cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AI Generated Item Description In Catalog is Dangerously Bad

I don't know how many sellers have noticed, but eBay is now using some sort of AI to generate "About This Product" text for its catalog. Firstly, it seems like being assigned to a catalog entry is no longer easy. Even if you don't use the catalog to create your listing, eBay's back end often assigns you to it.

The catalog has always been poorly done. From it's stock photos, to the assumption that the item you are selling actually matches the item specifics and description in the catalog, the end result has been buyers submitting more NAD claims than ever.

But now we have new AI generated descriptions.

There are three major problems with it:

1) It's LONG. It takes up 3/4 of my 32" monitor screen, so you can imagine how much space it takes up on a phone. 

2) It's WRONG. Yes, AIs can generate useful text, but they can also generate nonsensical drivel. Check out the catalog Product Information text for this listing.  Half of the text is not true or misleading. Other parts do not pertain to what I am selling (like choosing Black for the body color or saying that it comes with a lens).

3) This isn't necessarily an AI issue, but the catalog's item specifics are often wrong or incomplete. eBay does not appear to be using authoritative sources for their information, but randomly picking a seller's listing to use in the catalog.

Here is how to fix it:

1) Short term fix: Do not apply the catalog to any items other than New or Open Box, unless the seller specifically chooses to use the catalog. This will help prevent misleading information from being associated with a listing.

2) Stop using an AI to generate item descriptions - especially without having a human expert verify that the information is accurate. 

3) Limit the length of the catalog description to 300 words to avoid it taking up so much of the screen.

4) Make use of the catalog optional.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Oh no.  Don't tell me the D minus interns have discovered AI.   

Is there even any team management at this company? 

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Well!  

Hello Kitty just got more interesting.   Nice work, ebay AI.  Super job. 

blurryrobot_0-1692771943285.png

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Aren't item specifics supposes to be accurate? I don't understand what you are saying. I make sure my listings are accurate.

I'm guessing you are talking about the auto fills from the GTIN.

But those are for stalk and still responsibility of seller to ensure accuracy.

BTW your template is bad for phones. Half your text is being covered by images in your description.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Most AI writing is rubbish, but OP's example is stunningly bad - wall o' text in what...3 point?  I've always avoided catalog descriptions because, yes, they frequently do not match and besides, I can write my own drivel. I even used to get paid to do it.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

What template?  I used the magic of MS Paint to drop the image on top of the other image so you could enjoy the juxtaposition of Hello Kitty and prison sim.  Amazing I know.  These computers can do anything. 

Except pull the correct catalog information when the correct UPC is entered, whoopsy. 

https://www.upcitemdb.com/upc/755142711627

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

You are using the wrong GTIN. Your image shows a UPC different than you submitted. Your UPC is for a prison tycoon game.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

And here I was amused at the thought of Hello Kitty Prison Girlfriends.  All for nothin'. 

That's fine, I can go and find 57 other catalog listings where Ebay's information is completely wrong, if any of that stuff made any difference for sales, which it doesn't....

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

You literally said you had the right UPC. I wouldn't even need to use any searches simply matching your picture to your item specifics.

But I mean eBays AI is bad, but also not mandatory to use. If someone wants to use it, I really don't care.

However, if you want it to write at least some what better you gotta feed it accurate information.

That listing is currently INAD, and it's not from the AI description.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

My automation listing creator would write this... not great but I'm lazy and rather bots do stuff for me.

Best friends forever! Kitty's got more than 10 of her buddies here to help you have 8 totally awesome arcade-style games. Hop on the Bubble Gum Taxi and fit those puzzle pieces before the conveyor belt moves too fast! If you finish the puzzles, you'll get to see a beautiful Hello Kitty image! Or jam to Pie Poppin' Dance- matching the falling fruit fillings with each one of Kitty's pals. Act quick, and Kitty will move faster on the dance floor!

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Great.   A lovely description.  Now we just have the problem that nobody ever reads. They look at the first 2 pictures and read the title.  I don't suppose you have a fix for human nature?

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

The problem actually goes deeper though, because pretty much every seller with this same game, has the same Prison Tycoon description.  The UPC I linked appears to be the correct game, but it's a UPC pulled in from the catalog...the UPC on the case is actually different. 

Here's an example from another seller. 

blurryrobot_0-1692777807907.png

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Google on the UPC you provided shows multiple databases with the tycoon game.

The UPC you provided is invalid on my Amazon seller account for product search.

The actual UPC on the product is the correct one and comes up in Amazon's seller central.

Also note having a picture of UPC and UPC recorded on the listing being a mismatch is INAD.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

No matter what you say, it's still somehow ebay's fault. 

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Thanks for the note on the phone display. 

I am talking about how, on many listings, the eBay "catalog" adds incorrect item specifics and a product description generated by AI. GTINS are not added by us - ever. The seller has NO choice as to whether the catalog picks up their listing.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply