cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW eBay Guaranteed Delivery Thread

Its important. Its bound to drag exposure for regular listings down even further. Now that the TRS discount is slashed in half, its not worth having 1 day handling for many sellers (like myself) anymore. Not everyones orders go in bubble wrappers and small boxs. Its just not worth it if your packing heavy or big, time consuming orders anymore. Dropping TRS and not opting into this new program thats horrible for average to medium sized sellers, will push listings further and further down the page for otherwise great sellers.

As the article im posting a link to at the bottom mentions, ebay does intend for us to pay for the shipping refund a buyer gets if their package is past the guaranteed date. Money will come from our pockets. So if your not big enough to absorb the losses, or sell items with many many multiples where its finacially worth it to do everything to stay on the top of the list. For the average seller of single item listings though, your getting the shaft. 

Ebays new changes make it so you have to jump through hoops to get the TRS exposure (because the discount is almost useless now). Take 30 day returns and ship next day for peanuts, but if you dont, exposure goes down. Now with this and the new promoted listings, you will have to pay ebay way more in for the listing, AND have to refund shipping (or take it back if they want) if it doesnt make it in 3 days. 

So, if we dont want to get buried by big business compitition, and continue to get the same exposure we get today, we would need to continue to jump through hoops for the now useless TRS Plus listing discounts, pay extra for promoted listings, and offer 3 day guaranteed delivery or the shippings free. Just to end up at the same exposure. As it sits now only bigger companies can afford to absorb all these expenses. Its just wrong.

Is this the new direction the new young CEO wants to go? Hes dong a major diservice to many of his best sellers. He seems to forget that unlike Amazon (Amazon Prime - which is what he is attempting to compete with), ebay doesnt have a warehouse full of employees to expidite shipping. Plus they dont own the merchandise, nor have 3rd party items in their possession. Its not their guarantee to make, and to then make US refund shipping if its a day past their made up date!? Ridiculous. 

Am I alone on this one?

Under the new eBay program, if a product doesn't arrive in the guaranteed time, both eBay and the seller will chip in to refund shipping costs. If an item was shipped for free, eBay and the seller will provide an eBay coupon, expected to be $5, Lawton said. Two-thirds of the products on eBay include free shipping, according to the company.

Message 1 of 156
latest reply
155 REPLIES 155

Re: NEW eBay Guaranteed Delivery Thread

How do you opt out???  I have been looking how to and I can't even find that.

Message 151 of 156
latest reply

I couldn't fit it either.
Message 152 of 156
latest reply

?I will be adding a disclaimer to every one of my listings pointing that out, that the United States Postal Service does NOT, and NEVER has, guaranteed delivery times, and any statements made by any entity to the contrary are blatently false."

I believe you are right about this except for overnight. USPS doesn't even stand behind priority.

Message 153 of 156
latest reply

you should always take the time to physically hand your packages to the clerk.  that is the only way you know you have delivery confirmation for that item.

lookwhatbobfound
Message 154 of 156
latest reply

Starting off with DSR ratings and it's stupidity like a rating on shipping charges  and the Ebay best match search which served to influence the bottom line for all sellers making the bottom line lower for a majority of sellers because buyers many times do not see the seller listings that are not favored in the Ebay world because of this system Ebay has lowered its own bottom line. This new Guaranteed delivery will further serve to open the customers of Ebay namely it's sellers up to more losses. Who really wants to allow the possibility of refunding shipping charges to a customer because something arrives late by one day??? This reminds me of 29 minutes or the pizza is free or lifetime warranty for wear on brake pads. The pizza idiots that did that got sued for driver accidents and the wear warranty on brake pads soon faded.  Remember the lifetime warranty on mufflers in the northeast. Ebay has sellers as it's customers and my feeling is that the bottom line for sellers via best match has lowered the final price on most Ebay auctions. Tough to say what can be done but selling has gotten harder and perhaps Ebay will recognize this but till then TRS has very little value. I think opting out of slow shipping refunds is a smart move just to avoid the extra hassle is best.

Message 155 of 156
latest reply

My sales are down 25% on last year since July.

My shipping is same day but I can't use garanteed delivery because the "make an offer" function does not work with it. I am the sole earner in my family, mostly from Ebay, even though I sell on all the major sites plus my own.

If anyone has any info to help, I would appreciate it.

Message 156 of 156
latest reply