cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neutral Feedback Received

Hello! 

I started selling clothes on eBay in November and had 100% positive feedback until yesterday. Customer who purchased item over a month ago left neutral feedback commenting item is "too faded".  I would be okay with the rating if buyer hadn't also left that comment. It suggests I sell sub-par clothing, which is not the case. 

The item in question is a tie-dyed, retro t-shirt with "various hues of red" as stated in the listing condition and description and shown in 9 photos at various angles. I bought the t-shirt brand new and its the same color/fade now as it was then.   

I accepted buyer's offer of 50% off listed price even though it had only been up a week, and delivered package to USPS the next business day. An ice storm created a shipping delay which I monitored and communicated with buyer and got a short, snippy response back. Buyer received item the following day (8 days elapsed), which was earlier than its projected delay. I also sent buyer a 20% off coupon for the inconvenience. 

Fast forward to yesterday...buyer rates me without any attempt to communicate.  In response, I sent a very professional communication inviting the buyer to suggest what I can do to turn this into a "win-win" situation (without specifically asking buyer to retract their feedback....yet). 

Should I refund the cost of the t-shirt and allow them to keep it? I don't feel it's fair if buyer also wants shipping refunded. Thoughts? Is there anything else I can/should do?  And how long do I have to wait for buyer's response before asking eBay if they'll consider removing the neutral feedback? Or will they? Do I accept it and move on?  Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I would not communicate any further.  Just move on.   Neutrals do not affect your feedback, you are still 100%.   I do not worry about feedback.  

I have been an online seller for many years.  I do not communicate with the buyer unless they send me a message first.  I only refund when I get the item back due to a return.  I do not monitor tracking.  Once it is in the mail I forget about it.    

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

There’s no way eBay will remove that feedback if you request them to review it. I would simply take the neutral as I don’t think nearly as many buyers care about neutrals than negatives. You can always send a professional reply to the feedback offering the seller a return for refund, that shows other buyers that you’re willing to work with buyers and their complaints no matter how crazy they might be.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I would move on.  The only thing I would consider doing is offering a a return policy.  Stating no returns sometimes makes buyers that just want to return an item feel boxed in.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  Buyer responded but again very snippy, "a neutral is better than a negative". True, but it felt threatening. I issued a full refund including shipping & told her to keep the shirt. If she doesn't want to remove the neutral rating, that's on her--not me.  My conscious is clear, but she hasn't retracted it...maybe next month. 🙂

A lesson for me, for sure. Thanks again!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Neutrals mean nothing. You worries and stressed over nothing. Feedback is just one of those things sellers obsess over, and it makes no difference to anyone other than the seller. 

Secondly, you refunded for no purpose. Meaning you just threw the money away for no reason. The buyer will not revise the feedback. If they did, it would probably be a neg in this situation. Sometimes it's better to just leave the situation alone and block the buyer. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply