals NO SALES! When it was changed back for me sales started coming in...
Now here it is the weekend and I am back to the NEW STORE FORMAT....and DEAD! There is still no way to search items within the store....VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!

EBAY'S THEME SONG for SELLERS....."SORRY NOT SORRY"....
Message 15 of 35
latest reply