cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Feedback on a Declined Cancellation

eBay's policy on Cancellation Requests clearly states that the Seller can accept or decline a Cancellation.  I received a Cancellation Request from a Buyer an hour after he ordered something on a Saturday.  He apparently didn't read the description or the title on the item for sale.  I have a warehouse that packs and ships all of my inventory.  The warehouse is 4 hours driving distance from my office.  The shipping staff work weekends, but they do not take phone calls and they are not on e-mail.  We use an order system that they can pull down orders once submitted that generate a FedEx label and they pull the item, pack and ship.

When a Cancellation Request comes in over the weekend or after hours, I currently have no method to stop the order.  It gets packed and sent over to FedEx over the weekend.  This particular order was for a mere $108 and shipping was included for an 11-pound package, and unfortunately it was from a Buyer in Alaska.  So even though I didn't want to take this order, I bit the bullet and submitted the order to the Shipping Department.   

Then comes the Cancellation Request about an hour later.  I declined it because I had no way to stop it.  I wrote a nice response to the Buyer (on Saturday) telling him that I could not stop the shipment and had to decline the cancellation.

So the Buyer writes negative feedback because I declined the order.  I submitted it to eBay for review, and they are siding with the buyer and won't remove the negative feedback.  eBay policy clearly states that the Seller can Decline or Accept a Cancellation Request.  What eBay policy doesn't warn you is that the Buyer is free to trash your reputation because you followed eBay policy.  Why is eBay allowing these Cancellation Requests?  I can see sending a Cancellation Request within 5 or 10 minutes max, but not longer.  I cannot tie up inventory that can be sold on a different sales channel waiting for a potential Cancellation Request.  I cannot hold up shipping of orders over the weekend and have the shipping department sit on their hands waiting for potential Cancellation Requests.  What if I have a Buyer that wants a helmet that was already sold on eBay.  Do I tell him "I don't know if it is available yet, as I have to wait another hour or more to see if my Buyer on eBay is going to cancel"?  eBay, let me let you in on a little secret that other sales channels already understand:  A Sale is a Sale.  I accept refunds for any reason, including buyer remorse, but I cannot hold items hostage while Buyers figure out whether or not they really want to buy something.  

Accepting or declining your cancellation request

The seller can either accept or decline your cancellation request.

In the meantime as I sort through this, I have now changed my eBay business policy to exclude shipping to AK, HI and PR.  I have everything set as "free shipping", but I usually cringe when I get orders from AK or HI for over-sized items.  Most of what I sell is large.  I will no longer respond to eBay messages, Cancellation Requests or Return Requests after hours or on weekends.  I responded to this particular Buyer's Cancellation Request on Saturday as a courtesy, but it burned me in the end since he thought I could wiggle my nose and magically stop this shipment that was already in process.  The Managed Payments process at eBay is a nightmare as they hold onto money way too long.  Selling goods on Friday won't hit your bank account until some time the following Wednesday.  I did a Refund on a Friday afternoon after I received a return, and eBay took it from my bank account immediately on Friday, even though they had payouts of mine that I didn't get until Wednesday.  Funny how that works.  It takes 4-5 days for them to send you your own money, but an hour for them to take your money.

Sorry for the book.  This is very frustrating.  I have been slowly ending listings on eBay after I was forced into Managed Payments.  I don't see an end in sight for eBay to realize that they don't have a business without Sellers.

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Negative Feedback on a Declined Cancellation

You should read the novel, its a good read, very sad response: "a buyer can leave negative feedback for whatever reason". Oh **bleep**, it rained today, I think I'll leave a negative to that seller that went above & beyond for me even though I don't understand " a sale is a sale".

Message 46 of 51
latest reply

Its a loan, BY ALL means

Message 47 of 51
latest reply

Looked at a number of your listings and you have the same pictures as other dropshippers have. I think the story about employees being locked in without any means of communication is just that, a story and that you are drop shipping.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 48 of 51
latest reply

@varebelrose wrote:

Denying a buyer's request to cancel will never work out well for a seller. Ever.

I disagree.  The buyer left negative feedback because they did not receive something to which they were not entitled.  Frankly, the OP is perfectly within his rights to deny the cancellation.  In my opinion, eBay should remove the feedback since it mentions something that the buyer was not entitled to under eBay's own rules.  With eBay being eBay is not known for following their own rules so the OP is pretty much stuck with the neg.  However, encouraging bad behavior in buyers by putting it in the heads of sellers that they must bow to such demands of buyers in order to avoid receiving an unjustified bad feedback is not, in my opinion, the way to go.

Buyers need to read and understand the entire listing before placing their order.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 49 of 51
latest reply

Honestly so true. This guy isn't running a proper business if his employees have no access of communication to recieve calls or emails about canceled orders.. then he is annoyed about a negative review after such business practices. 

Message 50 of 51
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 51 of 51
latest reply